College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

It looks like Penn State is adding numbers to it's helmets. I just hope there isn't a oversized logo on the other side.

10488583_1439997172953841_506076198_n.jp

I saw a tweet from a reputable source saying just coach decoration, not for the field. I wish I could find the tweet but I can not...

Sounds like backtracking to me. Most likely a mockup and this was the department leaking the image to gauge fan reaction. Too bad. They should just go for it.

No. There is no need to just 'go for it'. Especially if alumni were opposed to the change.

Alumni...alumni??? Alumni don't matter. College football is all about recruits!! :)

IMO, I do like the numbers on the helmet, but I doubt they actually use them during the season.

It looks like Illinois is going to have silver uniforms this year. The biggest Illini merchandise store in Champaign tweeted this picture of the replica jerseys. Also, no navy jerseys are available to buy this year, so I'm assuming the rumors about the team not getting the blue jerseys and pants until next year are true.

https://twitter.com/gamedayspirit/status/489161831127064579

yhpuzQV.jpg

The gray is really lame. Navy should have been the first things produced.
That's bad. It doesn't help that the first thing we're seeing is the replica, but I can't imagine this will look good. I'm also wondering if the actual jerseys will be more of a silver and if there will be more helmets since the rumors I saw always mentioned silver, but not gray.

And I'm suspecting the no blue jerseys/helmets rumor to be true. If it is, that is awful from whoever made the call. I'm guessing Nike said they can make you three sets of uniforms in time for the first season and Illinois picked orange, white, and silver. If that's the case, it's just an awful decision. Blue has been the primary forever (except last year when it technically was, but they wore orange more) and should've been the easy choice if they could only get one dark uniform in time for the season. And if they picked gray over blue, I don't even know. Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll have a blue jersey this year, but I'm not counting on it.

Where did the no blue jersey rumor stem from?

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

University of Houston's field for their new stadium.

10458306_793498240670919_887219258078406

Not sure how to feel about this...I like the skyline but I've never liked the cougar logo but it's something different in Houston which hasn't happened since the rockets came out with the awesome space floor years ago

I first heard the rumor on Illinois Loyalty.

Was Nike's reasoning they couldn't mass-produce the blue dye? If the rumor's true, that's unfortunate because it was my favorite jersey they debuted.
The reasoning I heard was that since the school had to replace uniforms for so many sports because of the rebrand they didn't have funds for 4 sets of football uniforms (orange, navy, grey & white). Apparently for some reason someone decided to get grey uniforms this year and wait until next year to get navy uniforms. I'm assuming the players and recruits were a factor in the decision. The school still hasn't confirmed no navy uniforms this year, but everything so far is pointing to that.

Was Nike's reasoning they couldn't mass-produce the blue dye? If the rumor's true, that's unfortunate because it was my favorite jersey they debuted.
The reasoning I heard was that since the school had to replace uniforms for so many sports because of the rebrand they didn't have funds for 4 sets of football uniforms (orange, navy, grey & white). Apparently for some reason someone decided to get grey uniforms this year and wait until next year to get navy uniforms. I'm assuming the players and recruits were a factor in the decision. The school still hasn't confirmed no navy uniforms this year, but everything so far is pointing to that.

How on earth could a school in the B1G run out of nikebucks to procure new uniforms immediately after the unveiling of a rebrand? I thought the schools minted money off these apparel deals with their suppliers?

Make the badminton team wear one less uniform, so your flagship team can have more combos. Come on guys, get it together.

How on earth could a school in the B1G run out of nikebucks to procure new uniforms immediately after the unveiling of a rebrand? I thought the schools minted money off these apparel deals with their suppliers?

It happens more often than you think. Illinois didn't have navy pants for their previous uniforms until boosters offered to pay for them.

The way I understand it, these schools receive an annual budget in dollars from the sponsored equipment supplier each year and they choose how to allocate their budget, be that through uniforms, workout shirts, sweatpants, cleats, etc. Perhaps they maxed out their annual budget and made the boneheaded decision to do gray instead of navy.

University of Houston's field for their new stadium.

10458306_793498240670919_887219258078406

Not sure how to feel about this...I like the skyline but I've never liked the cougar logo but it's something different in Houston which hasn't happened since the rockets came out with the awesome space floor years ago

I can't really say why, but the EZ graphics just don't work for me. I guess I'll get used to them.

That makes sense because the jersey template looks like Russell's cut that the Orlando Predators and Western Kentucky were wearing.

It's UA's newest template. Texas Tech used it all last year, and Maryland's flag-sleeved unis were on it as well.

Adidas, please go away

10497943_10154403502210249_515826391632010350340_10154403502635249_6684221940597

10482592_10154403501945249_562707926369610428269_10154403502260249_5601260352400

Holy crap, I love these... BUT NOT FOR UCLA. If this were for any other team that used those 3 colors, it would be amazing, but for a school riddled with tradition like UCLA, this is stupid, and I hated it when they did it last season as well.

Honestly though, how can you not like these 3 colors together, and that number font is beautiful as well. Only problem is the weird cut-outs in the stripes.

i agree the color palette is gorgeous and the strike through number font pairs well with the over-the-shoulder stripes, which adidas has extended past the seam they have historically been cut off at. i love that the gold is an actual metallic material.

the rest of it is poop. gloss mask on a matte shell with the same paint color. that crazy ass pattern on the jerseys no one liked a year ago. the cuts in the stripes. a skyline design with a gradient in the hip logo. what happened to the adidas of 2 years ago that did Texas A&M and the Michigan alternates? they were about to dethrone Nike as the best design team in CFB, and since they've started focusing on crazy patterns which scream for attention, it's like they gave up competing for #1 and have tried to out-UnderArmor UnderArmor. even in their presentation photos, they've gotten away from a subtle, elegant brick background to this nonsense that is more of UA's style. if the plan is to let Nike own American sports and play for #2 to a dumber crowd who can't get enough flashy, shiny, crap then they're doing a great job of that.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i agree the color palette is gorgeous and the strike through number font pairs well with the over-the-shoulder stripes, which adidas has extended past the seam they have historically been cut off at. i love that the gold is an actual metallic material.

the rest of it is poop. gloss mask on a matte shell with the same paint color. that crazy ass pattern on the jerseys no one liked a year ago. the cuts in the stripes. a skyline design with a gradient in the hip logo. what happened to the adidas of 2 years ago that did Texas A&M and the Michigan alternates? they were about to dethrone Nike as the best design team in CFB, and since they've started focusing on crazy patterns which scream for attention, it's like they gave up competing for #1 and have tried to out-UnderArmor UnderArmor. even in their presentation photos, they've gotten away from a subtle, elegant brick background to this nonsense that is more of UA's style. if the plan is to let Nike own American sports and play for #2 to a dumber crowd who can't get enough flashy, shiny, crap then they're doing a great job of that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They've opted to put all of their design resources into Global Football and let unpaid interns recolor the scraps of their American Football business line.

That makes sense because the jersey template looks like Russell's cut that the Orlando Predators and Western Kentucky were wearing.

It's UA's newest template. Texas Tech used it all last year, and Maryland's flag-sleeved unis were on it as well.

This is false. Everyone wore the same template last year. As an Auburn fan, I've been waiting to see what UA's new template looks like. But TTech did not wear those last year

2013-texas-tech-lone-star-football-unifonew-2013-texas-tech-football-helmet-neve

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

The replica Illinois jerseys came out today. It might be hard to see in this picture, but the sublimated column pattern is on the sleeves and not the front of the jerseys as shown in the press release. I don't know if this means they changed the design after the press conference or if they're just making the replicas like this.

SyvgHI6.jpg

Update: Never mind. Illinois Football just tweeted this picture. There must have been some manufacturing reason they couldn't put the sublimated stripes on the front of the replicas.

bCLiXtD.jpg

Archived