Helmet Stripes Out Dated?

daveindc

I don't see any NFL team that currently uses helmet stripes eliminating them. In fact wouldn't surprise me to see Denver and Tennessee go with more traditional helmet stripes at some point in the future. So to answer the original question, no.

Denver and Tennessee going back to "traditional" stripes? They aren't going back to those stripes. The stripes they have now are what's "traditional" to them at this point. If anything, they will do away with them altogether.

Yes. The tapered stripes both use are products of the late 90s, remnants of a trend that's come and gone. I could see both going with traditional stripes because, whether you like them or not, they're considered the "proper" look for a football uniform. The practical reasons for them may have gone, but proper helmet stripes as a design element are still ingrained in the aesthetic of football.

"Proper" and "traditional"? You sound like those old guys probably did when they complained as stripes first started to appear on helmets for the first time. Times change. Designs change. Move on.

Oh, OK then. :rolleyes:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Helmet stripes are not outdated. They are one of few traditional graphic elements that still fit/work as they were inteded to on modern equipment.

The need for them is not functional, it is a design/decoration used to seperate one team from another, like a logo or color palette. think of them as a pattern. patterns/stripes can be strong brand elements as you see with Ohio State or Michigan, or especially the Browns. They can provide repitition, rythem, unity, variety, direction/flow, balance color, and occupy space in a uniform design.

As long as there are helmets in football, there will be a number of teams using them. It is part of the graphic language of the sport.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I think more teams could use them. Plain helmets look odd to me from the front when you can't see the side decals. New+York+Giants+v+New+England+Patriots+0

Agreed. But they look odd when the logo is visible in the back, or "tails" if you will.

That's why I think the titans designer didn't continue the stripes all the way to the back. Same with the Broncos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't see any NFL team that currently uses helmet stripes eliminating them. In fact wouldn't surprise me to see Denver and Tennessee go with more traditional helmet stripes at some point in the future. So to answer the original question, no.

Denver and Tennessee going back to "traditional" stripes? They aren't going back to those stripes. The stripes they have now are what's "traditional" to them at this point. If anything, they will do away with them altogether.

Yes. The tapered stripes both use are products of the late 90s, remnants of a trend that's come and gone. I could see both going with traditional stripes because, whether you like them or not, they're considered the "proper" look for a football uniform. The practical reasons for them may have gone, but proper helmet stripes as a design element are still ingrained in the aesthetic of football.

"Proper" and "traditional"? You sound like those old guys probably did when they complained as stripes first started to appear on helmets for the first time. Times change. Designs change. Move on.
I'm 26. I grew up during the heyday of off-the-wall designs, side panels, piping, giant dinosaur logos, duck shaped hockey masks, and teal as far as the eye could see.

So...no.

Well yeah - without sleeves, sleeve stripes are definitely outdated.

At least horizontal ones...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hmm... Since most jerseys use a different cut than the traditional design, by this logic, sleeve stripes are outdated. Let's eliminate them too.

Yes, they are in The way they are applied. Those stripes were a solution to a problem that is different than what we have today. The integrity of jersey stripes is compromised because they were designed for sleeves, not shoulders.

But the idea of jersey stripes is still strong. The butchered solutions we have now is better than nothing for teams whose designs go back a few decades. stripes on jerseys will also be around forever, but the ideal solution for the modern uniform is to do what Nike did with Oklahoma State

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Talk about a topic posted with an agenda in mind.

So you want everybody to wear plain helmets with a logo on the side?

That would be really boring.

Stripes aren't outdated anyways. A lot of modern designs have unveiled recent designs that use helmet stripes (Miami Dolphins) so even your opening thesis is flawed..

PvO6ZWJ.png

What the hell is your problem? Helmet stripes work great. They're never going away at all. It's a football tradition, and it's going to stay as long as they're still wearing helmets in football.

PS: Nobody here knows you, and for you to make a first impression like this will make people dislike you from the start.

Huh? What did I say that's so wrong? Something you don't agree with? Relax.

Talk about a topic posted with an agenda in mind.

So you want everybody to wear plain helmets with a logo on the side?

That would be really boring.

Stripes aren't outdated anyways. A lot of modern designs have unveiled recent designs that use helmet stripes (Miami Dolphins) so even your opening thesis is flawed..

Agenda? How? I just wanted to see what people's opinions were. I don't really care one way or the other. lol The Dolphins stripe is more modern. There are people who complain about the way that looks too.

So now you're cherry picking what stripes aren't outdated? Your argument's already falling apart.

Also it's clear you have an "agenda." No amount of "I don't care lol" remarks will change that.

What "agenda" is that? Agenda against helmet stripes? Seriously? I just wanted to generate some discussion. A lot of people here are so sensitive to changes in "tradition", or what some people here describe as "proper". Relax.

It seems helmet stripes were intended to sort of decorate, or camouflage, the raised middle portion of the older style helmet which is not used anymore. Is it time to move away from helmet stripes?

It seems like humans were used to play football because we didn't have any space robots, but since humans have been around for so long, isn't it time we make the update?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I'm not going to say you had an agenda or that even the discussion is bad. I will say what I tell a lot of newer members that bring up the subject of what we like or don't like.

Any time one suggests change from the familiar there will inevitably be backlash from those that like the familiar. That makes us human just like you prefer change, which is also human. Calling us out for calling you out does neither side any good. We're not old guys that need to move on. You're not some young whippersnapper who spits on tradition either. However, calling people out in the fashion you've already chosen portrays you as a douche.

I don't think you're a douche. I also don't think you're doing yourself any favors.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I'm not going to say you had an agenda or that even the discussion is bad. I will say what I tell a lot of newer members that bring up the subject of what we like or don't like.

Any time one suggests change from the familiar there will inevitably be backlash from those that like the familiar. That makes us human just like you prefer change, which is also human. Calling us out for calling you out does neither side any good. We're not old guys that need to move on. You're not some young whippersnapper who spits on tradition either. However, calling people out in the fashion you've already chosen portrays you as a douche.

I don't think you're a douche. I also don't think you're doing yourself any favors.

That's not what I said, and spare me that "newbie" nonsense. Some people here are just too afraid to step out of the box and think different.

That's not what I said, and spare me that "newbie" nonsense. Some people here are just too afraid to step out of the box and think different.

Progress for the sake of progress is not progress.

jNTsTyQ.png

wow, I'm just going to go out and say it. This kid is an idiot, the fact that the dolphins have stripes isn't the problem, it's the way they did them, if it was just and orange aqua orange stripe like the old set i would love it and most would here too. You seem to be so off base with you reasons for not having stripes that you look like an ignorant douche.

Archived