Amarillo, TX logo controversy

winters in buffalo

who do they think they are kidding trying to act like this is a fluke accident. The logos aren't similar.. they are EXACTLY exactly the same. Lay them over one another in photoshop to see. That's impossible to be a coincidence.

With stuff like this it boggles my mind WHY people do logo theft when the result is such a basic abstract logo. If you want a logo like that how hard is it for anyone with a tiny bit of creative skills draw yourself a star burst over a hoizon r whatever its supposed to be that looks different than the original one.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

As a resident of Amarillo and a identity designer this was hilarious to me. I helped break the story to shine some light on the misguided and corrupted leadership in our city.

It was “designed” by a college student at West Texas A&M University as she was also an intern for the City of Amarillo in the Communications Department. The city had hired a local agency to design the new logo and several versions were presented to them, however the city decided to go with the intern's lgoo. After the initial reaction on facebook of how this did not represent Amarillo, several people took to her facebook page to stand behind her, commenting that the logo was well done and she should be proud, that she should ignore the comments of narrow-minded individuals in Amarillo. However since the story broke that she committed plagiarism, her facebook has been silent, those that stood up for her have mysteriously disappeared.

As of last night the designer removed her facebook page and all other forms of social media.

So basically AT BEST the city is guilty of trusting an intern to design the logo to save money and this statement: "two City departments researched the artwork to avoid duplication with any similar mark and at the time did not find any similarities." is either completely made up or there is a scary amount of incompetence within those two departments. Please someone ask them exactly what "research" they did to avoid duplication when a 3 second google reverse image search shows it is stolen?

Either way, in the aftermath this City Spokeswomen Sonja Gross person is passing on the city's claim that its a coincidence .. what a joke. If she had any dignity she'd refuse to say that. Unless she agrees its an amazing coincidence in which case I really feel sorry for anyone who lives in that city.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

It will be interesting if it comes out as to whether the intern was paid for this or not. Unpaid interns have been a huge debate point here in Canada, and this could really be a lesson to all those involved.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 2 weeks later...

"Professional searches..." Yeah right. All it takes is a simple reverse image search on Google.

Also, the feigned ignorance of the city council is incredible. I'm not sure how anyone can fail to see that it's exactly the same logo.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

Archived