S.O.S. by s. (Sochi Olympic Sweaters by sparky)...Finnish Plaid

sparkychewbarky

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweden

For the Swedish uniforms, I went with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" game plan.

The only thing that I created was a new "Viking Ship" logo that resembles SIHA's logo.

SIHA likes to put their round logo up on the left shoulder or chest, but I don't think that they're allowed to do so for the olympics.

This logo should be O.K. to use...

5-logo-sweden.jpg

This is a beauty!

Looks as Sweden should, great job! I'm of the opinion that the three crowns have no need for a white outline and look better without, but that's just nitpicking.

"Looks as Sweden should,"... well said nas.

The Sweden look needs no change, and I agree with you about the white outlines.

I'll remove them before the final frame.

Thanks.

Out of any Sochi redesigns, this, I'll keep a close eye on. Every single one is on point.

Thanks k.

You won't have to keep a close eye out for long.

With work and Christmas just around the corner, I just have time to do only 1 more (Finland).

Sweden looks amazing Sparky!

Thanks FGM, but I can't take any credit for that...I didn't do anything! (except for the Viking Ship logo)

I absolutely LOVE that look for Sweden

It's the best work I've never done! :lol:

Don't know why Nike would dick around with Sweden's iconic look.

Thanks JR.

Sweden

For the Swedish uniforms, I went with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" game plan.

The only thing that I created was a new "Viking Ship" logo that resembles SIHA's logo.

SIHA likes to put their round logo up on the left shoulder or chest, but I don't think that they're allowed to do so for the olympics.

This logo should be O.K. to use...

5-logo-sweden.jpg

This is a beauty!

Hi rich.

It was a fun one, and if you have reason to put a viking ship on your uniform...DO SO!

The new logo would allow Sweden to put the drakkar on their uni because it's NOT their association logo.

...Much more constructive than taking the arm stripes off.

Thanks for the input.

Finland

Before I get going, if you were wondering how Nike was going to finesse the back of the white Finnish flag jersey...

Team-Finland-Official-2014-Olympic-Repli

I'm a Canadian, so of course I'm gonna feel that the the Canadian olympic sweaters are the best of the lot.

However, I've always thought that, most of the time, the Finns have the "second best" unis.

The 'Fashionable Finns' won't be so fashionable this time though.

The front of the away flag sweater had some thought put into it, but that home sweater is just a mish-mash.

The awning shoulders are gruesome and just don't make any sense.

The "Suomi" word, arced over Finland's Coat of Arms (COA) is becoming as traditional as Sweden's three crowns.

I reworked the COA, to make the lion look a little more lion-y.

I also made a custom script version of "Suomi".

5-finnlogo.jpg

As with the Czech concept I kept with the Nike plan of designing a flag sweater, but instead of just slapping the flag on the front,

I worked the flag into the shoulder yokes.

It created some interesting striping patterns on both the homes and aways...

5-finland.jpg

Up next...the final gallery.

Pre-Conclusion Rant

The whole Nike Sochi hockey sweater situation can best be summed up with the story of Nike officials

battling the Swedish Ice Hockey Association, in trying to dictate to Sweden as to how they should 'look'.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

By so heavy-handedly putting its 'stamp' on the hockey countries' national uniforms, Nike has created a collection of sweaters

with a sameness about them.

That kinda runs counter to the Olympic ideal of diversity.

If each country was in complete control of the design of their national identities and uniforms,

we'd end up with a much more interesting variety of hockey styles, striping patterns, cuts, collars, etc.

I doubt if any would voluntarily opt for the tacky fake laces.

...And speaking of those... with this venture, Nike has proven that shiny appliques, and bells and whistles, cannot disguise a poorly designed uniform.

That's my take, but those hockey fans who like the direction that Nike is taking with the look of the game, should, by all means, get out there and buy a Nike Sochi sweater.

For those who feel as I do (that this current crop of national uniforms from Nike has been a miss), send a message by keeping your hard-earned money in your jeans.

Conclusion

Canada

-Inspired by the 1972 Summit Series uniforms.

5-canada4.jpg

U.S.A.

-Big, bold letters with football-style striping.

5-usa2.jpg

Russia

-Nike's winged sweater idea is toned down a bit by simplifying the COA outline and using 'less contrasting' colours on the homes and aways.

5-russia4.jpg

Czech Republic

-Putting the flags on the sleeves made more sense.

5-czechs.jpg

Sweden

-"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". The only change here was the creation of a new viking ship logo.

(nas...I removed the white crown outlines)

5-sweden5.jpg

Finland

-Putting the flag on the shoulders created some interesting stripe patterns, and left the front open for a new "Suomi" wordmark and revised COA.

5-finland.jpg

Wish I had more time to do the rest.

Eric Westhaver, MrWonka, and others are also doing Sochi makeovers, and have done/are doing a great job!

Thanks to all who dropped by, and have a great Christmas!

Lovely all around. Always love the presentation of your work, particularly the slight hand-drawn feel they have to them. I've been trying to come up with a hockey player model to use for concepts, but can't get anything close to what you consistently create.

Lovely all around. Always love the presentation of your work, particularly the slight hand-drawn feel they have to them. I've been trying to come up with a hockey player model to use for concepts, but can't get anything close to what you consistently create.

Thanks nas.

They have a hand-drawn look to them because they are hand-drawn...but quite by accident.

I was trying to make a true photorealistic template but couldn't pull it off.

My photoshop skills kinda suck, and because I taught myself through trial and error, I don't know if I'm doing things "right".

That's why I haven't shared my templates...because I don't know if they'd work for anyone else.

However nas, I'll show you what I have, and if you or anyone else can use it...great- go for it.

To start with I thought that the best thing to do, would be to emulate the best.

So I pulled up one of Fraser Davidson's concepts.

temp1.jpg

I was trying to figure out how he made that template, when I found this...

temp2.jpg

This made sense.

The ideal photo to work from would be a high res photo of a hockey player dressed entirely in white with no numbers, crests, or striping on the uni.

I don't think such a pic exists.

So, the next best thing might be a photo of a Detroit Red Wings player because of the simplicity of the uniform.

(to be cont'd)

Tutorial (kind of)

So I found a decent pic.

I got rid of the red through manipulating the channels. O.K.

I couldn't, however, get rid of the number, crest and stripe lines well enough, so I started drawing over top on layers in Photoshop and Painter.

The image was still a little rough, so I put a line over it and hence the hand-drawn look.

Actually, it works pretty good because I can draw in a different face, move the sweater folds away from the logo area, shine up the helmet, put in a custom sparky stick, add a scar, take out a tooth, whatever.

I actually referenced several pics to create this one.

It's time consuming but fun.

So here's some of the layers that I ended up with...

Colour Layer

tempcolour.jpg

Solid layer

tempsolid.jpg

Line layer

templine.jpg

Greys Layer 1

tempb-1.jpg

Greys Layer 2

tempa-1.jpg

Visor

tempvisor.jpg

To be cont'd...

Tutorial (kind of) cont'd

Now, how you manipulate these images would probably be better explained by Fraser himself,

using the proper terminology, and referencing current programs. (my stuff's old and out-dated)

Here's the link to his tutorial.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/68226-photo-realistic-football-template/?hl=photorealistic#entry1197984

Combine his instruction with my images and it should work. I hope Fraser doesn't mind.

I found it necessary to create separate Multiply, Screen and Overlay layers for the helmet, sweater and socks, and, gloves and helmet.

...I guess because of their different "textures".

Good luck guys.

Epic. Pretty much the one word to sum up this series.

Been watching this one, just haven't had as much time to comment lately. Love practically every design you have here, all look very distinct yet complimentary in a way.

Think you've refined the Canada look even more, looks like best version yet.

Russia is really the only look that bugs me as I find myself wondering why the grey and white for the white jersey? I realize that helps it stand out from the original Nike design, but I don't see grey used anywhere else except on the whites which seems jarring. Perhaps changing the grey back to the original red would look best? Blue could work too, but red shoulders somehow feels more Russian in my mind.

Anyways, great series once again Sparky! That tutorial looks pretty awesome as well, thanks for sharing it.

• 4 weeks later...

Russia is really the only look that bugs me as I find myself wondering why the grey and white for the white jersey? I realize that helps it stand out from the original Nike design, but I don't see grey used anywhere else except on the whites which seems jarring. Perhaps changing the grey back to the original red would look best? Blue could work too, but red shoulders somehow feels more Russian in my mind.

Hi ES...Merry Christmas.

You're right, grey is not part of the Russian colour palette, however...

I thought the white away sweater would work better as an away sweater, if the eagle pattern was watermarked, or 'WINTERMARKED'.

I got the idea from this excellent video from Nike. Check it out...

(BTW...the long jumper in the vid is Darya Klishina. Check her out. Hoo Boy!)

I thought the excellent use of grey in the clip really gives it a winter feel.

So, I thought I'd try a 'Wintermarked' away Russian sweater...

russianwinter.jpg

What I.m gonna do is print all your concepts with a lazer colour machine and stick'em on both sides of my TV screen.

I'll try to imagine the players wearing your beauties.

This probably the only way to watch Sochi's tournament without getting sick.

What I.m gonna do is print all your concepts with a lazer colour machine and stick'em on both sides of my TV screen.

I'll try to imagine the players wearing your beauties.

This probably the only way to watch Sochi's tournament without getting sick.

Thanks bleuet. I'm glad I can help you get through it. :lol:

Have a great New Year.

"Isn't it good...Norwegian wood?"

-the Beatles / 1965

"That ain't too bad...blue Finnish plaid."

-sparky chewbarky / 2013

I was playing around with the Finnish unis, and when I darkened the intersection of the two arms of the blue nordic cross, it created a plaid effect.

So I applied that idea to the sweaters...

finnplaidaway.jpg

On the home version I just used the same plaid idea on a bigger scale...

finnplaidhome.jpg

The nice thing about the plaid theme is its application to merchandise...

finncap.jpg

Archived