College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

I'm starting to think Adidas just doesn't care about football anymore.

Oh, but somewhere in Nebraska, potential high school recruits are jumping up and down in excitement over those new uniforms.
Except Nebraska doesn't target Nebraskan high schoolers for recruiting purposes (with the exception of walk-ons).
Really? I've got to think that at least a couple of the SIXTY ONE kids from Nebraska who are on the Huskers' current roster are on scholarship.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/roster/NEB/nebraska-cornhuskers

Only a few. Nebraska historically actively pursues the top 2 or 3 players in the state if they're good enough, but otherwise everyone's a walk on.

Look at this year's recruiting stats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team . 2 Scholarship players from Lincoln, one from a distant Omaha suburb, and the rest of the scholarships went to people from the rest of the country. Last year's class only had one Nebraskan scholarship recruit...another player from Lincoln.

That's not entirely accurate, however. A great example was Alex Henery, now the kicker for Philadelphia. He was a walk-on from Omaha but by his junior year (I believe, maybe senior) had earned a scholarship position. There's a quote that says, "Notre Dame had only one Rudy, but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every fall."

There are literally thousands of in-state kids who dream of nothing more than strapping it up with a big N on the side of their helmet. Maybe they make the practice squad, maybe they make the 2nd string, maybe they earn a full-blown schollie and a starting job. It's irrelevant to many of them, they just want the honor of playing for the pride of their home state.

I recall reading somewhere that on either the 1994 or 1995 national title team, Tom Osborne had something like 12 or 13 starters who were former walk-ons who had progressed through the ranks and earned a scholarship and a starting role. Sometimes those local kids just want it more than the big time Rivals and Scouts blue chips, and they wind up being better players in the long run.

To say that Nebraska doesn't pursue in-state kids is silly - they host dozens of local football camps and events. It's just that many times, they don't "require" a scholarship to commit. Call it shrewd recruiting, but when you've got an army of high school kids that will essentially play for free every year, you might as well recruit California, Texas and the south as Nebraska has always done.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "Don't Give Up the Ship" is a "reminder to the players that when they take the field, they are representing and playing for the USNA."

A reminder?? Is this marketing quip really necessary? Do Navy's football players forget what military academy they attend once they get in the lockerroom...? "Oh s***! What school do I go to?? Oh yeah! Navy! Thanks to this "Don't Give Up the Ship" tag, I remember now..."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's the same as bear down at Arizona. A mantra. They didn't explain it well.

Exactly - I understand it as a mantra, or as "battle cry" as Under Armour puts it. I have no problem with the saying. It's the stupid marketing behind it that makes me laugh.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The "Don't Give Up the Ship" is a "reminder to the players that when they take the field, they are representing and playing for the USNA."

A reminder?? Is this marketing quip really necessary? Do Navy's football players forget what military academy they attend once they get in the lockerroom...? "Oh s***! What school do I go to?? Oh yeah! Navy! Thanks to this "Don't Give Up the Ship" tag, I remember now..."

I know it has also been appropriated as one of the Navy's battle cries, but as a reminder, the ship in question was given up following a brief 15-minute action.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I like how they're honoring the 6 numbered fleets....only 5 of which actually have ships.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm starting to think Adidas just doesn't care about football anymore.

Oh, but somewhere in Nebraska, potential high school recruits are jumping up and down in excitement over those new uniforms.
Except Nebraska doesn't target Nebraskan high schoolers for recruiting purposes (with the exception of walk-ons).
Really? I've got to think that at least a couple of the SIXTY ONE kids from Nebraska who are on the Huskers' current roster are on scholarship.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/roster/NEB/nebraska-cornhuskers

Only a few. Nebraska historically actively pursues the top 2 or 3 players in the state if they're good enough, but otherwise everyone's a walk on.

Look at this year's recruiting stats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team . 2 Scholarship players from Lincoln, one from a distant Omaha suburb, and the rest of the scholarships went to people from the rest of the country. Last year's class only had one Nebraskan scholarship recruit...another player from Lincoln.

That's not entirely accurate, however. A great example was Alex Henery, now the kicker for Philadelphia. He was a walk-on from Omaha but by his junior year (I believe, maybe senior) had earned a scholarship position. There's a quote that says, "Notre Dame had only one Rudy, but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every fall."

There are literally thousands of in-state kids who dream of nothing more than strapping it up with a big N on the side of their helmet. Maybe they make the practice squad, maybe they make the 2nd string, maybe they earn a full-blown schollie and a starting job. It's irrelevant to many of them, they just want the honor of playing for the pride of their home state.

I recall reading somewhere that on either the 1994 or 1995 national title team, Tom Osborne had something like 12 or 13 starters who were former walk-ons who had progressed through the ranks and earned a scholarship and a starting role. Sometimes those local kids just want it more than the big time Rivals and Scouts blue chips, and they wind up being better players in the long run.

To say that Nebraska doesn't pursue in-state kids is silly - they host dozens of local football camps and events. It's just that many times, they don't "require" a scholarship to commit. Call it shrewd recruiting, but when you've got an army of high school kids that will essentially play for free every year, you might as well recruit California, Texas and the south as Nebraska has always done.

Yes, in the abstract Nebraska views the walk on program as very important. But they will not expend many resources on pursuing specific Nebraska high school players, and as the school views the program to be mostly self-sustaining, won't make branding decisions that are specifically designed to appeal to Nebraskan high schoolers and attract them to the program.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As far as monochrome goes, can we not consider all white mono? Auburn goes all white on the road, and it has plenty of color to keep it from being a StormTrooper look (which many Auburn people call it, and I think it's wrong). Oregon's all white/silver is StormTrooper to me. But I think of monochrome being all color. All non-white color to be exact. Am I the only one that feels that way here?

Well, I don't consider all white to be a monochrome uniform either. And from a technical standpoint we're absolutely correct. Monochrome means "one color" (mono = one, chrome = color,), and as I'm constantly explaining to students, white is not a color, since it exists outside the visible spectrum. So, technically, an all white uniform would be called achromatic. That's also why there are no monochrome baseball uniforms... gray isn't a color either.

Its all just short hand speak, anyway. There's one particular poster who, every once in a while, jumps in to "correct" someone for calling a uniform monochrome when it has matching jersey and pants, but a different color helmet. But I think, for the majority of us, that is what we would call monochrome. Whenever the jersey and pants are the same non-white color, that's monochrome in basic CCSL-speak. It's just easier than saying, "I hate it when the jersey and pants are the same dark color." Monochrome uniforms with a non-matching helmet, like Miami's, are considerably nicer to me than monochrome uniforms with a full match, like Boise. (You know, its not like you can look it up in some "sports term dictionary"... it really just means whatever you think it means. For me it means two things. One, a uniform in which a dark colored jersey matches a dark colored pant, and two, a uniform that I probably will dislike.)

As far as monochrome goes, can we not consider all white mono? Auburn goes all white on the road, and it has plenty of color to keep it from being a StormTrooper look (which many Auburn people call it, and I think it's wrong). Oregon's all white/silver is StormTrooper to me. But I think of monochrome being all color. All non-white color to be exact. Am I the only one that feels that way here?

Well, I don't consider all white to be a monochrome uniform either. And from a technical standpoint we're absolutely correct. Monochrome means "one color" (mono = one, chrome = color,), and as I'm constantly explaining to students, white is not a color, since it exists outside the visible spectrum. So, technically, an all white uniform would be called achromatic. That's also why there are no monochrome baseball uniforms... gray isn't a color either.

Its all just short hand speak, anyway. There's one particular poster who, every once in a while, jumps in to "correct" someone for calling a uniform monochrome when it has matching jersey and pants, but a different color helmet. But I think, for the majority of us, that is what we would call monochrome. Whenever the jersey and pants are the same non-white color, that's monochrome in basic CCSL-speak. It's just easier than saying, "I hate it when the jersey and pants are the same dark color." Monochrome uniforms with a non-matching helmet, like Miami's, are considerably nicer to me than monochrome uniforms with a full match, like Boise. (You know, its not like you can look it up in some "sports term dictionary"... it really just means whatever you think it means. For me it means two things. One, a uniform in which a dark colored jersey matches a dark colored pant, and two, a uniform that I probably will dislike.)

You can post my name as I will not get offended and I do believe that it is not monochrome unless the helmet, jersey and pants are the same color. Now all-white may not be monochrome and OldSchool may be right about calling it achromatic. But when I say monochrome I am only talking about the dark colors.

This is Monochrome:

65826081.jpg

This is NOT monochrome:

6636424.jpg

spacer.png

So we have the Jordan Brand "JumpMan" logo, and the FlyWire "Nikelace" collar. I'm pretty sure we can come up with something for "completely monochrome" and "everything minus the helmet monochrome." Achromatic can refer to anything that isn't mono, not just one aspect being differently colored.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

So we have the Jordan Brand "JumpMan" logo, and the FlyWire "Nikelace" collar. I'm pretty sure we can come up with something for "completely monochrome" and "everything minus the helmet monochrome." Achromatic can refer to anything that isn't mono, not just one aspect being differently colored.

Trust me when I say that me and OldSchool will never agree on this topic.

spacer.png

Pretty sure jump man is an official name for the logo and I've never heard anyone call fly wire nike lace

Pretty sure jump man is an official name for the logo and I've never heard anyone call fly wire nike lace

Correct, just like Griffey's Swingman logo, and Lebron's Dunkman logo

Correct, just like Griffey's Swingman logo, and Lebron's Dunkman logo

Nikelace is apparently just what UniWatch coined.

ojNNazQ.jpg

Nike is also selling the retail versions of the mach speed template. Looks less cluttered than the real on-field version, which I can dig.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/football-limited-ohio-state-jersey/pid-1547858/pgid-1547859

It also doesn't have the zipper down the middle...

It appears Michigan has replaced the "Michigan" Bumper on the helmet to a much more simpler block "M"

Old

Jeremy-Gallon.jpg

New

10578513_882457131788622_187125022_n.jpg

I like that. But does the sweatshirt look like it also has the tire tread design on it?

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived