CFL expansion

Ran815

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halifax, Quebec City & Yellowknife. Definitely. Take the CFL to 12 teams. Make it happen.

Now, for another go at the US? Oklahoma City, Austin, Birmingham (yes, Birmingham again), Portland, Knoxville and Los Angeles.

Why?

Oklahoma City has proven that it can and will support professional sports with the NBA's Thunder. Austin would be a natural rival for OKC, plus both would be able to market to and draw on their collegiate marketplaces. Similar qualifications for Birmingham (though I'd might call the team Alabama and split home games between Tuscaloosa & Auburn) and Knoxville. With their SEC ties, and again, working to market to and affiliate with their college bretheren, they should be able to draw from those audiences. Portland and Los Angeles would fill obvious voids in NFL coverage, and both have nearby strong college football programs (USC & Oregon) to draw from.

By emphasizing ties to strong football colleges/conferences, they should be able to do better about drawing audiences than the last pitch the CFL made in the US.

Halifax, Quebec City & Yellowknife. Definitely. Take the CFL to 12 teams. Make it happen.

Now, for another go at the US? Oklahoma City, Austin, Birmingham (yes, Birmingham again), Portland, Knoxville and Los Angeles.

Why?

Oklahoma City has proven that it can and will support professional sports with the NBA's Thunder. Austin would be a natural rival for OKC, plus both would be able to market to and draw on their collegiate marketplaces. Similar qualifications for Birmingham (though I'd might call the team Alabama and split home games between Tuscaloosa & Auburn) and Knoxville. With their SEC ties, and again, working to market to and affiliate with their college bretheren, they should be able to draw from those audiences. Portland and Los Angeles would fill obvious voids in NFL coverage, and both have nearby strong college football programs (USC & Oregon) to draw from.

By emphasizing ties to strong football colleges/conferences, they should be able to do better about drawing audiences than the last pitch the CFL made in the US.

The most recent failed "NFL alternatives" tried that strategy. College fans are too parochial for alumni teams to work out.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Austin/San Antonio market would support a team, Birmingham too. The main issue is finding a stadium that meets field requirements. LA couldn't be bothered to support NFL football so I doubt they'd get behind CFL football. Maybe Detroit could be an option as well as any major cities nearer the border.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I don't know about pooh-poohing the college route. The key is in the marketing. It would entail forging a FORMAL relationship with the schools in question -- to the point of the schools almost "adopting" the franchises.

I don't know about pooh-poohing the college route. The key is in the marketing. It would entail forging a FORMAL relationship with the schools in question -- to the point of the schools almost "adopting" the franchises.

That's never going to happen. I can tell you that right now.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yellowknife???? It has a METRO population of 19,000 people.

CFL would die a quick death in Windsor.

And I don't think they'd mess with the U.S. again. That was a massive failure.

I'd say: Halifax, Quebec, London without a doubt. With Ottawa coming in next year, that's 12 teams.

Beyond that, I'd say maybe St. John's. It's a city of 200,000 and isolated enough from other already established fan bases.

Halifax Highlanders

Quebec Voyage(u)rs

London Warriors (cliché I know, but I kinda wanted to stay with a 'Royal/Battle/Medieval' theme, and not many work for a football team)

St. John`s Islanders

WEST

B.C.

Edmonton

Calgary

Winnipeg

Saskatchewan

EAST

Halifax

Montreal

Quebec

St. John`s

SOUTH

Toronto

Hamilton

London

Ottawa

Top 2 division teams plus 2 additional wildcards= playoffs of 8.

sig.png

Is the original poster real?

Today, we are all otaku.

First of all, a GIANT NO to anyone who said Yellowknife. Yellowknife could NEVER support a CFL team and besides, the weather come September to November would be atrocious. I would reject any proposal to bring a CFL team to a terrible northern town like Yellowknife.

Anyways, what I believe the CFL could easily do is bring another team to the Vancouver metropolitan area (whether the stadium could be in Burnaby, Richmond, Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford, etc. or maybe could even be at Empire Field where the Lions had to play in 2010-2011)

I truly do believe the Vancouver area could support two CFL teams, and an amazing rivalry would be created.

An even further stretch could possibly be to Victoria or Vancouver Island. I've been to Victoria and the Island countless times in my life and always wondered why the CFL didn't try bringing a team there. It's an amazing sports place. Beautiful weather, a decent amount of people, good conditions for football and terrific scenery. There is 344,000 people in Metro Victoria, almost 100,000 more than Regina. In the CFL obviously population has nothing to do with revenue or fan support as Regina and the Riders are obviously #1 in the league for both of those.

So yes, options one and two for expansion in the West could be 1. Metro Vancouver, 2. Victoria

Another option I have thought about could be interior BC. Because I live close to BC and I am always driving through the province, I really do appreciate Kelowna and Kamloops as cities. Of course to bring a team to either one of these cities they would have to build a CFL-stadium, but I really do think they could pull it off. I could also picture a lot of people in the Shuswap, Okanagan and Kootenay's coming out to Kelowna every week to watch their team (especially if they were playing rivals in Vancouver or Calgary)

Saskatoon could very possibly support a CFL team, but I really don't see it considering how many Riders' fans are in Toontown. I'm sure the RoughRiders would be upset that the biggest city in their home province would be getting a team and I really think that either the Saskatoon franchise or the Saskatchewan RoughRiders would have big problems supporting their team (I would imagine Saskatoon because I don't see them switching alliances so easily from their beloved team in Regina)

In the East, I could certainly see another team in the Metro Toronto. Oshawa, Markham, Mississauga could all be possible grounds for a new CFL sized stadium. I think bringing in a second team to the area would cause an even greater passion for football in Toronto, having a flashier, white-collar, downtown type team playing at the Rogers Centre (Argonauts) and a more blue-collar team playing in the suburbs.

I don't really see any other city working in Ontario other than Metro Toronto and of course Ottawa which is going to be a reality. But I do see that Buffalo or Niagara Falls could possibly work as American expansion.

Further in the East, I believe Quebec City could certainly support a CFL team. If not QC, then Montreal could be handed a second CFL team and either them or the Alouettes could then permanently play at the Olympic Stadium while the other plays at Molson Stadium.

The Maritimes in my mind is a HUGE, yes. Moncton, Halifax, St. John's, Fredericton, one or more of these cities deserves a chance at a CFL team. I don't really think it would matter which city in the Maritimes gets a team, I just think the size and compete with other stadiums is what would be important. I do believe the Maritimes team could turn into a Saskatchewan phenomena with the entire province coming to support their team each week passionately, so the CFL should really look into making this a reality.

Here is what I would propose for expansion in 2016:

West Division

1. BC Lions

2. Victoria "Totems"

3. Burnaby/Richmond/Abbotsford "GoldRush" (Metro Vancouver)

4. Kelowna "Lake Monsters"

Central Division

1. Calgary Stampeders

2. Edmonton Eskimos

3. Saskatchewan RoughRiders

4. Winnipeg Blue Bombers

East Division

1. Toronto Argonauts

2. Hamilton TigerCats

3. Montreal Alouettes

4. Maritimes "Schooners"

Archived