Has it ever happened?

CC97

In '96, Roger Clemens pinch hit in a regular season game because no one else was on the bench, and promptly lined a single up the middle, and received a HUGE ovation. It was a great moment! lol

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've heard stories about a baseball game in which a 1st base coach was put into the game because there were no players left... anyone else hear about this?

Way back in the very early 1980's the Baltimore Orioles were playing the Toronto Blue jays in old exhibition Stadium and the Orioles were getting absolutly destroyed, the final score was something like 22-1. Anyhoo, Earl Weaver, who was managing the Orioles at the time had coach Elrod Hendricks go down to the bullpen and warm up and Hendricks actually pitched an inning.

I've heard stories about a baseball game in which a 1st base coach was put into the game because there were no players left... anyone else hear about this?

Way back in the very early 1980's the Baltimore Orioles were playing the Toronto Blue jays in old exhibition Stadium and the Orioles were getting absolutly destroyed, the final score was something like 22-1. Anyhoo, Earl Weaver, who was managing the Orioles at the time had coach Elrod Hendricks go down to the bullpen and warm up and Hendricks actually pitched an inning.

Found the boxscore of that game -- according to his profile tho, Hendricks pitched regularly in 1978.

Jun 26, 1978 - Jays/Orioles Boxscore

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

In '93 the Phillies played a double header vs. the Padres. Due to rain delays, game 2 of the double header didn't start until after 1:00 AM!

The game went into extra innings, and the Phillies ran out of players so they had to send Mitch Williams (the last available pitcher in the bullpen) up to pinch hit. He somehow got a hit, ending the game at 4:30 AM! Had he not gotten that hit, he would have had to finish the game, no matter how long it took because there was no one left.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Found the boxscore of that game -- according to his profile tho, Hendricks pitched regularly in 1978.

Jun 26, 1978 - Jays/Orioles Boxscore

Hmmmmm...Yep, that's the game, but I distinctly recall reading an article about it and that the sportscasters at the time specifically made mention of the fact that Hendricks actually pitched, and how unusual that was because he was a regular coach at the time.

Archived