2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

Perfect:

aBK7bEO_460s_v2.jpg

So France's 5-2 win over Switzerland is the equivalent of a 346-138 NBA scoreline? Yeah, I'm not buying that.

I don't think you can view it as multiples of 7. I think it scales much differently than that.

Yeah, this does seem a bit off to me. I can't see the math here making sense in comparison.

If you go by the 7 goals Germany scored divided by the average goals per match per team for this year's World Cup of 1.35 (2.69 goals per match/2 teams), and multiplying that number by the averages from the last completed season for each, the math should work out as...

NHL - 14 goals

MLB - 22 runs

NFL - 121 points

NBA - 524 points

So, the original numbers are actually not that far off. There might by some value to normalize it, but the ratio's right on the money.

VmWIn6B.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argentina win for me. I think people will be blinkered by what Germany did to Brazil. Messi to be crowned the Worlds greatest.

glory10.png

I don't follow soccer, but I know which countries are the good ones.

Has there ever been a real Cinderella run to the title or at least the finals?

-Dan

Not really in the World Cup. In the European championships, both Greece and Denmark came out of nowhere to win the whole thing.

1zqy8ok.gif

I don't follow soccer, but I know which countries are the good ones.

Has there ever been a real Cinderella run to the title or at least the finals?

-Dan

Not really in the World Cup. In the European championships, both Greece and Denmark came out of nowhere to win the whole thing.

From 1994-06, there was a string semifinalits of Sweden, Bulgaria, Croatia, South Korea, and Turkey. But no real Cinderella runs in there or to the final.

Los Ticos were that close though.

Brazil and Italy both won their fourth title 24 years after they've won the third.

Brazil 1970 -> 1994

Italy 1982 -> 2006

Guess what, Germany won their third World Cup in 1990...

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

I want to see Germany win, they've been to 4 consecutive semi's (which is a hell of an accomplishment by itself), and haven't come away with the title yet. I think this is their year. And because of the German parts of my family tree. It'd be a damn shame if Germany went to 4 straight Semi-Finals and couldn't come up with a title.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

We will see how Joachim Low sets his starting XI up. Will it be a defensive setup with a counter-attack ability or will it be straight out attacking? I am hoping Low cane bring the lads back down to Earth after the Brazil semifinal. But I see Schweinsteiger starting in the midfield over Gotze.

The referee designation has been decided for the Third Place Match (Match 63) between Brazil-Netherlands by FIFA Referees Delegation and it is Algeria’s Djamel Haimoudi. Haimoudi will become the first CAF referee to officiate a third place match of a FIFA World Cup

Plus here's a nice breakdown of all the match officials that participated at the World Cup.

Here are the nominees for the Golden Ball Award for the best player of the tournament:

Mats Hummels, Toni Kroos, Philipp Lahm, Thomas Müller, Ángel di María, Javier Mascherano, Lionel Messi, Neymar, James Rodríguez, Arjen Robben

I'd go with Kroos.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

I want to see Germany win, they've been to 4 consecutive semi's (which is a hell of an accomplishment by itself), and haven't come away with the title yet. I think this is their year. And because of the German parts of my family tree. It'd be a damn shame if Germany went to 4 straight Semi-Finals and couldn't come up with a title.

Agreed, right now Germany is running on all 4 cylinders, plus they have the inside track to the title. (BTW I'm part German myself.)

Here are the nominees for the Golden Ball Award for the best player of the tournament:

Mats Hummels, Toni Kroos, Philipp Lahm, Thomas Müller, Ángel di María, Javier Mascherano, Lionel Messi, Neymar, James Rodríguez, Arjen Robben

I'd go with Kroos.

That's a tough list for me to choose from. I'm struggling to pick between Kroos, Müller, and Rodriguez.

By the way, Tim Howard wasn't named as a finalist for the Golden Gloves Award for the tournament's top keeper. Keylor Navas, Manuel Neuer, and Sergio Romero were named ahead of him. I understand Navas and Neuer, they've probably been the two top keepers, but I'm iffy on Romero. He has the perfect record, but he hasn't really been a key cog in Argentina's run to the finals.

Archived