2013 NCAA Football Playoffs!

4_tattoos

Let's be honest this would get lost in the major college football thread. Anyways here are links to the Division II & III brackets. FCS tournament bracket should be released by this time next week.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/d2/

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/d3/

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best friend plays for Illinois Wesleyan, so I'll actually be following the D3 playoffs this year. Gonna try to make it to the first round game on Saturday, but I also need to get home this weekend for Thanksgiving break so we'll see how that turns out. Go Titans!

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

VSU misses out on D2 Tourney because they tried to beat up Winston-Salem's QB. Whatever. I'm personally rooting for Hampden-Sydney in the D3 bracket. School I've passed by so many times. Josh Doggett is one of their starting LB's. He's second on the team in tackles, and he's from my high school. He's a very good player, I remember one game we played our arch-rivals and he posted 27 tackles. Surprised Hampden-Sydney was where he ended up. Great guy, even VT had visited a few times to check him out.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I really don't follow Division III very much, but I'm definitely supporting Galludet because these players have faced adversity that most teams don't.You see, Galludet is a school of the deaf and most, if not all, their players either are deaf or have hard time hearing what their coaches say. To win that conference title with the conditions the players have is truly heartwarming. It's just hard to not support them. :winner:

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Am I the only one that thinks the FCS and D2 National Championship games needs a proper name like D3 has? (Stagg Bowl)

Hell, I'd argue that the new FBS championship game under the upcoming playoff format could use a proper (non corporate) name. I'll assume they'll still be playing for that crystal football trophy. Just call it the Crystal Bowl (assuming that name doesn't already exist).

I know this conversation has been had a million times over but I was hoping to get answers as to how the FBS ended up not having a playoff system like FCS, D2, and D3? Well up until now anyway. It seems so simple. At the end of the regular season the best 24 teams are chosen to play for the title. How did D1/FBS get in such a nonsensical situation? I know dollar signs is an acceptable reason for why it hasn't changed, but how did it get to that point in the first place?

Pretty much all about money, those bowl games bring in cash. Traditionalist have stood in the way forever. NCAA never controlled the FBS/Division 1A post season.

Honestly I thought for the longest there should be a way to have bowls and the championship playoffs. Bowl games could just serve as a football NIT for teams (with winning records) that didn't make the playoffs. Honestly if it turns out that the playoffs are more profitable than the bowl system it will likely expand, decreasing the bowls' power in the process.

Winston-Salem State advances. I'm not totally sure, but this should be the last year WSSU has with players they recruited from the brief stint in FCS (2007-2010). If so this might be their last shot at winning the D2 Championship. Let's be honest, HBCU programs tend to be one and done in the playoffs. Having a core of FCS level players on their team really explains their deep playoff runs the last few seasons.

I made the trip down to see Illinois Wesleyan get destroyed 41-7 by Wartburg. It sounds like IWU played their worst game of the season and Wartburg's line dominated on both sides of the ball. At least they still know how to have a good time after the game.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The playoffs are set in the FCS level and here are the games for the 1st Round:

-Furman at South Carolina State

-Bethune Cookman at Coastal Carolina

-Lafayette at New Hampshire

-Southern Utah at Sam Houston State

-South Dakota State at Northern Arizona

-Samford at Jacksonville State

-Sacred Heart at Fordham

-Tennessee State at Butler

2nd Round:

-Furman/SCSU winner at North Dakota State

-BCC/CCU winner at Montana

-Lafayette/UNH winner at Maine

-SUU/SHSU winner at Southeastern Louisiana

-SDSU/NAU winner at Eastern Washington

-Samford/JSU winner at McNeese State

-SHU/Fordham winner at Towson

-TSU/Butler winner at Eastern Illinois

Pretty much what crash said. Sacred Heart is an NEC team. Not to mention that their schedule was pretty weak. Yes, they did have the Patriot League champs in Lafayette, but the Leopards are 5-6. Marist is co-champs in the Pioneer League, but lost the tiebreaker to Butler because... well, Butler was the better team (or so the big wigs in the PFL say). Then, they had two D-II teams on their schedule to boot.

It's weak as hell, man.

Archived