2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Groups ranked from lowest sum of Soccer Power Index rankings among all four teams to highest sum among all four teams in group:

1. Group D: "The England/Italy/Uruguay Group of Death" (highest average Soccer Power Index among 4 teams, also has by far the lowest standard deviation of SPI)

2. Group B "The Depends-on-how-bad-each-team-beats-Australia Group"

3. Group G "The U.S. & Ghana vs. Portugal Group"

4. Group E "The Switzerland vs. Ecuador Group"

5. Group F "The Argentina and.... Group"

6. Group C "The 'Hopefully Ivory Coast Wins This' Group"

7. Group A "The Brazil Group"

8. Group H "The 'Belgium better :censored: beat Russia' Group"

- Belgium has really fallen in the SPI rankings since the last time I checked, they were definitely in the Top 5 last time, now #13.

- Ukraine is the top-rated team not playing in the World Cup; they are ranked #17 in SPI, Russia is ranked #18.

- Algeria is, by far, the worst team in the tournament at #69, the next worst is Australia at #41.

- Switzerland and France are in the same group (Group E, remember that odd method used in the Group Draw?)

- Costa Rica got shafted.

No way in hell can B be a tougher group than G. It's just too much weight given towards Spain and the Netherlands.

That group has Australia. Australia!

Australia!!!

Australia!!!

Groups ranked from lowest sum of Soccer Power Index rankings among all four teams to highest sum among all four teams in group:

1. Group D: "The England/Italy/Uruguay Group of Death" (highest average Soccer Power Index among 4 teams, also has by far the lowest standard deviation of SPI)

2. Group B "The Depends-on-how-bad-each-team-beats-Australia Group"

3. Group G "The U.S. & Ghana vs. Portugal Group"

4. Group E "The Switzerland vs. Ecuador Group"

5. Group F "The Argentina and.... Group"

6. Group C "The 'Hopefully Ivory Coast Wins This' Group"

7. Group A "The Brazil Group"

8. Group H "The 'Belgium better :censored: beat Russia' Group"

- Belgium has really fallen in the SPI rankings since the last time I checked, they were definitely in the Top 5 last time, now #13.

- Ukraine is the top-rated team not playing in the World Cup; they are ranked #17 in SPI, Russia is ranked #18.

- Algeria is, by far, the worst team in the tournament at #69, the next worst is Australia at #41.

- Switzerland and France are in the same group (Group E, remember that odd method used in the Group Draw?)

- Costa Rica got shafted.

No way in hell can B be a tougher group than G. It's just too much weight given towards Spain and the Netherlands.

That group has Australia. Australia!

Australia!!!

Australia!!!

Yes, I think there's too much weight given towards the teams from last World Cup's title match, yes.

6fQjS3M.png

I wouldn't underestimate Australia that much, I think they have a chance to go through to the round of 16.

lol

Second that LOL

Why the hate on Australia? I would say they are about on par with every above average European team in this years World Cup.

I wouldn't underestimate Australia that much, I think they have a chance to go through to the round of 16.

lol
Second that LOL
Why the hate on Australia? I would say they are about on par with every above average European team in this years World Cup.

Depends what your meaning by 'above average', which could mean every European team in the Finals since you could argue that they're all above the average teams in Europe (Slovakia and Wales in the middle). If your relating them to Bosnia or Greece, sure.

But when you put them in a group with the Champions, the Runners Up, and Chile who are part of a very strong South American group this year, not a chance.

Australia will be an easy 3 for everyone.

Key for the Dutch. Getting at least a point in that opening round game. Though, the second place in this group gets a date with Brazil in the Round of 16.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Nothing new here but it's pretty obvious FIFA set the groups up to get as many clubs from South America into the round of 16.

I think you mean the Round of 8 (quarterfinals).

Compared to Asian, North American & Caribbean, and African teams, there is a better chance that South American teams advance to the Round of 8 because, although no confederation is represented twice in the same Group, South American teams are not "spaced-out" as much as AFC, CONCACAF, and CAF teams. To raise the odds that a South American team gets to the Round of 8, teams from South America are placed in groups adjacent to other groups with South American teams at a much higher rate than other confederations.

*assuming Round of 16 qualification = Qualified team plays qualified confederation rival in Round of 16 (*winning the group doesn't matter for this purpose, just advancement):

Africa (5 teams): AXCXXFGH, G and H will play each other in Round of 16, which secures a spot for an African team in the Round of 8 should both African teams advance - get it? One Round of 8 matchup is the minimum with 5 teams (see below for chart).

Asia (4 teams): XBCXXFXH, should all four Asian teams advance to Round of 16, they wouldn't play each other at all, thus not securing an Asian spot in Round of 8

North America & Caribbean (4 teams): AXXDEXGX, same as Asia, the placement of confederation clubs into different groups must not be arbitrary, it seems like the teams of Asia and North America were placed into groups for competitive purposes.

South America: ABCDEFXX (6 teams), should all 6 teams go on to Round of 16, they would all play each other. This is the most possible, also the opposite of Asia and North America.

The most potential Round of 16 match-ups, which would ensure a confederation's quarterfinal berths, by number of World Cup entrants ("least" and "most" are "out of" eight Round of 16 matchups):

4 teams: least 0 OXIOXIOXIOX, most 2 OOIOOIXXIXX

5 teams: least 1 OXIOXIOXIOO, most 2 OOIOOIOXIXX

6 teams: least 2 OXIOOIOOIXO, most 3 OOIOOIOOIXX (CONMEBOL 2014)

7 teams: least 3 OXIOOIOOIOO, most 3 OXIOOIOOIOO

The South America draw happens to be the optimal structure for South American teams to advance to the Round of 8 should all teams finish their respective group stages in position to play the other South American team from the adjacent Group. No other confederation is optimally situated (besides UEFA, which has more teams in the tournament than there are groups in the group stage), in fact, Asian and North American teams are least-optimally organized for Round of 8 matches against intra-confederation countries.

(It's obvious that tournament organizers want all-South American matches in the playoff rounds, judging by the probability that intra-confederation teams play each other, in relation to other confederations' chances of playing each other in the playoff round, and relative to the number of clubs each confederation has in the tournament)

Am I right?

World Cup tournament structure = 64 matches = 12-team single-round robin

Each confederation sends 3 teams to the tournament (12 teams), 1 group, 1 location, balanced schedule (one game against each opponent), no playoffs. Oh, and North and South America are combined into CONMECAFMEBOL and OFC and AFC become OAFC.

According to latest SPI:
UEFA: 3. Spain, 4. Germany, 7. France

CAF: 16. Ivory Coast, 26. Ghana, 28. Nigeria

CONMECAFMEBOL: 1. Brazil, 2. Argentina, 5. Chile

OAFC: 31. South Korea, 36. Japan, 39. Iran

Waiting for Qatar to get stripped of the 2022 World Cup (likely won't happen)........

......but if the U.S. were able to host in 2022 instead:

13 Total Stadiums

12 Stadiums - Group and Elimination Rounds

FedEx Field - Landover, MD

MetLife Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ

Sun Life Stadium - Miami Gardens, FL

Gillette Stadium - Foxborough, MA

New Falcons Stadium - Atlanta, GA

Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia

Century Link Field - Seattle, WA

Levi's Stadium - Santa Clara, CA

INVESCO Field - Denver, CO

New NFL Stadium - Los Angeles, CA

AT&T Stadium - Arlington, TX

Reliant Stadium - Houston, TX

Final

Rose Bowl - Pasadena (100th anniversary of the stadium) - Would be used for final match only.

Then that'll screw Canada in 2026.

All three major federations in CONCACAF are bidding for 2026, I mean the US hasn't confirmed yet. If they were to strip Qatar, it'd probably end up in England, France or Germany.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

All three major federations in CONCACAF are bidding for 2026, I mean the US hasn't confirmed yet. If they were to strip Qatar, it'd probably end up in England, France or Germany.

Canada isn't getting the World Cup in 2026. They're going to have to expand nearly every stadium, and they'll have to build a brand new one for the final as the capacity has to be at least 80 000. In contrast, you have the US, where they already have dozens of established stadiums that can host the tournament tomorrow. Aside from some minor renovations, the only new stadium that they would possibly need to build is a new stadium in Los Angeles if they don't have an NFL team by then (which they will). There's absolutely no reason for FIFA to choose Canada over the US.

I love Canada. I really do. My uncle lives in Calgary like you but in no uncertain terms is Canada getting a World Cup anytime soon.

I love Canada. I really do. My uncle lives in Calgary like you but in no uncertain terms is Canada getting a World Cup anytime soon.

Which is no doubt due in part to the fact that they're hosting the Women's World Cup next year.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Which is no doubt due in part to the fact that they're hosting the Women's World Cup next year.

Not really, but logistical burden of hosting Women's World Cup fans =/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/= logistical burden of hosting Men's World Cup fans.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Canada isn't getting the World Cup in 2026. They're going to have to expand nearly every stadium, and they'll have to build a brand new one for the final as the capacity has to be at least 80 000. In contrast, you have the US, where they already have dozens of established stadiums that can host the tournament tomorrow. Aside from some minor renovations, the only new stadium that they would possibly need to build is a new stadium in Los Angeles if they don't have an NFL team by then (which they will). There's absolutely no reason for FIFA to choose Canada over the US.

This implies that the Rose Bowl is considered "obsolete" to host FIFA-related events. It's still capable of holding USMNT friendlies, international club friendlies, and CONCACAF Gold Cup matches. I don't see what the issue is for using Pasadena again in 2026.

Archived