Helmet Stripes Out Dated?

daveindc

I always believed that helmet stripes were there as an aid to the quarterback. One, it allows the QB to have a better idea of what direction the receiver is facing and, 2, it helps differentiate a WR from a CB when the teams have otherwise similar helmets. I never thought it had anything to do with the center ridge.

EDIT: this makes more sense when you place it in the historical context of when there were a lot more plain helmets and fewer teams had helmet logos.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stripe in the middle of the helmet might stick around simply because it adds symmetry, and looks traditional. I see none of the "traditional" teams, the ones who are known for the same look over decades, dropping them anytime soon.

However, with no more raised ridge in the middle of the helmet, there is no longer a reason for them to be there, other than for purely aesthetic purposes.

I would not be surprised if more "new" and "modern" designs neglect to include the center stripe simply because of that.

Someday, there will likely be another element to a helmet that will make a new way to stripe obvious, something we cannot foresee.

As we see with sleeve stripes getting crowded, stretched, and cut off, maybe helmet stripes will be similarly pushed out. I'm sure nobody would have imagined Green Bay losing half their sleeve stripes because there wasn't room, and now nobody thinks twice about it, and few actively miss the old style. Helmet stripes could do the same thing. Who knows.

Excellent post. Agreed.

I don't think stripes should go away but I do like how the Seahawks have worked with the newer helmet shapes to create an interesting design element. Maybe we just need a little more well thought out stripe designs.

427784_339845636064287_754574189_n.jpg

Agreed.

To answer this question, and stay out of the hostility/name calling. It depends on each team and how they use helmet stripes as a design element. The Redskins without helmet stripes, looks good and cleaner, but I prefer the helmet stripes as it brightens up the helmet that is otherwise full of dull colors. I like the Titans and Ravens striping. I've gotten use to the Broncos striping and now like it. I like tradition striping. The Dolphins striping doesn't work, because they screwed up the whole redesign with the minimalizing of orange on the uniforms. Where as the current Seahawks helmet, the striping is horrible because it's just a continuation of a complete over-designed uniform. If you ever want to talk about a needless element on a helmet, it's that Seahawks design. That is how exactly over-design a uniform and make it look horrible. Again, it just depends on the team.

Why can't modern helmet design include a flat surface big enough to place a logo without having some hole or notch in the way?

This looks great

1385135942000-11-23-ALLEN.JPG

This looks stupid

Cordarrelle-Patterson-Minnesota-Vikings-

we don't know why they put the vent holes where they do, it could be that area causes more air flow to the back of the head, or could be a spot that allows air to flow around a pad, or could be something to do with safety. Or it could be a design ploy by ridell. But we do know that these new helmets with the vent holes are more safe then the old ones with out, if they have to cut a decal around the holes, so be it.

I am a huge fan of helmet stripes and I hope they never go away. I will agree that some teams can pull helmets off with no stripes (Oregon), but for teams like Ohio State I could not imagine a solid silver helmet with no logos or stripes as that would be too plain. Heck, even Penn State, one of most traditional (some say boring) uniform in College Football has a helmet stripe on their set.

Now I do believe that in order for a team to use helmet stripes they need to use stripes on the jersey or pants as well in order to pull it off correctly. I will use the Cleveland Browns as an example:

The stripe on the helmet works great with these pants:

75789741.jpg

Now when the Browns pants are worn, I believe this is not a great look as the pants are too plain and need stripes:

browns0817x-large.jpg

But if you look at the orange pants, the stripes makes the whole uniform "pop" from head to toe:

browns.jpg

I agree, and it's sickening to see that last Browns photo and realize how good they could look. The stripe-less brown pants are absolutely hideous. Pants should mirror the helmet whenever feasible.

To continue your example with the team that always comes to mind for me when the subject of misplaced helmet stripes comes up, they look fine with this uniform...

10080505-large.jpg

...but completely out-of-place with this one...

New-Orleans-Saints-QB-Drew-Brees.jpg

If we're going to start peeling stripes, this is the team I'd start with. It might require an enlargement of the logo, though.

I am a huge fan of helmet stripes and I hope they never go away. I will agree that some teams can pull helmets off with no stripes (Oregon), but for teams like Ohio State I could not imagine a solid silver helmet with no logos or stripes as that would be too plain. Heck, even Penn State, one of most traditional (some say boring) uniform in College Football has a helmet stripe on their set.

Now I do believe that in order for a team to use helmet stripes they need to use stripes on the jersey or pants as well in order to pull it off correctly. I will use the Cleveland Browns as an example:

75789741.jpg

Now when the Browns pants are worn, I believe this is not a great look as the pants are too plain and need stripes:

browns0817x-large.jpg

But if you look at the orange pants, the stripes makes the whole uniform "pop" from head to toe:

browns.jpg

I agree, and it's sickening to see that last Browns photo and realize how good they could look. The stripe-less brown pants are absolutely hideous. Pants should mirror the helmet whenever feasible.

To continue your example with the team that always comes to mind for me when the subject of misplaced helmet stripes comes up, they look fine with this uniform...

10080505-large.jpg

If we're going to start peeling stripes, this is the team I'd start with. It might require an enlargement of the logo, though.

my solution would be to scrap the black pants, the gold ones are so much better and hate that they hardly ever wear them.

I could see some future designs following the shape of new helmets, but helmet stripes as a whole will never disappear for good.

uconn-helmet2-590x590.jpg

I agree that designers should now look to create designs that work with the helmet structure. Obviously wouldn't work with the more traditional teams but when the option to change is there, it should at least be considered.

I could see some future designs following the shape of new helmets, but helmet stripes as a whole will never disappear for good.

I agree that designers should now look to create designs that work with the helmet structure. Obviously wouldn't work with the more traditional teams but when the option to change is there, it should at least be considered.

but the thing is, there are more types of helmets than the revo speed, even the speed 360 is a completely different shell than these, I see traditional writing looking a lot better than these need style stripes, even the panthers stripes that went with the curve of the old revo helmets look outdated now.

75789741.jpg

browns0817x-large.jpg

browns.jpg

10080505-large.jpg

my solution would be to scrap the black pants, the gold ones are so much better and hate that they hardly ever wear them.

Yeah,

The obvious answer is that pants SHOULD have stripes, not that helmets shouldn't. I cannot stand the leggings look of non-striped pants. It only works in a very few cases (Notre Dame). Cleveland, Baltimore and New Orleans all have better pants with stripes (white, gold, even Cleveland orange) than the dull stripeless pants.

what wouldnt work about that stripe on a Revolution or Xenith, or any helmet without those ridges? it wouldnt change at all. applying that stripe to another helmet would be the same as the Michigan design on any helmet today. just because it was designed with the lines and shape of one helmet in mind dosen't mean it couldn't apply to another and not still work.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived