NFL Champions League - Congrats 49ers! 2013 Champions League Title

Guest darkpiranha

Guest darkpiranha

2013 NFL regular season is over. What's ahead for the NFL Champions League. The Patriots and 49ers both finished the regular season at 4-0, resulting in the NFL playoffs to provide the tiebreaker.

First tiebreaker is head-to-head playoff matchup. The only way the Patriots and 49ers play head to head would be in the Super Bowl. That would be the Champions League's dream scenario. To do so, each team will need to be successful in the NFL playoffs. Each conference has two CL teams in it. The AFC has the Broncos and Patriots. The NFC has the 49ers and Packers. So that gives both the Patriots and 49ers one chance at accumulating pre-Superbowl points. Here are some potential ways the season could end.

Patriots vs 49ers in Super Bowl. Winner earns Champions League title, regardless of other results in NFL playoffs.

Patriots beat Broncos in AFC Championship game and Packers in Superbowl equalling 4 playoff CL points.

Patriots beat Broncos in AFC Championship game and lose to Packers or any other non-49ers team. 2 playoff CL points.

Patriots lose to Broncos in AFC Championship game. Zero playoff CL points.

Patriots win any number of games, including Super Bowl, without playing any CL teams. Zero playoff CL points.

49ers beat Packers in NFC Wildcard round one and Broncos in Super Bowl. 4 playoff CL points.

49ers beat Packers in NFC Wildcard game and lose to Broncos in Super Bowl. 2 playoff CL points.

49ers lose to Packers in NFC Wildcard game. Zero playoff CL points.

49ers win any number of games, including Super Bowl, without playing any CL teams. Zero playoff CL points.

The 49ers are in the best shape at the moment, because they are the only team currently guaranteed to play at least one CL game in the NFL playoffs. In fact, the Patriots only real chance at this point is to meet and defeat the 49ers in the Super Bowl because San Francisco will own any tiebreaker. If San Francisco loses to the Packers this weekend, the Patriots will need to hope both they and the Broncos make it to the AFC Championship game.

Good luck to all of this year's Champion's League finalists!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

i1n8.jpg

With the eight divisions decided, we can formally unveil the 2014 NFL Champions League lineup.

We have four returning champions, and four teams looking for their first Star.

But we still have unfinished business for 2013.

Interesting scenarios darkp.

I'm wondering though if there would be a downside to having the CL championship and the league championship decided in the same game (Superbowl).

That scenario could be a bit of a buzzkill for the CL, by being overshadowed in using the same stage.

I'm thinking that if the CL championship isn't resolved by the end of the season, perhaps there should be some sort of way to crown a CL champion in the first playoff game.

So if, after that first playoff round, both CL finalists won, or, if both CL finalists lose, maybe a series of in-game tie-breakers would kick in....the first one being point differential. (wouldn't that screw up betting lines)

I just think that the CL Championship should have its moment in the spotlight all to itself.

Guest darkpiranha

I agree that the CL deserves its own spotlight, but the reality is that there's no guarantee any CL teams play each other in the NFL playoffs. There were two or three seasons where that's exactly what happened. So for this fictional league that's based on actual results, we're at the mercy of actual schedules. In a perfect world, the CL would have it's own championship game in the event of a regular season tie. Actually, in a perfecter world, every division winner would play each other every season, resulting in a fairer, more accurate assessment of who the best of the best is. But... the NFL only gives us four matchups between division winners every season, so that's the sample size we get to use. Hockey and basketball would allow for a full schedule where every division winner plays each other at least once.

In any event, it is what it is. Early on, my choice was to base the NFL Champions League totally on actual results rather than imaginary scenarios, so that locks me in to aligning with actual NFL regular season and playoffs.

Don't worry, I have a completely imaginary, ridiculous league coming up later this year that thumbs its nose at reality and tradition. I call it.... the NextFL.

Guest darkpiranha

49ers defeat Packers in first round of NFL playoffs, effectively securing all tiebreakers. The only route for the Patriots to win the 2013 Champions League title is to make it all the way to the Super Bowl and to defeat the 49ers head-to-head.

Guest darkpiranha

ixd6.jpg

The Divisional round of the NFL playoffs went according to Champions League form, and both the 49ers and Patriots move one step closer to a potential Champions League Title showdown in the Super Bowl. To date, a Champions League has never been decided in a head-to-head playoffs matchup, much less the Super Bowl itself, so this would be an historic occurrence (granted, the NFL Champions League only has a ten year history, but you gotta start somewhere).

Even if the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl, the only chance they have to win the tiebreaker is to face and defeat the 49ers, as San Francisco already owns all the other tiebreakers. Even with a Patriots CL victory over the Broncos, that would only give them another tie with the 49ers who already have earned an NFL playoffs CL victory over the Packers. So the tiebreaker defaults back to regular season points differential, which the 49ers win with a 21 point margin over the Patriots (68-47).

Should be an exciting pair of Conference Championships next weekend with a lot still on the line.

Guest darkpiranha

gwuf.jpg

Congratulations to the 2013 NFL Champions League Title winners, the San Francisco 49ers! The fell short of the Super Bowl, but won their second straight CL title.

As a result of their defeat at the hands of the Broncos, the Patriots were also eliminated from Champions League contention, finishing the NFL playoffs with no CL tiebreaker points, where the 49ers earned 2 CL points via their defeat of the Packers in the Wild Card round.

The 49ers will have to content themselves with back to back Champions League titles, as they will be unable to defend their title next year, due to the Seahawks winning the NFC West this year.

As is tradition, the Champions League winner gets to unveil a special version of their logo. The 49ers design pattern was revealed to be taking the 49ers base logo and placing a Champions Star filling the oval. This year the design is the same, but the colors are reversed, with the gold and red of the Star and oval swapping places. Should the 49ers win a third title in the future, it will be interesting to see how they tackle another variation of the colors (most likely the Star will be white or black).

Congratulations to the 49ers, and it's on to 2014!

Guest darkpiranha

Thanks! Don't think I'll be doing any other sports, as that's a lot more work. The NFL works perfect because it has a short season (16 games), lots of divisions (8), and a very structured schedule format that guarantees an identical number of games against each other for each division winner. It's a small enough sample size that it's easy to keep track of and for each CL game to have importance.

Besides, the NHL just totally changed it's league structure, so it would be a bit counter-productive unless it was starting from this season and going forward. That said, there was one other forum member who contacted me asking permission to do an NHL version of the Champions League, to which I granted him full permission, not that it was an idea I owned or was protective of, but I appreciated his asking. So hopefully he'll unveil his NHL Champions League in the near future.

This season was fun for me, but coming up with this idea mid-season meant that I missed a lot of the drama and anticipation leading up to a season. So when I resurrect this next season, I'll be able to hit it from day one. And it'll give me time to come up with all the fun ancillary products like you're famous for, Sparky.

Weren't you planning on making "What if" logos for teams that have never won a CL championship? It's ok if you weren't going to. This has been a good series and was wondering of there was more to come :-)

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Guest darkpiranha

Yes, I'm still planning on showing some of the 'leaked' logo designs from other teams that haven't yet claimed a CL title. I'd also be really curious to see what other members of this forum could come up with for some of the teams.

If you don't mind then, DarkP, I could take a shot at a few of them. Not saying that they'd be the best compared to what others would make, but I could take a shot at some like Houston and Detroit.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Guest darkpiranha

Go for it! Although Houston is pretty easy on the surface (and one of the leaked logos). An obvious star that can be replaced with the Champions League Star, so if you play around with Houston, go for something a bit less easy, lol. Haven't even thought about the Lions yet, of course, are the Lions EVER in danger of winning the CL?

Here it the official star in case you need it..

k8dx.jpg

Archived