Will Orlando City SC Announcements Address Branding?

BrandMooreArt

I spoke with the PR guy for the team last night and he told me that they have a firm working on a logo and it should be introduced in February or March.

interesting. if there's some good news about that it's they have the right amount of time to do something really good and cool.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

T

So now that it's official, how much longer will we have to wait in suspense?

good question. seems i got some bad info. tonights major announcement was that they were officially given the expansion by MLS. what everyone already knew, but i digress.

well, i'll just get into it then because i know OCS didn’t go with my logo :( But I did get to work on a concept for them and BrianInBoston put the pieces together as I was in that process. So, i’ve been excited to see what they selected and am excited about the MLS team in general, though tonight was a bit of a let down.

From best I can gather the team must have worked/are working with a few different agencies/studios and will select the one they like best. (NOT a contest, I got paid).

I guess it’s worth showing what I did. it's only a portfolio piece now. I worked with Three21 Creative in Orlando on a big proposal but due to a very short deadline I had to nail one good lion design, which is what I wanted to do anyway, rather than the 3 headed design like the original crest. We gave it our very best shot. Animal logos are tough, and I had some good eyes on Dribbble that helped including Fraser Davidson, and as far as I’m concerned what he has to say about logos is gospel and am always very appreciative of his help. This is what the team saw

4asb.jpg

973l.jpg

If there were more time I wanted to do a variation of the colors where a bright blue replaced red. That was something I just thought would work better, then I found this picture of the Magic Kingdom (below) and liked that idea even more. Bright blue seemed appropriate, attractive, and after finding some other uses of blue, purple, and gold I thought it would be a very unique and strong palette.

5n19.jpg

But now, I’m not sure which version I will show in my portfolio, where the blue in the mane reminds me of water, the red reminds me of flames and that’s just as cool : ) As of right now I have a blue one mocked up with some subtle changes in the teeth and whiskers.

48tq.jpg

Another idea I had was to do a front facing lion with hints of palm tree leaves in his mane. That was something I was a bit afraid to tackle due to time again, and thought it might be a bit too cheesy for a pro sports team. But still an idea I’d like to revisit in the future.

Phenomenal work, man.

Hate the team, hate the supporters, but good for them i guess. Soccer is growing, and I know that someone in the Rowdies front office is going to want something similar and compete with those jerks.

Plus, Purple.

My thoughts exactly.....

Pretty cool, man, even if they didn't choose yours. I had pretty much put two and two together between you staying quiet after I asked if you were involved and checking out your Dribble page. I think I prefer the blue treatment.Weird that I kind of accidentally bumped into someone attempting to revamp that here since, no joke, I've complained about it/half-heartedly told my wife that I should just contact someone at the OCS with a revamped version for, like, a year and a half every time we see it in any of the city papers, or on the news, or hear about them on TKS, etc. Guess I waited too long. :)

Thanks. I was waiting til today because i thought they would reveal a logo and just wanted to focus on that rather than an idea that got cut. But i feel bad adter building this up for nothing. Whatever they go with has to be better than what they have now. Hopefully they reveal it soon

Logo is ok. Little modern for my take but overall a job well done. My question is w/ the Soccer Lions name. Did they tell you to call them the Soccer Lions? Is the Soccer Lions tag currently used in existing OC branding ? Seems very odd. It was my understanding that they would just be called Orlando City w/ possibly the SC changed to FC for MLS. I thought the Lions monicker would just be used by supporters groups and not be used in an official trademark/wordmark capacity by the team.

I think if you take the Carolina Panthers logo on FootballasFootball.com, change the blue to purple, and then complete the C so it is an O it wouldn't be a bad start for a classic soccer crest.

Once that is done it still needs an additional modifier though.

Pretty cool, man, even if they didn't choose yours. I had pretty much put two and two together between you staying quiet after I asked if you were involved and checking out your Dribble page. I think I prefer the blue treatment.Weird that I kind of accidentally bumped into someone attempting to revamp that here since, no joke, I've complained about it/half-heartedly told my wife that I should just contact someone at the OCS with a revamped version for, like, a year and a half every time we see it in any of the city papers, or on the news, or hear about them on TKS, etc. Guess I waited too long. :)

Thanks. I was waiting til today because i thought they would reveal a logo and just wanted to focus on that rather than an idea that got cut. But i feel bad adter building this up for nothing. Whatever they go with has to be better than what they have now. Hopefully they reveal it soon

Logo is ok. Little modern for my take but overall a job well done. My question is w/ the Soccer Lions name. Did they tell you to call them the Soccer Lions? Is the Soccer Lions tag currently used in existing OC branding ? Seems very odd. It was my understanding that they would just be called Orlando City w/ possibly the SC changed to FC for MLS. I thought the Lions monicker would just be used by supporters groups and not be used in an official trademark/wordmark capacity by the team.

the official name as of now is the Orlando City Soccer Club Lions. weather they change that when they move to MLS or not i don't know, but i would imagine it would be Orlando City FC Lions. i asked Three21 Creative about the name, and we had decided to keep the current one for the proposal. the word mark could easily change. i think they will keep the Lions name. the owner has said he wanted to keep that, at least a lion in the logo, and the colors

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

the official name as of now is the Orlando City Soccer Club Lions. weather they change that when they move to MLS or not i don't know, but i would imagine it would be Orlando City FC Lions. i asked Three21 Creative about the name, and we had decided to keep the current one for the proposal. the word mark could easily change. i think they will keep the Lions name. the owner has said he wanted to keep that, at least a lion in the logo, and the colors

Interesting. Did a brief scan of their website and didn't see the word lions anywhere. Always thought Lions was similar to the Red Devils in Man Utd.

Yeah my understanding was that the club's official name is Orlando City Soccer Club, with Lions being an unofficial nickname. Personally I'd like to see the name remain the same. In the same way they plan to "own" purple, they can own SC, as no one else likes to use the word soccer in their name (except maybe Chicago who if I recall, are officially Chicago Fire Soccer Club?). Seems to me little reason to change the name, particularly if it's just to swap an S for an F.

Archived