WWE Logos Thread

Old School Fool

IIRC, the WCW Television Championship was just a way to give technical-wrestling heels some cheap heat, because they could get smacked around and make the fans happy, then keep the belt on a ten-minute draw and do it again next week. I think Steven Regal did this for a year.

Oh, and I really like the idea of the Sharks being a continuation of the original Seals/Barons franchise. The Sharks should declare themselves conference co-champions for 1981 and 1991; it's not like they don't already award themselves banners for no reason.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC, the WCW Television Championship was just a way to give technical-wrestling heels some cheap heat, because they could get smacked around and make the fans happy, then keep the belt on a ten-minute draw and do it again next week. I think Steven Regal did this for a year.

Yes, and it was glorious. Though Booker T and He Who Must Not Be Named had a great best of seven series for the belt at one point. So it did serve a purpose.

Oh, and I really like the idea of the Sharks being a continuation of the original Seals/Barons franchise. The Sharks should declare themselves conference co-champions for 1981 and 1991; it's not like they don't already award themselves banners for no reason.

Yes. On all counts.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we are talking belts and lineage can anyone explain the newer ECW Title situation. When the E brought back ECW as it's own brand the title was a world title. Then after they changed the format of the show to feature up and comers mixed in with some vets the belt became a glorified midcard title. In typical WWE fashion, no explanation was given. All I remember is Christian had a nice run with it but when he won the WHC it was described as his 1st world title. Pretty much confirming the ECW title downgrade. I loved the platinum makeover the belt got as it looked like something worth winning(I hated the old ECW world title) but was baffled by its downgrade in status.

I could understand it seeing as how the show became basically what NXT is now, but even then the NXT Championship is treated like a world title on that show. Any ideas as to what happened?

The NXT Championship is akin to the top championships in the old NWA territories that stayed in the territories while the NWA World Champion toured around. These titles wouldn't be considered world championships but they were the top titles in their territories, so those would be the titles the territory's stars would compete for when the World Champion wasn't around. In that sense the NXT isn't a world championship, but it is the highest title a NXT wrestler can compete for, so it's treated as such on their program.

The ECW Championship? That's a bit confusing, but so was everything about WWE's handling of ECW. At first they treated it as a storyline separate promotion. Raw and SmackDown guys were both seen as being WWE, but ECW was its own entity. The original set for the ECW show on Sci Fi used the old ECW brick wall set. Not a WWE logo was to be seen on the early ECW on Sci Fi tapings. Not on the ring apron, not on the set, not on the Championship belt, not on the tv bug, not on the microphones, not on the referee uniforms. During this period you essentially had two companies from a storyline perspective. The WWE with their two world champions and ECW with their world champion.

The ECW title lost its world status and became like the NXT title is now when ECW stopped being portrayed as a separate entity and started being portrayed as just the WWE C show. Thing was there was no announcement or storyline reason for the switch. It just sort of happened because I guess Vince got bored with the whole ECW thing. Which was a shame because despite not being an ECW fan I dug the whole "rival organization" feel.

Though I think the "Christian's first world championship" remark was more of a shot at TNA then a shot at the ECW Championship.

NewBigLogo_zpsd0f77c76.jpg

Not my work.

Honestly, the new logo looks good on the belt. Better than the scratch logo. However, I really don't like it otherwise. I think it's the pointed tops. It looks ok with the Wrestlemania logo, but by itself, it looks bad.

I think the top of the new logo looks weird, not full enough.

Lookng at the concepts the 2nd to last one should've been chosen.

a73141099bfffa7895fe7fa6759e144f.jpg

I think the best one of these (and they're all bad-to-mediocre) is the middle on in the 4th row. However, I'd flatten the bottom of the W and take out the red "swish" behind it, and give it a little bit of thickness to get closer to the the 80s logo.

Here is the 80s logo "WWE-ized" (or "with the F out" if you wiyeeeel</dusty>). I'm not saying this should be the current logo (it wouldn't work with the WWE Championship belt, IMO), but somwhere in between what they're going with for WWE Network and this one could be nice.

wwevintage.jpg

The pre big-eagle belt designs are actually owned by the beltmakers, not WWE. For example, Midwest Belts (Dave millican, Reggie Parks) can make the winged eagle design, while JMar belts can do some of the others. WWE charges a license fee of at least $1,000 on top of the price of the belt to use their official logo. Therefore, many collectors will opt to have the belt made sans logo, or with knockoff "FWF" or crown logos. Someone made a logo like this that they thought would be OK, but turns out WWE actually does own that design, and licenses it for those crappy replica belts that they sell, so real belt makers can't use it. Same applies with the WCW logo, which is why most "real" WCW belts have a "WOW" logo. NWA has an exclusive deal with a lower-end beltmaker and doesn't license their letters to anyone (though the designs themselves are not copywrited.) Still, "lol NWA" so everyone just bootlegs them.

Here is the 80s logo "WWE-ized" (or "with the F out" if you wiyeeeel</dusty>). I'm not saying this should be the current logo (it wouldn't work with the WWE Championship belt, IMO), but somwhere in between what they're going with for WWE Network and this one could be nice.

wwevintage.jpg

The pre big-eagle belt designs are actually owned by the beltmakers, not WWE. For example, Midwest Belts (Dave millican, Reggie Parks) can make the winged eagle design, while JMar belts can do some of the others. WWE charges a license fee of at least $1,000 on top of the price of the belt to use their official logo. Therefore, many collectors will opt to have the belt made sans logo, or with knockoff "FWF" or crown logos. Someone made a logo like this that they thought would be OK, but turns out WWE actually does own that design, and licenses it for those crappy replica belts that they sell, so real belt makers can't use it. Same applies with the WCW logo, which is why most "real" WCW belts have a "WOW" logo. NWA has an exclusive deal with a lower-end beltmaker and doesn't license their letters to anyone (though the designs themselves are not copywrited.) Still, "lol NWA" so everyone just bootlegs them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, I'm aware of that - and it is very interesting about the belt makers and all of that. I believe the WWE also owns the design for their new tag team championships as well (the bronze ones with the spartan helmets - cool idea, bad in execution) But yeah, the particular "80s with the F out" logo wouldn't look good on the current WWE championship belt, because I presume that when they do change the logo, they'll simply change the belt to be the current one with the new logo on it, like that mockup posted earlier.

lol NWA indeed. First WCW dumped them, then TNA dumped them. Ha!

Speaking of belts and TNA. Jeff Hardy's TNA Championship belt has got to be the silliest world championship belt design ever.

I've been watching RAW and they had a promo of the major announcement with the WWE,Network logo so I'm assuming that the WWE Network logo is going to be WWE official logo.

Or the announcement is the official launch date of the network (which is what my money is on) and they screwed up and let the cat out of the bag early with that graphic.

I've been watching RAW and they had a promo of the major announcement with the WWE,Network logo so I'm assuming that the WWE Network logo is going to be WWE official logo.

Or the announcement is the official launch date of the network (which is what my money is on) and they screwed up and let the cat out of the bag early with that graphic.
It happen just like when everyone felt for the fake logo in 2010

what did that logo look like?

It just like the showtime/old schools logo only difference is they added a E

To be honest, I was never wild about the red underline of the scratch logo. What purpose is it supposed to serve. I think the logo would have looked better without.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

To be honest, I was never wild about the red underline of the scratch logo. What purpose is it supposed to serve. I think the logo would have looked better without.

I always felt it was to honestly make it stick out a lil more than just a random white W placed on a black back drop which would be even more boring than it already was.

TYBG

Indo get rolled up like car windows,
Avoiding the policeman them Carl Winslows

• 2 weeks later...

It was this from Honky Tonk Man's website. Kinda dumb.

y5C1BDT.jpg

y5C1BDT.jpg

Exactly and it wasn't that bad still better than the horrible WCW logo from 1999-2001

y5C1BDT.jpg

259px-Women%27s_Entertainment_2003.svg.p

bufg.png

Archived