High School Football Playoffs

GriffinM6

Figured we could talk about local high school playoffs in this thread.

My school; Collins Hill advanced after winning 41-7 last week. We are in the Sweet 16 in 6A, and face a 1st seeded team who won a crappy region. We went 9-1 in the regular season, and were co-region champs with last year's state champs Norcross.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

My High school, Atlee finished the regular season 9-1. The first time in 20 years they beat both of the powers in our region, Varina and Highland Springs. They're the #2 seed in the VA 5A South bracket. The #1 seed hasn't lost a game in 3 years. We beat our first round opponent 23-7, we play Douglas Freeman this week, which was the only team we lost to in the regular season.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

In a shootout between our division foe, Tri-Valley, and Athens, TV was down 49-42 until they scored a TD with :20 remaining. They scored first in OT with a FG but Athens scored shortly after to win 56-52.

The Other 2 teams from our league lost but was also close. Maysville lost to Steubenville 22-20 and Philo lost 7-3 but I forget to who won. Overall, it was a good year for our league with 4/9 making their respected division's playoff. Zanesville, who is only a few minutes from the three teams, looks like they are contenders and are now ranked 106th in the country. I hope they win out and win their division

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I can comment on two states, where I used to live (Iowa) and where I live now (Washington).

Iowa: Only of the local (by local, I mean where I used to live) teams reached the UNI-Dome, where the semifinals and Championship games for each class is held. Kuemper Catholic, a 2A school in Carroll, made it to the championship game after being a semifinalist last season.

Washington: The quarterfinals are this weekend with Mark Morris (my mother's alma mater) hosting their game against Prosser in Vancouver with a trip to the Tacoma Dome on the line.

A friend of mine is the head coach at Tampa Catholic here in Florida. They won last Friday in the first round and head to Melbourne Central Catholic tomorrow. Class 3A finals are in Orlando on Dec if they win the next 2 weeks.

Two schools from my area (The Thumb of Michigan) are still alive in the playoffs: Peck and Harbor Beach.

Harbor Beach is playing on Saturday in Marquette against Ishpeming. Peck will play tomorrow in the 8-Man Football State Final game in Greenville against Rapid River. I'm going to Peck's game, should be a good one.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Well, the NC State Playoffs are set up for the wrong reasons, practically setting up the Charlotte area school to go to the championship, but I digress. My school, East Forsyth, plays West Forsyth tomorrow. The winner would have to play 2 straight Charlotte schools to get to the championship. Also, as a side note, the highest level we have is 4AA, which is equally dumb, because there are enough schools to fill at least 6 divisions.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

My alma mater, Sehome (Bellingham, WA) made the state playoffs this year with a record of 4-5, but then won district playoff games to advance to the State tournament for only the 6th time in their 46 year history and first since 1999. They were promptly blown out by Tumwater...

We're just not a football school...

I didn't have a horse in the race (in Wisconsin, you can get in the playoffs at 4-5. My alma mater hasn't had a winning season since 1993, and hasn't made the playoffs since 97.) , but I did manage to catch at least a few minutes of most of the seven state title games, usually held at Camp Randall on the Thursday and Friday before Thanksgiving. The Division 3 game between Monona Grove and Greendale was something of a tale of two halves, Greendale led 17-0 at halftime, and then for the second half Monona put out their best 90s Bills impersonation, took the lead with about a minute to go, and their D stood up in the face of a furious last minute drive, holding on to win 21-17. On a humorous note, Greendale happened to have a kid named Brees. Naturally, he wore #9, though he wasn't the QB (wideout/safety/punter).

The first game from yesterday, Black Hawk against Glenwood City (a 44-22 win in favor of BH), I found interesting due to the dueling option attacks on display: Glenwood City ran wishbone, and Black Hawk was running out of the Houston Veer.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I can comment on two states, where I used to live (Iowa) and where I live now (Washington).

Iowa: Only of the local (by local, I mean where I used to live) teams reached the UNI-Dome, where the semifinals and Championship games for each class is held. Kuemper Catholic, a 2A school in Carroll, made it to the championship game after being a semifinalist last season.

Washington: The quarterfinals are this weekend with Mark Morris (my mother's alma mater) hosting their game against Prosser in Vancouver with a trip to the Tacoma Dome on the line.

...and Kuemper goes on to win in a very close and fun game to watch.

We won 48-0 last night. We've out scored our 2 opponents 89-7. This week we play at home and face a 3 seed from a crappy region. We may have beaten two crappy teams so far, but we did beat the numbers one team in the state, and won some other crucial games. We are a very complete team on both sides of the ball.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Peck won last night, 67-32, over Rapid River. It's the fourth year in a row the 8-man state title was won by a team in the North Central Thumb League.

OTOH, Harbor Beach was blown out by Ishpeming, 44-10, today in Marquette.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Atlee wins 24-10 over Douglas Freeman last night. Considering we lost 7-30 to them earlier in Week 3, I'm pretty satisfied. We do have to play undefeated LC Byrd next week in the Virginia 5A South Regional Championship, aka State quarterfinals. I'm not expecting a W, but the team has gotten farther than they have in 20 years, and has the most D-1 recruits (2) since I can remember.

Man am I excited. We've our quarterfinal game tomorrow at home. It's gonna be a blackout for Black Friday. We had Taylor Heinicke 3 years ago and made the semis, but this year's team isn't just a one man show. We've got a complete team this year, and boy am I pumped.

spacer.png

Man am I excited. We've our quarterfinal game tomorrow at home. It's gonna be a blackout for Black Friday. We had Taylor Heinicke 3 years ago and made the semis, but this year's team isn't just a one man show. We've got a complete team this year, and boy am I pumped.

Didn't he break the single-game passing record at like 700+ passing yards? Either that or he came close, too bad Tech couldn't schedule ODU this or next year, it would be like playing an FCS team that counts as an FBS game.

So my boys at Atlee got their ass handed to them by LC Bird 46-10. Whatever, I'm happy. It was their best season in 25 years, it's too bad their likely going to suck by the time I'm a senior. Not to mention, the "dirty birdies" were playing like a bunch of dirty pricks. After the game was well in hand, their defenders were going right for best tackle who's going to FSU. Chopping at the knees, trying to get him injured. We took him out with 10 minutes left in the game, put our backups in. Our starters wanted to play, but they were getting injured and the Bird guys were trying to practically kill them. That coach has to be disgusted with himself, what a classless team.

We had the most heartbreaking loss ever. Down 18 at the half and we get a 4 point lead. The guy returns a punt for TD with a minute left. We're down three. We drive to the 10 and then our QB throws a pass right to the defender with 4.9 seconds left.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this up to say that Trimble High School, roughly 30 minutes from my house, finished runner-up in their state division. The Tom Cats are located in small-town Glouster, OH, a small town that was busy during the 60's and 70's, but is now almost a ghost town, located about 20 minutes from Athens. The filed used by Trimble only has one set of bleachers that practically sit on a huge stone wall. The Tom Cats ended the year 14-1, setting school records along the way. Multiple players on the team began the "Mohawk Mafia" around the community that has spread to fellow students, others in the community, and even one of the player's 80-some year old grandma. Their loss comes at the hands of Marion Local in a 33-0 loss. The team had been covered by the Columbus Dispatch, the Athens local paper, and even the local NBC4 station.

What gets me though is that about 8 or so of their players used to go to my high school and played there. We may have been better than 1-9 had they stayed. Oh well. I'm proud of them despite the 33 point loss.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Maryland State Champions

4A: Northwest Jaguars

3A: Franklin Indians

2A: Middletown Knights

1A: Fort Hill Sentinels

Washington DC City Champions

AA: H.D. Woodson Warriors

A: Archbishop Carroll Lions

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Maryland State Champions

4A: Northwest Jaguars

3A: Franklin Indians

2A: Middletown Knights

1A: Fort Hill Sentinels

Washington DC City Champions

AA: H.D. Woodson Warriors

A: Archbishop Carroll Lions

I kinda rooted for Suitland since they were the only PG school left in the state playoffs...........and Northwest beat them badly.

But Woah! Woodson beat Friendship Collegiate?? That just blew my mind. Major upset!

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Archived