Have the Cowboys ever worn dark jerseys at home?

otero1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a reason they're breaking tradition today? I know they've worn throwback blue and double star blue at home, but since I've been watching football (late 80s) I've never seen them wear their regular dark uniform in Dallas / Irving / Arlington.

To make up for the fact they cant wear their retro jerseys, so they went with the navys
That doesn't naked sense though, since it's not like they have to wear a non-white jersey on thanksgiving. It's not like they were out of options. Unless they are just he'll bent on using the spotlight to model some gear that they want to sell more of.

I think they had submitted to the league they were wearing navy throwbacks and didn't want to wear them without the white helmets.

That was the case since you have to declare jersey colors before the season and the helmet ruling came after IIRC. Jim Nance explained it that way during the game except he said the problem was that the throwback helmets "weren't up to standard." Yeah, no.

Jim Nance was right though. The standard the NFL put in place for helmets were not met by the throwback helemts. So yeah. I am glad they didn't go with the regular helmet and the throwback

I don't want to get into a semantics thing but he said the helmets weren't "up to standard," implying that they had some kind of shortcoming in quality or performance. They meet the same standard every helmet has to. The "standard" you're talking about is the NFL's decision not to allow players to wear two different helmets during the season.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Is there a reason they're breaking tradition today? I know they've worn throwback blue and double star blue at home, but since I've been watching football (late 80s) I've never seen them wear their regular dark uniform in Dallas / Irving / Arlington.

To make up for the fact they cant wear their retro jerseys, so they went with the navys

That doesn't naked sense though, since it's not like they have to wear a non-white jersey on thanksgiving. It's not like they were out of options. Unless they are just he'll bent on using the spotlight to model some gear that they want to sell more of.

I am just surprised nobody pointed out one of the great typos (or whatever you'd call it) ever...where was your head? :D

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think they had submitted to the league they were wearing navy throwbacks and didn't want to wear them without the white helmets.

That was the case since you have to declare jersey colors before the season and the helmet ruling came after IIRC. Jim Nance explained it that way during the game except he said the problem was that the throwback helmets "weren't up to standard." Yeah, no.

Well that makes a little more sense then, however I would imagine that they would have had enough time to work out a switch with the league and the Raiders (provided the Raiders were on board, which they may not have been), or they could have busted out the non-throwback Double Stars (of course that would require that they actually had those in the Nike template sitting around in stock somewhere, which they probably didn't.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't mind them wearing the white at home, I mind that the white jersey sucks though. It's really plain and dull. What they should do is just take the regular navy jersey and invert the navy and white parts to create the white jersey. However, I'm a huge fan of the "mismatched silver-green" everyone here hates, so I'd keep that and call it a day.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

:upside: Darker Royal Blue numbers, nameplate, and stripes (two) on white uniforms with the silver-green pants. Dark Royal blue uniforms with white numbers and silver-green stripes with white trim just like the nameplates as silver-green with silver-green pants. The helmets with silver-green coloring and facemask.

That's just what I am saying.

I am going to be honest.

I love the Chargers, Cowboys, Rams, Buccaneers, Redskins, Cardinals, Jets, and Vikings old look. Some attachment I had with them is still not lost.

-(1973-1999 Rams look; no more Navy and Metallic Khaki!)

-(1965-1980, 1981-1994 Cowboys look; no more pearl silver for the boys in blue)

-(1976-1991 Bucs look. I HATE THE ORANGE PANTS)

-(1961-1965 sorry, no yellow-gold pants with white helmets and jerseys for me,1985 Chargers)

-(1978-1989 New York JETS! :censored: the black accents or the addition of black)

-(1960-1968 Redskins; The REAL Burgundy and metallic yellow-gold and not the fake ass 1979-2010 look)

-(1960-1994 Cardinals; EVEN when they moved to Phoenix, they should of kept the look)

-(1961-2003, 2013 Vikings; what was wrong with the simple look? But in 2013, please fix the number serifs, OK?)

I always thought the Cardinals red uniforms should be plain and simple like the wore once before. Just plain cardinal red uniforms with white block numbers is all I like. The white uniforms should have the stripes and black trim to contrast that. The all white looked good playing against the Cowboys in the 70's and 80's. For some reason, the Cowboy's blue contrast with some teams which made it look awesome.

Cowboys vs Rams: Either white or blue back then (1973-1984), the Cowboys blue uniforms looks so cool against my beloved Rams white and yellow-gold pants with blue trim everywhere. I always enjoyed that match up.

Buccaneers vs Cowboys (1978-1982). I loved how the white with royal blue numbers looked kick ass with the Bucs wearing orange. When the Bucs wore all white, the Cowboy's Navy Blue's of 1981 were awesome. I also loved my beloved Rams looks with the Bucs. The orange and red with the blue and yellow-gold combination was very top notch.

Cardinals vs Cowboys (1960-1987). When they used to be in St. Louis (I still call them in my mind "The St. Louis Cardinals." just like I call the Rams "The Los Angeles Rams."), the Cardinals would wear their plain cardinal red uniforms while the Cowboys would wear their white with royal blue numbers. WOW!!! JUST :censored:ING WOW!!! The white, silver-blue (now silver-green),and blue with cardinal red and white WORK!!!

Cowboys vs Jets (1978-1989). They possibly never played each other before, but :censored:!!! That green with the Cowboys whites is hard to beat in the late 70's on to the 80's.

Hell even the Vikings vs Cowboys (1961-2003, 2013) were a bad ass combo. I wish in 2004-2012, the wouldn't of had that ugly uniform we were gazing at. But hell, that ugly uniform was finally ditched for a better cleaner look (but with bad serifs).

And for the big one, The Cowboys vs Redskins (1969-current). Only the yellow-gold pants and burgundy helmets worked. The now uniform is alright, but I HATE THE BURGUNDY THEY HAVE. It's stained by a horrible coach name Jack Pardee (the wine look). Even the 1979-2011 look with the wine and white pants, then white uniforms with wine pants were just one of Pardee's stupid creations. Well, Shanahan doesn't like Pardee's design and went with the Lombardi/George Allen Sr.'s look. That's why the Redskins wear yellow-gold pants now. Shanahan hates Jack Pardee's look. Hell, he even hates Pardee's coaching style. So, he ditched the burgundy and white pants all together in favor for the Vince Lombardi/George Allen Sr. era. I liked their 1960-1968 era with the metallic yellow-gold and the REAL BURGUNDY look. That 2002 faux-throwback their wore would look awesome against the Cowboy's white, silver-green, and royal blue. Hell, I like to see them wear that against the Ram's royal blue and yellow-gold uni's. WOW, that would be a hit!

Really hate Dallas' standard navy jerseys. The offset outline doesn't work and I hate that the sleeve striping isn't the same as the whites.

The offset outline is supposed to stylistically match the double outline on the star, I believe.

I'm not a fan of the offset white outline, though I thought the same thing as ColorWerx regarding supposed matching the double outline on the star. I think the Cowboys numbers would look better if they used offset silver similar to UConn a few years back:

BROWN_donald_r620x349.jpg

NevadaWolfpack.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Thanks to the new and absurd throwback rule, I bet the Cowboys are going to go back to wearing the 90's Double Star jersey on Thanksgiving starting with next season.

3.JPG

This look encapsulates everything wrong about 90's design. NFL and NBA in the 90's = MLB in the 70's.

In fairness, that look isn't that much different from this:

meredith.jpg

The '90s double-stars would have fit in just fine during the '60s, IMO. The numbers probably wouldn't have been double-outlined, but that's really the only distinctly '90s element (and even that had its roots in the '70s, it just became more popular by the '90s).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Only the Cowboys could have two sets of pants that don't match the metallic blue patina of the helmets.

That was actually changed for the 2012 season...on paper (!), the helmets are supposed to match the road pants.

Thanks to the new and absurd throwback rule, I bet the Cowboys are going to go back to wearing the 90's Double Star jersey on Thanksgiving starting with next season.

3.JPG

This look encapsulates everything wrong about 90's design. NFL and NBA in the 90's = MLB in the 70's.

In fairness, that look isn't that much different from this:

meredith.jpg

The '90s double-stars would have fit in just fine during the '60s, IMO. The numbers probably wouldn't have been double-outlined, but that's really the only distinctly '90s element (and even that had its roots in the '70s, it just became more popular by the '90s).

Thinking back to 1960, when putting a logo on a helmet was cutting-edge in the NFL, anyone who would have been on a board like this had it existed must have been screaming "clown suits!" about those Cowboy unis. They weren't horrible but they sure clashed with the status quo.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Only the Cowboys could have two sets of pants that don't match the metallic blue patina of the helmets.

That was actually changed for the 2012 season...on paper (!), the helmets are supposed to match the road pants.

Only Jerry would do something so stupid as to deemphasize the metallic blue. Under certain lighting conditions, the metallic blue is still evident.

pr1h.jpg

4c8b.jpg

I know it's shameless self-promotion, but here was my idea for the Cowboys in one blue and one gray...

cow1_zps2e2f6c22.png

The pants and helmet are a little too blue for my liking, but I dig the serif font numbers and striped socks. The problem is that many players (even in Staubach's day) pull the white sock so far up that the stripes are covered up. Don't ask me why they wear two socks to begin with.

Archived