Braves Join Falcons in Abandoning Perfectly Good Facility

BlueSky

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta: WOAH YEAH NEW STADIUM WOOOOOOOT

Meanwhile in Oakland:

F :censored: the Giants for making us stay in this hellhole.

OITGDMLB

Nah after today people in the Bay Area are saying ":censored: Livermore for not giving the A's $400 million dollars!"

Having been through Atlanta a couple of times in traffic, I couldn't agree more of getting a new stadium in Cobb County. It would help alleviate the situation somewhat and it could also help their attendance situation (not as bad as the Rays or A's). I also think the move to Cobb County is reflecting demographic trends (more people are moving there from the north) with most of the season ticket holders are outside of the metro area and it could attract new fans with the ease of access. Plus, there isn't as much of a worry about gang activity there in Cobb County (I don't know too much) as in downtown Atlanta. I know that Turner Field is a solid facility, but the Atlanta Braves are a business and anything that could help them stay afloat in the profit/loss department is always a good thing.

From Deadspin:

ku-xlarge.jpg

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Having been through Atlanta a couple of times in traffic, I couldn't agree more of getting a new stadium in Cobb County. It would help alleviate the situation somewhat and it could also help their attendance situation (not as bad as the Rays or A's). I also think the move to Cobb County is reflecting demographic trends (more people are moving there from the north) with most of the season ticket holders are outside of the metro area and it could attract new fans with the ease of access. Plus, there isn't as much of a worry about gang activity there in Cobb County (I don't know too much) as in downtown Atlanta. I know that Turner Field is a solid facility, but the Atlanta Braves are a business and anything that could help them stay afloat in the profit/loss department is always a good thing.

From Deadspin:

ku-xlarge.jpg

I find this map to be fascinating. One, for the almost solid red sections, but also for the large mostly-white swath across the southern half of the city.

What's in the those areas? Fewer residents or lower incomes?

I feel a Freakonomics feature in the near future.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

From Deadspin:

ku-xlarge.jpg

That would make for one heck of a Rorschach test

I saw, I came, I left.

From Deadspin:

ku-xlarge.jpg

I find this map to be fascinating. One, for the almost solid red sections, but also for the large mostly-white swath across the southern half of the city.

This map shows where the season ticket holders are located in Atlanta. The new stadium will be located right in the the bright red (most ticket holders per square area). And also read the article from where the map came from.

http://deadspin.com/reports-braves-leaving-atlanta-for-cobb-county-1462167449

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Having been through Atlanta a couple of times in traffic, I couldn't agree more of getting a new stadium in Cobb County.

Ummm...You must have never been in traffic on I-75 going north. The I-75, I-285 intersection (aka the new stadium location) is miserable in its current form. And there's no MARTA access up there, so they may have to build a new line, which will take more tax payer money.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

What is the possibility/probability that the public funding portion of the project would have to come to a ballot measure?

Probably zero. They were very careful not to let that happen on the Falcons stadium because polls show voters are overwhelmingly against it.

My understanding is that this was why Cobb County was selected - they can add that $600 million of public financing onto existing county taxes without requiring a public vote.

Atlanta: WOAH YEAH NEW STADIUM WOOOOOOOT

Meanwhile in Oakland:

F :censored: the Giants for making us stay in this hellhole.

OITGDMLB

It's not MLB's fault at all.

Blame your owners for making a bad deal. And then start compensating the owners of the Giants if you want to talk about taking away some of the assets they paid very good money for.

From Deadspin:

ku-xlarge.jpg

This map shows where the season ticket holders are located in Atlanta. The new stadium will be located right in the the bright red (most ticket holders per square area). And also read the article from where the map came from.

http://deadspin.com/reports-braves-leaving-atlanta-for-cobb-county-1462167449

No, it shows the location of all ticket purchasers in 2012. Not season ticket holders. There aren't millions of season ticket holders.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

What's the solid red splotch south of the city?

Very interesting wording that the new stadium will still have "an Atlanta address." I'm guessing this means that the park will be in unincorporated Cobb County, which has an Atlanta mailing address, despite not being in Atlanta?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This has got to be frustrating for some when there's teams like Oakland playing in total crap-holes and cant get a new place for the life of them.

This was what fans in Boston had to deal with as well until 1995. There were teams on their second and even third arenas with capacities over 18000+, while we got to swelter in the 70-year-old Boston Garden, without any video screens, and a Lite-Brite message board on the balcony façade.

Combine that with the hastily-built toilet bowl that was Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium, and the Boston area was one of the worst places as a fan to go see the home teams.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

What is the possibility/probability that the public funding portion of the project would have to come to a ballot measure?

Probably zero. They were very careful not to let that happen on the Falcons stadium because polls show voters are overwhelmingly against it.

My understanding is that this was why Cobb County was selected - they can add that $600 million of public financing onto existing county taxes without requiring a public vote.

But can they support that kind of funding. Or are the leaders of cobb setting themselves up for a big fall...

The red on the map also unofficially shows where the 'money' of metro Atlanta resides.

Personally, I like it, as the Braves would be playing closer to where I live. I make enough drives downtown. But there's multiple reasons why the Braves are considering this, despite their building being under 20 years old:

-It's not like public transportation was helping the Braves before. Closest train station is a mile away, and the shuttle service is lousy, at best. The train system is a joke....only two lines, and hardly ventures outside I-285. Since most folks like OTP, it makes little sense for them to drive halfway to the stadium before hopping on a train that is often behind schedule.

-Much like the Georgia Dome, the Braves ownership only owns the operating rights to Turner Field. The city actually owns the stadium. Much like how Falcons owner Arthur Blank wants a bigger cut of the profits, that's what the Braves want as well. Too many hands in the pot cutting into profits.

-The Braves haven't been happy with the city with the fact that the city hasn't done anything in over 50 years to entice fans on making attending a Braves game a full-day experience, like having multiple bars, restaurants, or any other attractions next to the ballpark. It may be downtown, but it's surrounded by a couple interstates and houses.

-Most of the attending fans (as well as the money of the city) live in the suburbs. Traffic on I-285 isn't really much worse than what you get coming into town on I-75/85...and you still get to the ballpark quicker than using Marta.

-A new stadium increases the value of a team, and Liberty Media has made it known that they'll sell the team at some point.

But can they support that kind of funding. Or are the leaders of cobb setting themselves up for a big fall...

Cobb's not a second-coming of Glendale, if that's what you're aiming for......

What's the solid red splotch south of the city?

Very interesting wording that the new stadium will still have "an Atlanta address." I'm guessing this means that the park will be in unincorporated Cobb County, which has an Atlanta mailing address, despite not being in Atlanta?

Solid red is Peachtree City, which is a golf cart city. Make of that what you will.

And yes, that part of Cobb is considered Atlanta. The site is maybe a mile from Fulton County?

Georgia has the second most counties in the US with 156 159, behind only Texas. Kentucky and Missouri are somehow third and fourth.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived