College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks more like a LAX helmet than a football helmet. Hopefully it'll help with concussions.

Too bad it most likely wont make a statistically significant difference. Possibly the it may help with the repeated blunt impacts that can cause damage to interior lineman type long term head injuries (like boxers).

What people don't seem to grasp is that a true concusion has very little to do with cushioning the initial impact (i.e. more advanced padding) as a concussion a result of a sudden acceleration of the brain abruptly slamming itself into the side of the skull which also involves the flexibility of the neck as well.

A helment can only address a small part of the issue as the force also gets transferred to the neck which causes the whiplash effect. I don't think helmet technology on its own will ever solve this issue.

new 2014 helmet from Riddell:

Bd940KeCMAEAx-c.jpg

SDSU_EQ SDSU Equipment Room 21m

Introducing the new @RiddellSports Speed Flex helmet. Certain #AztecFB will be wearing this helmet come Spring ball.

Bd95LmMCMAAzouM.jpg

SDSU_EQ SDSU Equipment Room 20m
The new @RiddellSports Speed Flex is only available to certain schools and we are proud to be one of the select few

52b1d031c52c3.image.jpg

Bd940KeCMAEAx-c.jpg

Introducing the new @RiddellSports Speed Flex helmet. Certain #AztecFB will be wearing this helmet come Spring ball.

Bd95LmMCMAAzouM.jpg

The new @RiddellSports Speed Flex is only available to certain schools and we are proud to be one of the select few

52b1d031c52c3.image.jpg

That appears to be Katy High School (outside Houston, TX) for those who don't recognize it.

Bd940KeCMAEAx-c.jpg

Bd95LmMCMAAzouM.jpg

52b1d031c52c3.image.jpg

That appears to be Katy High School (outside Houston, TX) for those who don't recognize it.

That's a much better look at the helmet. I wondered what the name of it was when I was watching the playoffs this year. They're playing San Antonio (Ladybird) Johnson Jaguars

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Bd940KeCMAEAx-c.jpg

Bd95LmMCMAAzouM.jpg

I'm all for safety, but this is overdesigned. The vents and angles are way overdone and distracting. Riddell has been trying to make the helmet the "star" but they just make it so that any decoration clashes with it, which is a part of football aesthetic and tradition. Schutt and Zenith look good and are safety rated. Next year may be another ugly year for helmets if this takes off.

Bd940KeCMAEAx-c.jpg

Bd95LmMCMAAzouM.jpg

I'm all for safety, but this is overdesigned. The vents and angles are way overdone and distracting. Riddell has been trying to make the helmet the "star" but they just make it so that any decoration clashes with it, which is a part of football aesthetic and tradition. Schutt and Zenith look good and are safety rated. Next year may be another ugly year for helmets if this takes off.

My thoughts exactly. The Riddell 360 is about as far as I'll go in regards to overly designed helmets. There's plenty of room for a decal or stripes, and pretty minimal interference by the vents on the helmet. Just think about how the Chargers or Rams would look if they used these new helmets.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Bd940KeCMAEAx-c.jpg

Bd95LmMCMAAzouM.jpg

My thoughts exactly. The Riddell 360 is about as far as I'll go in regards to overly designed helmets. There's plenty of room for a decal or stripes, and pretty minimal interference by the vents on the helmet. Just think about how the Chargers or Rams would look if they used these new helmets.

I'm assuming that the cutout in the front/crown is a secret compartment of sorts? Any idea what's inside there?

Archived