2014-15 Soccer Kits & News (too early? nah)

Conrad.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from the news conference on the Timbers2 announcement. Interesting uni-related detail: The first 1,975 season ticket holders — 1975 being the Timbers' date of origin — will be given certain "ownership" benefits, including picking the beers on tap and choosing which uniform the club will wear on every game day.

"The 2 typeface is part of the same font family as the numbers found on the original 1975 Portland Timbers NASL kits"

Also a very generic athletic block font used on a gazillion sports teams' uniforms from youth teams to high school teams, college teams, to major league baseball. Nothing unique about that font choice and seems exceptionally lazy to plop it on the logo the way they did.

I personally think the Timbers' current secondary logo wins the battle of the axes.

5h26mfp2k7g3987avzrf6n34g.png

Agree but the hatchet breaking the outer circle brought nothing but a lack of unity, a lack of wholeness and failure in the pursuit of perfection - Hopefully the new logo resolves these issues

S2_1240x700.jpeg?gXTWdGkXzAFBctS5yaxjpMC

Not to be outdone, the Sounders, mere hours later, announced a new USL PRO team of their own, named you guessed it...Sounders FC 2, AKA S2. And apparently this is the logo. Brutal.

Press Release

http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2014/10/14/sounders-fc-unveils-second-team-sounders-fc-2

The concept here is that you are playing in the developmental team and you are playing for the right to earn the badge (i.e. play for the real Sounders)

What I also find interesting is 20% of the team is going to be owned by a supporters group.

I like that

S2_1240x700.jpeg?gXTWdGkXzAFBctS5yaxjpMC

Not to be outdone, the Sounders, mere hours later, announced a new USL PRO team of their own, named you guessed it...Sounders FC 2, AKA S2. And apparently this is the logo. Brutal.

Press Release

http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2014/10/14/sounders-fc-unveils-second-team-sounders-fc-2

The concept here is that you are playing in the developmental team and you are playing for the right to earn the badge (i.e. play for the real Sounders)

I like that, but guess they don't intend to sell much merchandise. Because then what are you doing, working towards the right to cheer for the real Sounders?

Archived