2014 Men's Olympic Hockey Rosters

spartacat_12

Since the IIHF decided to give the national teams some extra time to finalize their Olympic rosters that means players have one more month to prove that they're worthy of being Olympians. I figured the board could use a place to discuss potential rosters. I've taken some time to think about it and here's what I came up with for Team Canada:

Forwards

Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos

Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry

Couture - Toews - Sharp

E. Staal - Bergeron - Neal

Benn - Duchene

(honourable mentions: Hall, St. Louis, Thornton, Seguin)

Defensemen

Keith - Weber

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo

Subban - Doughty

Vlassic - Seabrook

(honourable mentions: Staal, Letang)

Goaltenders

Price

Luongo

Smith

(honourable mentions: Ward, Holtby, Crawford)

I'm sure not everyone will agree with some of my picks, and I'll probably change my mind a few times in the next month, but I'd be very happy with this roster. I used to hate the idea of Kunitz on the team but my opinion has changed over the last month or so. I'd also like to see Price as the starter over Lu. Maybe its just because I watch him play more but Price seems a bit more solid.

Forgot about Harding. If he keeps playing as well as he has then I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the 3rd spot but I feel like Hockey Canada would lean towards more experienced guys like Ward, Smith, etc. Realistically they could give the spot to Stephen Harper and it would have no impact on Canada's medal chances.

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot about Harding. If he keeps playing as well as he has then I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the 3rd spot but I feel like Hockey Canada would lean towards more experienced guys like Ward, Smith, etc. Realistically they could give the spot to Stephen Harper and it would have no impact on Canada's medal chances.

They could, but the man is normally a right winger that can play centre on occasion and we're just too stacked in those positions for him to crack the lineup...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Letang over Vlasic any day. I don't care how Letang's been performing, he's better than Pickles.

Pickles has become a premier shut down defenseman. I'm not saying Letang is bad but he hasn't been as sound defensively as Vlasic and sometimes you need that instead another offensive defenseman.

spacer.png

A few stats about the rosters:

-Half of Olympians play in the NHL, the next most popular domestic league for Olympians is the KHL, which has seen a 10% decrease in the number of representatives since the Vancouver Olympics (from 25% of all Olympians coming from the KHL in 2010 to 16% in 2014)

-2/3 of Olympic men's hockey players play pro hockey abroad (not for a pro team from their Olympic countries, i.e. Kopitar plays for the Kings)

-2/3 of Olympians would play pro hockey abroad (away from their home country/the country they will represent in Sochi) play in the NHL

-Of the 1/3 (99 players) who play pro hockey in their home nation, the leagues with the most players represented in Sochi are 1) NHL (USA, Canada) KHL (Russia, Latvia, Slovakia, Czech Republic 3) EBEL (Austria, Slovenia), 4) NLA (Switzerland). The KHL appears as more of a competitor to the NHL in this ranking versus the "foreigners abroad (league)" ranking.

-The Missouri Mavericks, Bowling Green State University, and Milwaukee Admirals all have one Olympian each.

-Sweden's top league, the Swedish Hockey League (formerly "Elitserien") has only one representative on Team Sweden. All 24 others play in the NHL.

-If the NHL were to back out of the Olympics, half of the players would disappear from every roster.

There you go. The coolest fact, I think, is that 2/3 of all of the best European players come to the NHL to play professionally. No other league is remotely close.

I'll give you these too (b/c you won't find them anywhere else):

Best professional leagues:

1) NHL (2x KHL)

2) KHL (2x SHL, because the best Swedes play abroad)

3) SHL (NHL = 2(KHL) = 4(SHL) = 8(NLA+ DEL + the rest))

4) NLA ($witzerland)

5) DEL (best of the rest)

A few stats about the rosters:

-Half of Olympians play in the NHL, the next most popular domestic league for Olympians is the KHL, which has seen a 10% decrease in the number of representatives since the Vancouver Olympics (from 25% of all Olympians coming from the KHL in 2010 to 16% in 2014)

-2/3 of Olympic men's hockey players play pro hockey abroad (not for a pro team from their Olympic countries, i.e. Kopitar plays for the Kings)

-2/3 of Olympians would play pro hockey abroad (away from their home country/the country they will represent in Sochi) play in the NHL

-Of the 1/3 (99 players) who play pro hockey in their home nation, the leagues with the most players represented in Sochi are 1) NHL (USA, Canada) KHL (Russia, Latvia, Slovakia, Czech Republic 3) EBEL (Austria, Slovenia), 4) NLA (Switzerland). The KHL appears as more of a competitor to the NHL in this ranking versus the "foreigners abroad (league)" ranking.

-The Missouri Mavericks, Bowling Green State University, and Milwaukee Admirals all have one Olympian each.

-Sweden's top league, the Swedish Hockey League (formerly "Elitserien") has only one representative on Team Sweden. All 24 others play in the NHL.

-If the NHL were to back out of the Olympics, half of the players would disappear from every roster.

There you go. The coolest fact, I think, is that 2/3 of all of the best European players come to the NHL to play professionally. No other league is remotely close.

I'll give you these too (b/c you won't find them anywhere else):

Best professional leagues:

1) NHL (2x KHL)

2) KHL (2x SHL, because the best Swedes play abroad)

3) SHL (NHL = 2(KHL) = 4(SHL) = 8(NLA+ DEL + the rest))

4) NLA ($witzerland)

5) DEL (best of the rest)

Is it wrong that I found this post somewhat interesting?

25yzwqg.png

Archived