nas1787

Good Job! Hope to see more concepts of other teams...

I am always looking at how this league can grow and expand to more teams, but it seems like anytime someone just remotely says the word expansion in the CFL, everyone starts complaining and crying like its some bad case of pneumonia. Which is really too bad because this league has some potential.

I'd be happy to see the CFL expand again! I'd really like to see this concept team and Vancouver join up and have the league bring back the Stallions franchise. I'll talk to the NFL to see if they'd be willing to give the Bills to them as well. LOL

• 1 month later...

Surrey will be BCs largest city in the near future. Don't you think it is a lot more logical place for a CFL team. I think Surrey needs a rebranding as a community, putting some pride into the city. The only way I think it would work is cooperation with BC Lions. I think Braley would love to unload the Lions locally, so maybe somebody out there would be willing to buy them with the promise of an expansion team in Surrey. (attn Aqulini bros) Or maybe Braley would like a cash infusion from a terratorial fee. With a promise of cross marketing..(eg I seasons pass for both teams)

Vancouver has no geographical rival like Calgary-Edmonton or Montreal-Toronto ect. so I think a crosstown rival would help attendance, not hurt it. By building a 25 to 30 thousand seat stadium close to the skytrain in Surrey I think would work. Always having a Friday night game in the lower mainland would be exciting. For games against each other like labor Day classics they could use BC place with one side being reserved for Surrey and one for the Lions creating a full house doesn't matter who the home team is. Surrey is alot easier to get to from the Fraser valley than Vancouver so so they could draw from there. Eventually the lions would have to change there name to Vancouver to reflect the new realty. With two teams in BC it would renew interest and lead to expansion to other places like the Okanagan. Also other large cities would see how well it worked and expand into two teams. (eg Calgary) creating a league more like Aussie rules Football than the NFL.

I'm not so sure a CFL team in Surrey would work. First let me say that I am not one of those Vancouver snobs who looks down their nose at Surrey. I worked in Surrey for a bit and am generally very excited about what the city is trying to accomplish. That being said, having ridden the Expo line after a Lions game, I can tell you that the Lions draw a huge crowd from the outer suburbs of Vancouver. I don't necessarily think a Surrey team would hurt the Lions, but would almost certainly have trouble getting off the ground, as people are not often easily persuaded to switch allegiances. Metro Van certainly has the population to support another team, but it also has a very small footprint geographically, and a second team in the Surrey City Centre would only be about 30 km from BC Place. Not enough distance in my opinion.

Also, I just really wanted to do a concept for the Okanagan :)

I live in the okanagan and I dont think we are big enough yet , Although being the only game in town would help.I just thought instead of looking at all these small markets we should look at the metrop olises of a million or more to have two or more teams as a way to expand. This kind of thing is pretty successful in other parts of the world no including the USA.

What about Sudbury, ON? Centrally located, and with a population with 100,000+, I could see a franchise in this city.

And what about Laval QC? But it seems Montreal wants to have sole control of the territorial right in the province of Quebec, which is always the problem when there's a mention of a franchis in Quebec City.

Archived