EPBL - Concept League

neilb

Hi All

As I have been member on here for a year now, I thought it was about time I put my head on the chopping block.

For my first attempt, I have delved into the realms of pure fantasy by creating an 8 team English Professional Baseball League.

First up is the League Logo and if that looks ok, I'll add a couple of teams.

ELPBLogo_zps6ea5ebca.jpg

Fair comments guys. I'm not used to other people seeing what I've done, and really, until that happens, I'm going to miss stuff, so thanks.

Anyway, next up are the TYNESIDE ANGELS - named after the iconic statue 'The Angel of the North' that stands adjacent to the A1 motorway in that area.

TynesideAngels_zps50b1d5cf.jpg

One thing that immediately jumps out at me looking at the team names - Humberside Auks. The old county of Humberside hasn't existed since 1996, and for the 20-odd years it was in existence it was very, very unpopular here to put it mildly.

From a local point of view 'Humber Auks' might be better, just referencing the river itself.

OK, Thanks for that, I didn't realize it was so unpopular, particularly as I had used the old Humberside Seahawks Hockey Club as a starting point, and I agree the use of just 'Humber' works well.

I suppose that means the HUMBERSIDE AUKS are next up :-

HumbersideAuks_zpsd6b759f9.jpg

Here are my biggest critiques after the first three.

- All three have the exact same design for the secondary logo (circle with writing in the border over crossed bats) and same general format for the primary logo.
- The differences in borders on the words for the Primary logo and Wordmark (the gold border on Auks being a different width than in the primary logo, the red fill/gold fill on the Lords).

- Your primary logos don't all need words (the Angels would stand alone quite well with just the "T", wings and halo)

- A Cap logo. (The only one I quickly saw on a hat was the "HA" letters from the secondary on the Auks.)

However, they're well done. Crisp, clean logos. Good colors.

OK, Thanks for that, I didn't realize it was so unpopular, particularly as I had used the old Humberside Seahawks Hockey Club as a starting point, and I agree the use of just 'Humber' works well.

Yep, the Seahawks were around prior to Humberside being abolished - after that they became the Kingston Hawks.

I still get annoyed at junk mail that reckons I live in 'Humberside'. Heh. ;)

Thanks for those comments guys.

A couple of things, which in hindsight I should have pointed out at the start.

Although this is a concept league, I've tried to think of it as if it was for real.

Some of the team names have been for areas/regions (Tyneside, Humberside, Merseyside, South Coast) rather than individual cities in an attempt to maximise the number of fans.

Also, I decided at the outset that because this was effectively a new pro sport in a new country then at least one of each teams logos needed to indicate that the team played baseball. In the end I decided to make all the secondary logos similar.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyway onwards and upwards

Next up is the SOUTH COAST BLUESHARKS named after the nomadic predator that is sometimes seen off these shores.

SouthCoastBluesharks_zpsbed97c24.jpg

Thanks for the comment. The answer regarding the uniforms would have to be no.

Don't know why, but I can't seem to get interested in 'em

If I do another concept league I'll maybe think about it though.

Next up is the COVENTRY MERCIANS - named after the people who inhabited central England many moons ago. ( I suppose if they were a hockey team they might have been known as Les Mercs!)

For awhile they were ruled over by King Leofric whose personal device was reportedly a Double Headed Eagle.

CoventryMercians_zps4b0590e8.jpg

I feel that the bow on the primary needs some work...

I agree. The arrow needs to be at a right angle to the bow, with its fletching placed to the centre of the string and pulled right back - there'd be no power behind the shot with how it's positioned at the moment. He needs to be a bit more like this chap...

naew.png

At the moment, the Hoods' archer looks like he's not yet got the bow ready, so it lacks a feeling of movement and power - it should really look like he's about to loose the arrow in a split second.

Archived