2016 NHL Outdoor Games (NIKE!)

TorinK92

So, time to throw my hat back into the concept ring for one short series at least. It involves the outdoor games in the 2015-16 NHL season, as we have no indicator on where any of those games may be. I'm also assuming that the Stadium Series carries on in it's current format. The games are as followed:

Winter Classic, January 2nd, 2016. Boston Bruins @ Minnesota Wild, TFC Bank Stadium

Stadium Series, January 29th, 2016. Buffalo Sabres @ Columbus Blue Jackets, Ohio Stadium

Stadium Series, January 30th, 2016. Edmonton Oilers @ Philadelphia Flyers, Lincoln Financial Field

Stadium Series, February 13th, 2016. Chicago Blackhawks @ St. Louis Blues, Busch Stadium (III)

Stadium Series, February 20th, 2016. Tampa Bay Lightning @ Carolina Hurricanes, Carter-Finley Stadium

Heritage Classic, March 6th, 2016. Montreal Canadiens @ Winnipeg Jets, Investors Group Field

Yes, there is a Canadian team in the Stadium Series, I think the Oilers could stand another go at an outdoor game.

First Up, the Winter Classic:

Minnesota was granted their first ever outdoor NHL game in October, 2015 and the opponent was soon revealed to be Boston, their second Winter Classic. The Wild went with a sweater hearkening back to the days of the North Stars in green, and the Bruins went to a fauxback based closely off of their original sweaters, except with the colours reversed to make the two teams legible against each other, giving a unique colour vs colour game.

minvboswc16.png

First Up, the Winter Classic:

Minnesota was granted their first ever outdoor NHL game in October, 2015 and the opponent was soon revealed to be Boston, their second Winter Classic. The Wild went with a sweater hearkening back to the days of the North Stars in green, and the Bruins went to a fauxback based closely off of their original sweaters, except with the colours reversed to make the two teams legible against each other, giving a unique colour vs colour game.

minvboswc16.png

I like the bruins, but maybe you could add a little more black to the jersey for the wild

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

As a Wild fan, I'm not sure why we'd play Boston in a Winter Classic if we are to ever host one. I would hope a divisional rival like Chicago or Winnipeg or even Dallas would be the opponent. The jerseys themselves are pretty well done, though.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

To go with both Nike's and the North Stars style I'd either go with yoke striping or maybe a white yoke, for Minnesota. Also, putting black in the logo would help. Boston's pretty good though.

What he said... Think black in the Wild logo would be good addition, especially as you have it in the old north stars striping... I realize the old stars logo had no black in it, but feel the Wild logo needs some black to make it stand out more on the jersey... Maybe just switch red and black on the original logo.

Boston is interesting concept, an away of their first uniforms... The design of it seems odd in comparison to the Wild/Stars... Don't know how a green vs yellow game would look either to be honest... Kudos for trying some different looks though. Maybe if one of the simpler stars jerseys without black were used the jerseys would match up à lil better against each other?

Look forward to the rest of the series along with hearing the thought process behind some of these match-ups.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived