Tottenham Hotspur forcing nonleague Fleet Spurs to change badge

AndrewPF

Lawyers for the Premier League side wrote to Fleet Spurs, from Hampshire, telling them to drop their crest.

The Wessex League Division One club said it was "heavy-handed" and changing their badge would cost them between £3,000 to £4,000.

Tottenham said they had to protect the club's identity.

Fleet Spurs were set up in 1948 in homage to the north London side by people returning from World War Two, although there are no official links between the clubs.

The Hampshire team have always incorporated a cockerel into their badge, in tribute to Tottenham, and said their current design was introduced after a fans' competition.

Fleet Spurs has decided to face these requests by playing the victim, apparently.

Bryan Sheppard, chairman of Fleet Spurs, said: "We haven't got a penny to our name, we couldn't afford to fight it.

"It's been quite stressful, we just felt really intimidated by the heavy-handed approach.

Fleet need to get over themselves and drop the persecuted victim act. IP theft is IP theft, and this is most certainly that.

_71114106_71114105.jpg

Source

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

If they've been using the crest—surely with Tottenham's knowledge since 1948—doesn't that pay some level of role here?

It said that they've always used a badge with a cockerel, which doesn't necessarily mean it was always the cockerel that Tottenham used. It also said that the current badge was designed by a fan for a competition, leading me to believe it may not have been in Fleet's badge until that contest.

If they've been using the crest—surely with Tottenham's knowledge since 1948...

Thing is though, they haven't - the crest they're currently using is relatively new. The Spurs crest they've clearly copied was only introduced in 2006, Fleet Spurs' crest originated after this date.

I'm curious as to what the old badges that have "always included a cockerel" looked like. Can't find a single example. I've googled to no avail.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Lawyers for the Premier League side wrote to Fleet Spurs, from Hampshire, telling them to drop their crest.

The Wessex League Division One club said it was "heavy-handed" and changing their badge would cost them between £3,000 to £4,000.

Tottenham said they had to protect the club's identity.

Fleet Spurs were set up in 1948 in homage to the north London side by people returning from World War Two, although there are no official links between the clubs.

The Hampshire team have always incorporated a cockerel into their badge, in tribute to Tottenham, and said their current design was introduced after a fans' competition.

So, they got their current badge for free, but it's going to cost them that much to get a new one?

Wouldn't it cost money to replace all the things with the current logo on it?

Most of the time when this happens with smaller schools and youth clubs, the old logo gets phased out over a period of time as the need for new equipment arises. With a soccer club, they'll need new equipment within the year anyway and it should already be in the budget. Sure, you might have to replace a logo or two on a building or scoreboard or the team business cards, but I think that this club is exaggerating a bit to play up the victim card...

Wouldn't it cost money to replace all the things with the current logo on it?

Yes, that's why you don't steal someone else's logo. Go the cheaper route and pay someone for an original design that won't result in legal fees and replacement fees down the road.

I was just trying to come up with an explanantion for GFB's question.

I suppose Fleet could try and take on Tottenham... but would only end up getting Levyed.

DanielLevyL_228x269.jpg

I don't think they'd have much of a case anyway, even before we introduce the formidable Levy Factor into the equation.

Anyway, it's interesting to see one Premier League club moving swiftly to protect its identity, whilst at exactly the same time another is actively doing everything it can to destroy theirs from within.

No names mentioned, like...

Have also have had a quick search for old Fleet Spurs badges to see how similar they have been to Tottenham over the decades. Not much luck. All the internet "news" seems to only concentrate on the current ones.

this link has one pic that I am guessing from context is an old Fleet Spurs badge (pic is 3rd small pic down):

http://fcboca.weebly.com/fleet-spurs.html

makes reference to a "Why Fleet Spurs Football Club ?" article or link but nothing is there for a link and a google search just comes up with a pdf that is dead or unaccessable to me. www.fleetspurs.co.uk/senior/pdf/Why_Fleet_Spurs.pdf‎

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

If they've been using the crest—surely with Tottenham's knowledge since 1948—doesn't that pay some level of role here?

It said that they've always used a badge with a cockerel, which doesn't necessarily mean it was always the cockerel that Tottenham used. It also said that the current badge was designed by a fan for a competition, leading me to believe it may not have been in Fleet's badge until that contest.

The other issue is that the 2006 remodelling of the badge will have been to do with trademarking, so prior to that date Fleet Spurs wouldn't have been breaking any laws. The reason several PL clubs have redesigned crest is precisely so they can protect their brand more strongly.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived