Ren I gotta say this, ya are definitely one god blessing talented guy!!!!!! wow I'm speechless at the work on the old logos to make them more modern without messing with the history.. wow.. .wonder what program ya use for this?? I am thinking about doing something like this but am not sure how to properly do it well enough similar to what ya are doing.. just speechless at all the work. havent gotten all the way halfway thru this topis as I wanna reply and etc.. wow...

• Like 1

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Ren I gotta say this, ya are definitely one god blessing talented guy!!!!!! wow I'm speechless at the work on the old logos to make them more modern without messing with the history.. wow.. .wonder what program ya use for this?? I am thinking about doing something like this but am not sure how to properly do it well enough similar to what ya are doing.. just speechless at all the work. havent gotten all the way halfway thru this topis as I wanna reply and etc.. wow...

Thank you for the very kind words Northstar74. I've had some help along the way (& still getting some) from other talented artists here who have been generous enough to lend a helping hand (THANK YOU ALL)! Hopefully you get a chance to go thru all 60 pgs, if you don't I posted a couple videos on I believe it's pgs 47 & 48 that give you a little insight into how I go about doing these. I use Illustrator by the way. Thanks again for all the positive feedback & hope to see some work from you real soon. Best of luck to you!!

@ramsjetsthunder...Chicago Packers logo has been done, it's post #604 on pg 31.

Ren.. a question.. I did see that 2nd part of the tutorial and am still curious... want to know if you have had to copy the old logo the older version and do a side by side work with the original logo and the 2nd side of the improved logo by tracing and putting in specific colors to match up? I used to do some tracing by hand on some NHL logos years ago and colored them.. but lately been too lazy with printing the specific logos out and laminating them (that I havent done in what, over 10 years now..)

I would love to try my hand at this via Illustrator which you have mentioned I did download the trail version but am puzzled as to how to put side by side the original logo before the re working, you know? Hard to explain this without messing everything up.. seeing all these original logos and the results of the logos improved beyond any imagination has gotten me thinking about trying again with tracing and working on logos after these years... i would have to try to practice on a simple logo to get the general idea of what you have been doing and then that will give me basically everything that has been done with the specific logo to be reworked.. btw that Atlanta Hawks logo on page 57 I think.. that one even blew me away and tat other logo of that Hawks logo in the Sports Logos website really need to be fixed up good!!!! wow... just speechless for sure still after getting thru this entire topic.. some amazing work and more... wow... I bow my head to ya, ya are indeed the top man!

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

NorthStar74, first of all thank you for all the kind words! I'm glad you took the time to check out the whole thread...don't think many want to or have the time to go through 60 pgs. Hope I'm understanding your question correctly, when it comes time to add in the colors I simply copy & past the original logo into my art board then just use the eye dropper to match the colors from the original to mine. Hope that was the response you were looking for, If you hv any other questions feel free to ask away! Good luck & hope to see some art work from you sometime.

Ren.. a question.. I did see that 2nd part of the tutorial and am still curious... want to know if you have had to copy the old logo the older version and do a side by side work with the original logo and the 2nd side of the improved logo by tracing and putting in specific colors to match up? I used to do some tracing by hand on some NHL logos years ago and colored them.. but lately been too lazy with printing the specific logos out and laminating them (that I havent done in what, over 10 years now..)

I would love to try my hand at this via Illustrator which you have mentioned I did download the trail version but am puzzled as to how to put side by side the original logo before the re working, you know? Hard to explain this without messing everything up.. seeing all these original logos and the results of the logos improved beyond any imagination has gotten me thinking about trying again with tracing and working on logos after these years... i would have to try to practice on a simple logo to get the general idea of what you have been doing and then that will give me basically everything that has been done with the specific logo to be reworked.. btw that Atlanta Hawks logo on page 57 I think.. that one even blew me away and tat other logo of that Hawks logo in the Sports Logos website really need to be fixed up good!!!! wow... just speechless for sure still after getting thru this entire topic.. some amazing work and more... wow... I bow my head to ya, ya are indeed the top man!

What post # was the tutorial?

Anubis.png

What post # was the tutorial?

Think it was on page 43 or 44 or 45...

NorthStar74, first of all thank you for all the kind words! I'm glad you took the time to check out the whole thread...don't think many want to or have the time to go through 60 pgs. Hope I'm understanding your question correctly, when it comes time to add in the colors I simply copy & past the original logo into my art board then just use the eye dropper to match the colors from the original to mine. Hope that was the response you were looking for, If you hv any other questions feel free to ask away! Good luck & hope to see some art work from you sometime.

Ahh.. ok but I also wonder about the tracing and copying of the specific logo onto the art board and then work on the outlines to darken and then do the colors.. that tracing thing I wanna know as I am trying but with some difficult time.. somehow cannot trace and copy well.. can you explain more in depth?

I use the pen tool to do my line work. If lines need to be thickened I use the offset path which can be found under objects/path/offset path or simply add a stroke to it. The stroke tool is found right next to your fill color at the bottom left hand of the tool bar, just select object you want to add an outline to then click stroke, select color and then at top where you see stroke in red letters there is a drop down with point sizes that lets you choose how thin or thick you want the stroke to be.

I don't quite have Ren's skills, and this is less a modernization, more a vectorization, although I took a few liberties. The font used was some sort of bastardized and slightly skewed Garamond Extra Narrow Extra Bold with the "g" and "s" replaced by something else, not sure what.

Billings_Bighorns.png

bighorns.png

Working from either the small gif from what I think was an embroidered logo or a screen printed jersey with the registration slightly off made it difficult. For instance, the red in the nostrils is probably meant to fill the whole space, but it was off so I went with it.