College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oregon throwbacks are pretty great! Love that look. However, the pants should have the UO logo on the left leg, not the right leg. Mistake by Nike.

There's enough things right with them to overlook that and the number font differences. As with any retro, if you can get about 70-80% of an original right, then most fans won't notice that much of a difference.

True, and I guess there is a small chance that the promo photo is not quite correct and the real pants will have it on the left leg.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I predicted weeks ago they'd claim they were in honor of Red Grange and call them Gray Ghost uniforms.

"Debuting Oct. 25. #Illini Gray Ghost uniforms.

More to come ..." http://t.co/sjFOuBJBH9

It's amazing that about 90 other schools have honored Red Grange as well in the past couple of years. :)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's funny how much Oregon fans love to celebrate that interception, instead of perhaps the coaching changes (philosophy, recruiting) that actually turned the program around.

I agree, it's a pivotal moment but I'm getting tired of going to UO events and seeing Kenny Wheaton be like 68% of the pregame video montages. Throw a little Joey Harrington or LaMichael James in there, for crying out loud.

Wht does it say that I have no idea what this interception is, who made it, or against whom?

Apparently Ducks can't hear. As I too would like to know the answer to this question...

It's a famous play that occurred in 1994 against 9th-ranked Washington where Oregon CB Kenny Wheaton picked off UW QB Damon Huard at the 3-yard line and returned it 97 yards for a game-clinching TD. That win helped Oregon propel Oregon to its first Rose Bowl appearance since 1958. It's also famous locally because of the call made by long-time radio announcer Jerry Allen.

I don't understand this Grey Ghost deal. I know we have a few Illini guys here, so mind explaining?

A streak of fire, a breath of flame

Eluding all who reach and clutch;

A gray ghost thrown into the game

That rival hands may never touch;

A rubber bounding, blasting soul

Whose destination is the goal.

Red Grange of Illinois!

-- Grantland Rice, 1924

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I don't understand this Grey Ghost deal. I know we have a few Illini guys here, so mind explaining?

Red Grange of Illinois!

-- Grantland Rice, 1924

They could've gone with the "streak of fire" reference and used orange...

Red Grange of Illinois!

-- Grantland Rice, 1924

did the uniforms inspire the nickname? were the jerseys gray back then?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Red Grange of Illinois!

-- Grantland Rice, 1924

Not exactly sure where the gray reference in the poem comes from. Someone else might know more than me. These uniforms were orange and blue:

red-grange.jpg

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Red Grange of Illinois!

-- Grantland Rice, 1924

Grange got the nickname "The Galloping Ghost" because of this poem. I have no idea why he decided to describe him as a gray ghost though. I guess because the other team couldn't touch him?

Bz7sCLaCcAAB2wh.jpg

Illinois is releasing their alts. Grey (surprise) inspired by Red Grange.

A vain attempt to summon his spirit to strangle Tim Beckman on the sidelines I take it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived