tron1013

App. State WTF

Looks like I'm definitely in the minority here, but I love the new logo. Probably helps that I thought the old logo was awful, but the new one is great.

Meh. I like it. Kinda harkens back to the days of the vintage college logos we all drool about in that other thread. Not everything needs gritted teeth and fifty shades of grey to show how the lighting is hitting him.

Not only does Mr. Backwoods resemble a rejected Simpsons character, it kinda-sorta promotes smoking. This thing is a total nightmare. ABORT!

I like it much better than the old one, which seems like a nightmare to try to embroider but the yellow face is kind of jarring. Maybe going more flesh-toned for the face would help?

Pw094kh.pngewlfwlk.png

It looks like a bad logo from the concepts board.

I'll miss the man in the mountain. That was a hell of a logo.

Let's hope there is a big bunch of backlash on this and they don't change.

I like it much better than the old one, which seems like a nightmare to try to embroider but the yellow face is kind of jarring. Maybe going more flesh-toned for the face would help?

Pw094kh.pngewlfwlk.png

they eye is what bugs me, wtf is he looking at?

I actually like the new logo. I appreciate seeing a school that is willing to go against the grain of the ultra-modern logos. I'd like to see it as the primary because a block "A" isn't unique and the "Mountaineers" text can't be read at small size.

the yellow face is kind of jarring. Maybe going more flesh-toned for the face would help?

Agreed. Were it not for the white eyes, he'd look like he has jaundice.

Sometimes I look at the Youth Marks and wonder if they're actually better:

AppalachianStateU_YMK0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB

AppalachianStateU_YMK0400a_2013_SCC_SRGB

AppalachianStateU_YMK0600a_2013_SCC_SRGB

These logos would work perfectly as cereal box mascots, for some reason. I wonder what type of cereal does this smiling guy endorse.

Crispix

I was thinking store-brand Chex, but to each their own.

Looks like the drunken, pipe smoking sonufabitch uncle of the Fighting Irishman.

The disappointment for me is there not because App State went retro, but because they updated the damn thing and made it worse. They could have just said "Hey, we'll be bringing back ol' Yosef and using him more..." and no one would have blinked an eye. Rather, they took the time to "fix" the old design and repackage it as a "new" logo. Do you know how many great graphic designers there are out there with a real knack for vintage-feeling designs? They should have went to a designer and said "Look, we want to bring back this mark into the fold... We know he's rough, so clean him up and smooth him out, but keep that throwback charm to him." Instead, we got... whatever the hell that is.

One of the biggest downgrades in recent memory.