Major League Ultimate Unveils 2014 Uniforms

Brass

Somewhat dated news, but the MLU (Major League Ultimate) has unveiled their 2014 uniforms. This season, the league will be sponsored by Puma.

http://mlultimate.com/2014-team-jerseys-released/

Some of them actually look pretty good. Ultimate can be a sport with some gaudy uniforms, especially club teams, but the MLU seems to be taking a much more traditional approach. Overall, their presentation, uniform wise, is much better than their rival, the American Ultimate Disc League.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

"Ultimate" isn't very descriptive of the sport. I'd imagine they'd have more mainstream success if there was a better name for the game. I do realize that's what college kids call it and that it was ultimate frisbee for a while as well. If they cant or won't work a licensing deal with frisbee, maybe using disc in the name would work.

As a whole, the uniforms are rather reserved, which is nice. Kind of a soccer vibe though. Does the sport have an established aesthetic, or would it vary by region since it isn't as established as say baseball or basketball?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Did not know ultimate frisbee was so popular. At least not enough to make a pro league. When I first saw the thread title I though MLB suddenly had a rival or something haha.

More popular than one would think. USA Ultimate, the governing body of the sport on the college and club level, as over 35,000 registered members. That doesn't even begin to scratch the surface since not all college and club players are registered. I would wager that around 95-98% of traditional four year colleges have an active ultimate team and maybe even more than one. It's now steadily growing as a "spectator" sport with some rule modifications to make it more viewer-friendly.

"Ultimate" isn't very descriptive of the sport. I'd imagine they'd have more mainstream success if there was a better name for the game. I do realize that's what college kids call it and that it was ultimate frisbee for a while as well. If they cant or won't work a licensing deal with frisbee, maybe using disc in the name would work.

They won't work out a licensing deal, mainly because the company who owns the trademark to the word "frisbee" (Wham-O) doesn't supply the official discs to USA Ultimate, pro leagues, nor any legitimate college tournament or program. Discraft is the preferred disc of choice in ultimate, and yes, there is a huge difference between a Discraft and a Wham-O. In MLU's case, Innova is the official supplier. Their discs are meh. The AUDL, on the other hand, does use the word "disc" in their name, but around the ultimate community, their league is pretty laughable.

what the hell is ccslc?

But while Frisbee is a brand, it's also what the overwhelming majority of Americans think is the name of the actual disc. It would make a lot of sense (at least to me) for Whamo to work with the league to develop a better disc, and sign a naming rights / exclusive supplier type deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Finding out that there's a gym class activity called "ultimate frisbee" and then actually playing ultimate frisbee was a letdown on the level of finding out Santa isn't real.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

finding out Santa isn't real.

Dude, spoiler tag that :censored:!

Those Spinners jerseys look much better than the sublimated messes of the ones they had last year or the year before.

Their first year. That year they were in the AUDL. That league basically had a meltdown and the Spinners GM started the MLU. Pretty crazy storyline.

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived