College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

Duke used the script logos at the turn of the century.

3LVZ5CN.jpg

QrWqkFj.jpg

not Duke's best look, but Carolina looked much better then

Carolina wears garnet and black, not two blues, that's North Carolina.

I'm familiar with North Carolina, South Carolina, Coastal Carolina and even East Carolina.....never heard of just "Carolina." :P

you forgot the Catamounts of Western Carolina...or maybe not

as someone who lives instate, it does sometimes get confusing when someone talks about "Carolina," though that almost always means they're talking about the Tar Heels, or just "Heels," though non-locals may be talking about either the "Canes" (Carolina Hurricanes) or the "Panthers" (Carolina Panthers)

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3LVZ5CN.jpg

QrWqkFj.jpg

I'm familiar with North Carolina, South Carolina, Coastal Carolina and even East Carolina.....never heard of just "Carolina." :P

as someone who lives instate, it does sometimes get confusing when someone talks about "Carolina," though that almost always means they're talking about the Tar Heels, or just "Heels," though non-locals may be talking about either the "Canes" (Carolina Hurricanes) or the "Panthers" (Carolina Panthers)

Which state is the one where the governor ran off with his mistress on the taxpayer dime and lied about it? Hard to keep the two straight when you don't live in the region.

3LVZ5CN.jpg

QrWqkFj.jpg

Which state is the one where the governor ran off with his mistress on the taxpayer dime and lied about it? Hard to keep the two straight when you don't live in the region.

not mine, we have John Edwards however...though technically he was born in SC

South Carolina - Mark Sanford

spacer.png

I'm good with the Jesus sign on the ASU helmets as long as it's optional for each player.

But I've learned over the years not to swim upstream when it comes to the Jesus religion and its rituals.

When you've been around for a thousand years and dominate the landscape, I think it's safe to allow them to operate how the wish in these trifle matters.

On a another topic, what are yall's thoughts on the US flag on the helmets of both college and pro teams? It's been 13 years and they still have them on there. When will it be OK to remove?

Looks like Texas A&M will be wearing an alternate uniform that throws back to 1939 for their game against Louisiana-Monroe on 11/1 in honor of the 75th anniversary of Texas A&M's last national title. Adidas tweeted this out.

Honor the past. Own the future. A tribute to the 1939 National Champion Aggies. 11/1/14. #GigEm #teamadidas

A&M STILL celebrating that pre-WWII national title (pssssssssst, that's a LEATHER helmet).

SMU to wear chrome helmets against Texas A&M Saturday:

ULYEgC4.jpg

Seems pretty obvious they got that idea from the Calgary Stampeders.

If you mean a red helmet, SMU has worn a red helmet w/ a white pony way back in the late 60's. If you mean the logo itself, I had always thought SMU had it first, but according to my just completed search of the interwebs, they both started using it in 1968. If you mean the chrome... I have no idea.

ff732bdd296027f6df79ebcce894f5f52b17612c29_hixson.jpg

I found this image of the Stampeders from the 60's... not sure of the year. (Is that Toronto they're playing?)

Harris.Wayne-wide.JPG

Mostly about the chrome...Just seemed to be too much of a coincidence that both SMU and Calgary used chrome horse logos in 2014.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On a another topic, what are yall's thoughts on the US flag on the helmets of both college and pro teams? It's been 13 years and they still have them on there. When will it be OK to remove?

NFL National Football League

NCAA National Collegiate Athletic Association

I dont think the flag will go.

We're still at war, whether officially or not, so expect it to stay.

The first and third picture are from today and are supposed to be the fixed helmets with last year's gold and a slightly different facemask color.

The second picture is the helmet worn during the first two games.

In the picture that there is a lack of light, it looks good. But the third one where there is a bit of sunlight, it looks more like the middle picture.

Arkansas state is being forced to remove the cross from our helemts that had the initials of two team members who passed away this offseason. Apperantly made it up to the state Supreme Court.

I posted a story about this in the "Sports General" section, but just in case you never go there, I will post it again here. As of this morning, the ASU players are allowed to wear the cross on their helmets if they want to as the school has been hammered with over 25,000 emails complaining about he removal of the crosses. In addition, one unnamed player sought legal advice from the Liberty Institute and they sent a letter to the President of ASU demanding the crosses be accepted or legal action would ensue. The player fought for his team's free speech and has won. Here is the link to the story and this is a great win in my opinion.

I wonder if the writers of those 25,000 emails will consider it a great win the first time a player feels he needs to express his free speech by displaying a satanic pentagram on his helmet?

Exactly. I can't wait for players to start adorn their helmets with tributes featuring crescents, pentagrams, asian swastikas, and upside down crucifixes. Hell I'd promote the anarchist's circle A on my helmet as an honor/tribute to something if that's the road we're going down.

So a football helmet is a valid venue to express an individual's "free speech" now, huh? What could possibly go wrong? Why limit it to religion?

NFL National Football League

NCAA National Collegiate Athletic Association

I dont think the flag will go.

We're still at war, whether officially or not, so expect it to stay.

Agreed. At some point when we no longer have troops involved in wars the flag will come off of the helmets, the NCAA basketball jerseys and tourney floors, and the NBA backboards. 9/11 Afghanistan/Iraq were why the flags went on and then stayed. Just like flag patches were worn during the Gulf War in 1991. Before ISIS, I figured the flags would come off next season as the war in Afghanistan officially ends at the end of 2014. Now, probably not.

Archived