If the Jags helmets were all black, how would you grade their uniforms?

Brave-Bird 08

When they where unveiled, I thought the only thing bringing the uniform down was the helmet. But the more games I see of the Jags, the more I think the helmet has grown on me, and now I think the Jags have a solid look all around. I like the idea of a solid matte black helmet for the Jags, but what if they replaced the gold in the helmet with teal?

At least it would make a certain poster very, very happy... :bonk:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very interesting idea. To be honest, I think you're sorta burying the lead with the pictures in the first post. I think the home black uniforms look pretty sweet. A futuristic look without just looking silly. I think it's the angular look that does it for me. The whites that you have pictured, though, are really meh. Then again, most home whites are meh, save for a few exceptions (Jets, Cowboys, Browns, Colts, etc).

Then again, I also really like the Seahawks home navy too, and that's not a very popular opinion 'round here.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I pray every night before I go to bed for them to switch to an all black helmet. The helmet is tolerable with the black pants but it looks really bad when they wear the all white set. I love the uniforms besides for the helmet. The only changes I would make would be to add the other outline color to the TV numbers. I would also not even waste my time wearing the white pants. The black pants look better with both the white and black tops. The new logo is also my favorite logo in the league. I'll put up with the helmet as long as I get to wear hats/shirts with that beautiful logo on them.

Picking a helmet color would go along way. Uniform itself has actually grown on me with all the combinations, but the sleeves and the helmet especially still annoy the crap out of me. By far my favorite Jaguars uniform was the nike designed one from 98 or 97 minus the panels & bigger numbers. The sleeves on the current Jersey really need something even if it's stripping like Oklahoma State has but hopefully this off-season they will pick a color on the helmet.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Picking a helmet color would go along way. Uniform itself has actually grown on me with all the combinations, but the sleeves and the helmet especially still annoy the crap out of me. By far my favorite Jaguars uniform was the nike designed one from 98 or 97 minus the panels & bigger numbers. The sleeves on the current Jersey really need something even if it's stripping like Oklahoma State has but hopefully this off-season they will pick a color on the helmet.

I don't think so. The league will not allow the Jaguars to change the helmet color to black after just one year.

As much as I hate the two-tone helmet, they are intented to keep it.

I don't think so. The league will not allow the Jaguars to change the helmet color to black after just one year.

they would allow them to make a change to a black or gold helmet it's a "small" change and the nil would care more about an alteration to the jerseys because those are the big sellers versus helmets that are a specialty item that aren't sold a lot outside of mini helmets

they would allow them to make a change to a black or gold helmet it's a "small" change and the nil would care more about an alteration to the jerseys because those are the big sellers versus helmets that are a specialty item that aren't sold a lot outside of mini helmets

I think the league would be willing to make an exception in this case. A two toned helmet this ugly simply does not fit with the stoic nature of the league's history of design and branding. Returning to a more traditional helmet would probably be encouraged and likely encouraged by licensees who have to use with the current helmet graphic. It just doesn't look good.

The Jags just changed in 2009, yet were allowed to do so again before the 5 year limit, so this NFL rule must not be set in stone.

Wish the Jags would just pick one color for the helmet and stay that way. Black wouldn't be bad, but gold (and add gold pants) would look pretty good. There's enough teal in the uni to distinguish them from the Saints.

Anyone want to do a mockup of what that would look like...or a teal helmet with teal pants? At least that would be instantly identifiable.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Im guessing the Jaguars will get new uniforms every 5 years. Khan wanted to be the Oregon of the NFL. I think as soon as he can get new uniforms he will.

I thought Seattle wanted to be the Oregon of the NFL?

Good G-d...

The Jags just changed in 2009, yet were allowed to do so again before the 5 year limit, so this NFL rule must not be set in stone.

Wish the Jags would just pick one color for the helmet and stay that way. Black wouldn't be bad, but gold (and add gold pants) would look pretty good. There's enough teal in the uni to distinguish them from the Saints.

Anyone want to do a mockup of what that would look like...or a teal helmet with teal pants? At least that would be instantly identifiable.

That may have been partially negated because of the manufacturer change.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

That is what I am thinking too. Maybe that rule was waived due to Nike taking over

Go A's!

I know we have seen them with black on white, but not in during a game yet. I bet the all black helmet would complement it really well

fbfcedf38b714a79bd737dd32582834c-a055384

Single color helmet for sure. There are two other things that hold this uniform back in my mind:

1. Numeral font is horrible, especially the 7. In the pick the 84 looks good but the others don't work with their overly angled style

2. Double outlines, on top of overly angled numeral, too much. Pull back a bit, simplify, refine

That is what I am thinking too. Maybe that rule was waived due to Nike taking over

Ownership change could have also been a significant factor. The 5 year rule is more of a guideline than anything else as it has nothing to do with competition so exceptions can always be made. Let's not forget that the goodell and the league office works at the behest of the owners so rules can be bent/broken/changed at on a whim if enough owners can be persuasive enough.

The 5 year rule is more of a guideline than anything else

What's your source for that?

I would imagine that he's both right and wrong. It likely is a "rule", however a rule enforced by the league, which is essentially the owners, can always be bent by them IF there was enough of a reason to do so. This is one of the reasons i never understood the complaining about the NBA's "fee" to change logos - it's a rule essentially put in place by the teams themselves - so if anyone feels that their team is being "screwed" by it, they have nobody to blame but their team themselves.

Also, we've seen that the "rule" is subjective at best. Many teams have made uniform changes within a year or two of unveiling new sets. It just comes down to what's considered "significant" or "minor". Examples would be changes made to the Eagles uniform in each of the first 3 seasons after the initial redesign in 1996 (one of which I would consider significant - replacing sleeve stripes with a logo.) Another example would be the Bills horrible last set, where they thickened the piping significantly. That's a very noticeable, however relatively insignificant change.

We've seen number fonts change as well - STL Rams for example, and Jags - though the Jags was more out of necessity than a whim. Toilet bowls are another subjectively minor example as well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived