If the Jags helmets were all black, how would you grade their uniforms?

Brave-Bird 08

The 5 year rule is more of a guideline than anything else

What's your source for that?

I would imagine that he's both right and wrong. It likely is a "rule", however a rule enforced by the league, which is essentially the owners, can always be bent by them IF there was enough of a reason to do so. This is one of the reasons i never understood the complaining about the NBA's "fee" to change logos - it's a rule essentially put in place by the teams themselves - so if anyone feels that their team is being "screwed" by it, they have nobody to blame but their team themselves.

Also, we've seen that the "rule" is subjective at best. Many teams have made uniform changes within a year or two of unveiling new sets. It just comes down to what's considered "significant" or "minor". Examples would be changes made to the Eagles uniform in each of the first 3 seasons after the initial redesign in 1996 (one of which I would consider significant - replacing sleeve stripes with a logo.) Another example would be the Bills horrible last set, where they thickened the piping significantly. That's a very noticeable, however relatively insignificant change.

We've seen number fonts change as well - STL Rams for example, and Jags - though the Jags was more out of necessity than a whim. Toilet bowls are another subjectively minor example as well.

The eagles redesigned in 2006?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All very true, although we don't know if that rule was in place when the Eagles made their mods in 1996. That was a long time ago.

The toilet bowl seats are a good example, but that could be chalked up to manufacturing concerns and the switch from reebok to Nike.

I don't think we know enough about this rule to speak authoritatively at all. We wouldn't even know about it if the Bucs' owner hadn't blabbed.

• 1 month later...

Archived