College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New helmets for the USF Bulls...no changes to the uniforms.

10516752_10152566802829600_7759058167379

Wow, chrome and matte are so original.

That helmet on the left is gorgeous, not going to lie.

I agree with Soarindude. That helmet is gorgeous.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Ah but what is on the other side?

New helmets for the USF Bulls...no changes to the uniforms.

10516752_10152566802829600_7759058167379

Wow, chrome and matte are so original.

That helmet on the left is gorgeous, not going to lie.

I agree with Soarindude. That helmet is gorgeous.

BrfOov3CQAAgWZT.jpgBrfTwCBCUAEfMJi.jpg

The white helmet looks too much like Nebraska, but perhaps that is not relevant to Sooner fans anymore.

Oklahoma wore white helmets with a red stripe until 1966. They've worn them as throwbacks in 2003 and 2009. Here's a closer look at the helmet, showing a little more detail on the wood grain...

2PzjvWz.png

My only issue with USF's matte helmet is that the logos aren't even. One is further up towards the facemask than the other. If they were even I'd like it a lot more.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

My only issue with USF's matte helmet is that the logos aren't even. One is further up towards the facemask than the other. If they were even I'd like it a lot more.

Well its the same logo on both sides so there is no way they can be even on the front. Kinda hard to make a non-symmetrical logo look the same on both sides.

BrfOov3CQAAgWZT.jpgBrfTwCBCUAEfMJi.jpg

The white helmet looks too much like Nebraska, but perhaps that is not relevant to Sooner fans anymore.

Oklahoma wore white helmets with a red stripe until 1966. They've worn them as throwbacks in 2003 and 2009. Here's a closer look at the helmet, showing a little more detail on the wood grain...

2PzjvWz.png

Does someone want the explain what "bring the wood" has to do with the sooners?

The explanation I heard was bc the Sooner schooner was made of wood.

Which is a huge stretch in my opinion, which is the only thing killing this new modernization. Personally, I like the wood. I think it's aesthetically pleasing and makes for a unique design. However, the lack of historical connection of wood to Oklahoma makes this re-brand kinda goofy. But hey, all traditions have to start somewhere. :lol:

Which is a huge stretch in my opinion, which is the only thing killing this new modernization. Personally, I like the wood. I think it's aesthetically pleasing and makes for a unique design. However, the lack of historical connection of wood to Oklahoma makes this re-brand kinda goofy. But hey, all traditions have to start somewhere. :lol:
?

So... if the helmet weighs as much as a duck, it's made of wood, and therefore...

That said, it's something invoking the schooner, which is severely underused by the athletic department. I've played with helmet concepts with the entire schooner logo before, and you end up with either an oversized logo or a decent sized one with all the detail lost. The club hockey team does have a crimson and cream (not white) jersey with the schooner for a crest, but the only major sport example at OU I can think of is the wagon wheel of the schooner on the waistband of the men's basketball jerseys.

iD2Ip17.jpg

These really would have made great unis for Stanford IMO.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Yeah that was the official explanation. But it is definitely a stretch.

As a lifelong Sooner fan, I've never once heard anyone say anything about "Bringing the Wood."

Archived