WWE Logos Thread

Old School Fool

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes that was my point from earlier - it's "wrestling", not "sports". Histories / legacies / etc are whatever the promoters say they are. At the end of the day none of it matters because titles get stripped for no reason, new titles get created out of nowhere and merged with others, etc. Much like you have to suspend belief and dumb yourself down to watch the "sport", you can't really look at the title histories as technically as I am here, because you'll drive yourself nuts and it'll take away from your enjoyment. So if it makes people feel good to say the current BGB represents everything that any iteration of the BGB did, then hey - have fun. Technically, there's no right or wrong / winner or loser in a worked sport.

But if you want to play the "continuation of players... " card, then you have to say that a title's lineage refers to a continuation of defenses (or explicitly definable exceptions, such as strips due to injury, or when it's "held in abeyance" (wtf?)). HHH was just awarded a new title, with a new name, without any mention of any split or unmerge or strip or anything. It just happened to be wearing the same uniform that Bernie Kozar did. I mean it was a similarly shaped belt.

In 2001 the US and Intercontinental Championships were unified. In 2003 the they were de-unified when the US Championship was re-instated without mention of an unmerger.

In 2002 the World Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championships were unified. In 2003 they were de-unified when the Intercontinental Championship was re-instated without mention of an unmerger.

So given that track record the WCW Championship being re-instated under the name "World Heavyweight Championship" without mention of an unmerger isn't odd or irregular.

"The Royals shouldn't have black in their uniforms". "Oh yeah? Well the Mets do!" Just because something else is wrong doesn't excuse any other wrongness.

We're not discussing the IC, US, or any other titles. My brain has not the capacity to consider those situations. It's just easier to think that it's the same belt that Randy Savage wore when I was 10.

At the end of the day, if VKM says that the WWEWHC dates back to ancient Greece, then it dates back to ancient Greece. I'm just saying what actually happened.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's just easier to think that it's the same belt that Randy Savage wore when I was 10.

That's not far off from where I'm at regarding the WCW and World Heavyweight Championships actually. You're an ECW fan, my favourite promotion back when I was 10 was WCW. I like the idea (or liked, now that the titles are seemingly unified for good now) of the old NWA/WCW Championship hanging around. And as you said, it's wrestling. So why not just have fun with it?

That's the ultimate counter to the Browns/Ravens comparison. There are real reasons to want to see lineages all line up where they should when it comes to pro sports.

This is wrestling though. I don't feel like I have to be ideologically consistent here. It's wrestling. I'm allowed to forgo a lot what makes sense to just watch it in the way that makes it more fun for me.

So it sounds like we're kinda on the same page - that the technicalities don't necessarily match up with the realities, and in a worked business, the realities win out, as opposed to real life, where technicalities are important and it's silly to ignore them and claim that Jim Brown is the current Browns all time rushing leader. Good thing wrestling isn't real life! Of course, if it was, 90% of all wrestlers would be in jail (at least one for necrophilia), and there would be a hand getting ready to celebrate it's sweet 16th some time soon.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"The Royals shouldn't have black in their uniforms". "Oh yeah? Well the Mets do!" Just because something else is wrong doesn't excuse any other wrongness.

We're not discussing the IC, US, or any other titles. My brain has not the capacity to consider those situations. It's just easier to think that it's the same belt that Randy Savage wore when I was 10.

At the end of the day, if VKM says that the WWEWHC dates back to ancient Greece, then it dates back to ancient Greece. I'm just saying what actually happened.

Now that WCW Championship belt is retired only thing left is to unified the IC & US belt.

I like the US Title. its like the european belt now lol

I don't know about that. They don't party in Lisbon when the us title changes hands.

So it sounds like we're kinda on the same page - that the technicalities don't necessarily match up with the realities, and in a worked business, the realities win out, as opposed to real life, where technicalities are important and it's silly to ignore them and claim that Jim Brown is the current Browns all time rushing leader. Good thing wrestling isn't real life! Of course, if it was, 90% of all wrestlers would be in jail (at least one for necrophilia), and there would be a hand getting ready to celebrate it's sweet 16th some time soon.

Pretty much all of this. Cheers!

The three tier heavyweight title system has been proven to work, so the US Championship still has a place (it's all I have left!!! :D)

You may have something the Euro title had short but sweet history with HBK, HHH, Owen Hart, Kurt Angle to name a few and British Bulldog.

I'm not done until you call me sparky.

tumblr_mdrm0fIWtk1rd9b3so1_500_zps8050ac

:P

The three tier heavyweight title system has been proven to work, so the US Championship still has a place (it's all I have left!!! :D)

You may have something the Euro title had short but sweet history with HBK, HHH, Owen Hart, Kurt Angle to name a few and British Bulldog.

Yeah, I mean you have the new unified WWE World Heavyweight Championship for the top stars. The Intercontinental Championship is for the future main eventers, old main eventers looking to slow down, and top stars who have nothing to really focus on at the moment. And the US Championship for the mid card and young guys you want to start pushing. Both the WWF and WCW made the three tier system work (in addition to Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight and tag divisions), so I don't see why it couldn't be pulled off today.

Looks like Randy will carry two belts for a while. Guessing we'lll either see a new WWE World Heavyweight Championship belt around WrestleMania time, or they just quietly get rid of the WHC belt.

SN: Glad WWE appears to be headed to a 3 tier title system. Would be nice seeing Ambrose face guys like Tyson Kidd & Justin Gabriel for the US title. Lower card guys.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I'm not done until you call me sparky.

tumblr_mdrm0fIWtk1rd9b3so1_500_zps8050ac

:P

Yeah, I mean you have the new unified WWE World Heavyweight Championship for the top stars. The Intercontinental Championship is for the future main eventers, old main eventers looking to slow down, and top stars who have nothing to really focus on at the moment. And the US Championship for the mid card and young guys you want to start pushing. Both the WWF and WCW made the three tier system work (in addition to Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight and tag divisions), so I don't see why it couldn't be pulled off today.
Agreed and speaking of WCW I remember back in 1990 they had 7 belts!

Looks like Randy will carry two belts for a while. Guessing we'lll either see a new WWE World Heavyweight Championship belt around WrestleMania time, or they just quietly get rid of the WHC belt.

SN: Glad WWE appears to be headed to a 3 tier title system. Would be nice seeing Ambrose face guys like Tyson Kidd & Justin Gabriel for the US title. Lower card guys.

It's a sure bet that the World Heavyweight Championship belt is going to be dismissed.

Also, Dean Ambrose shouldn't be in the lower card. He's too good for that.

bSLCtu2.png

As of right now Ambrose has the number three title. If WWE is to actually go the 3 tier route, he'll have to face lowcard (third tier) guys. Or at the very least drop the title to a lowcard guy.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I don't think the tiered system works well nowadays.

Back in the pre-Raw days, you almost never saw the champ (Hogan for the most part) defend the title on TV. It was only house shows, PPVs, Saturday Night's Main Event, and that's it. I don't recall ever seeing Hogan do anything other than promos on the weekly shows (of course they weren't live back then, and it was just guys vs jobbers.)

You would occasionally see the IC title defended on these shows, and the IC champ was heavily promoted. So for the most part, other than going to live shows, the top guy you were ever going to see was the IC champ. That's part of why it was a huge deal. Randy Savage might as well have been the champ back then. The IC champ would have (in most people's eyes) been the legit number 2 ranked guy in the company, and the only reason he didn't face the champ was because he had to defend his title, which ranked him higher than whatever goon was squaring off against Hogan that month.

There wasn't The Champ, then 10 or 15 guys, then the IC champ, then another 15-20 guys. It was the Champ / IC Champ, then everyone else.

Now, title matches are commonplace, and it's just not believable that there's a "champion" (the IC champ) who is clearly not even in the discussion for top contenders nor even in the top 10 in some cases.

If the title was worth anything, why wouldn't everyone want it? It worked best when the IC champ was pretty much the best guy you were ever going to see for free. Then you could have distinct divisions for the other titles - cruiserweight (which has a weight limit, so it's obvious why not everyone wants it), and... well, I don't know what else would qualify.

I never understood what a "TV" champ was, but I would probably say it's a notch below the IC title, because the IC title was only occasionally defended on TV.

Archived