College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the top Nike schools have fairly unique looks in uniforms and fonts. Adidas puts out their one new template and puts their top teams in it. They don't have any unique looks for the most part. Football teams have a couple unique looks but on the whole it's an adidas three stripes design that everyone else wears.

A&M's Adidas contract is up after this year as well. They will need to pony up big bucks or risk losing another school. The blatant copy & paste template that Adidas uses for all sports is very annoying.

Who's going to pay more for A&M than adidas? UA, maybe, but Nike sure isn't.

A&M's Adidas contract is up after this year as well. They will need to pony up big bucks or risk losing another school. The blatant copy & paste template that Adidas uses for all sports is very annoying.

Who's going to pay more for A&M than adidas? UA, maybe, but Nike sure isn't.

I've heard UA has made a pretty big cash offer. A&M averaged 5.26 Million viewers/week for its televised games last season. Only alabama had more people tune in to watch its games. Sure you can say, Johnny Manziel was the reason for the ratings, but with the recruiting that Sumlin is doing who is to say that another superstar isn't on the A&M roster next fall? The A&M brand is at an all time high, so I'm sure all 3 will be making a push to get their logo slapped on the football team's uniforms.

Looks like the Chrome craze has just hit HBCU football. I'm not suprised that FAMU would go that route, (It's about time they did). But seriously, the Stormtrooper one looks the most decent. Plus, decals can be changed at any point of the season.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

All the top Nike schools have fairly unique looks in uniforms and fonts. Adidas puts out their one new template and puts their top teams in it. They don't have any unique looks for the most part. Football teams have a couple unique looks but on the whole it's an adidas three stripes design that everyone else wears.

well, look at their list of clients. Nebraska, Notre Dame, UCLA. those schools are not looking for new and unique, at least not with their primary uniforms. A&M and MISS St were willing to do something special and adidas did a great job with them. (though A&M was more of a throwback). but they aren't at the top of the list for exposure.

i dont think Nike's top schools are completely unique either. Ohio State, Alabama, LSU. whos bigger than them? Oregon? thats 1 out of 4. i wouldnt put Oregon State or Oklahoma State or WV in the same tier as those others.

i honestly dont think adidas, UA, and Nike are that different from each other. they all grade out about the same IMO

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Adidas is guilty of template copying more for basketball and baseball. UCLA seems to be their only client who wasn't forced to use the shoulder coloring in basketball this year. Football wise they tend to give the schools exactly what they ask for, but it may not please us uniform fan boys when the adidas football template is a super stretchy uniform that messes with most traditional stripes. Then when Adidas does try todo something new and exciting, its supplying every school with the same grey alt.

from a UTAD insider

UT tested Nike balls in practice during the Dooley era and found no real difference in our kickers between the Wilson balls we currently use and the Nike and Adidas balls we tested.

The UT contract with Adidas did not cover footballs. We weren't required to use theirs, we weren't forbidden from using Nike.

The new contract will not force UT to use Nike balls, either. After consulting with other Nike schools, it won't cover footballs, basketballs, baseball/softball bats or golf clubs and balls. We will be able to get all of those products at a substantial discount, but won't be obligated to use Nike's products in those areas.

Every Nike school gives up certain elements of control and agrees to participate in certain uniform programs and unveilings. They discontinued the "Pro Combat" program a couple of years ago, but sometimes 3-4 schools will debut a new stock uniform cut with a special uniform. We'll do that if asked.

Nike just unveiled a bunch of college basketball throwbacks that will be worn my schools in February. We would be obligated to do something like that as well.

As far as the standard, usual football uniform, we will maintain design control of that. Don't expect changes there.

But for alternates, there won't be a long-term back and forth on the design like we had with Adidas. They'll hand us an alternate and tell us when we're wearing it.

Men's and women's basketball will get reasonably cool custom uniforms every year, we'll work with designers on those.

As for other sports, our teams will wear whatever standard template Nike rolls out each year, like most of their schools.

I've been strongly hinting at the possibility of a change since we started talking to other companies this summer. Thought we would have to take less money to do it. I still believe that is the case, but Nike made it a lot closer this time around than in previous negotiations. Close enough that we jumped.

If what I was just told is true, then Nike came back back recently with an offer that far surpasses anything they had ever presented to us before and will put us in the top 5-7 contracts in the country.

I said for years I'd be stunned if that happened and we would have to take less to change. I think I'm officially stunned.

If the terms I was just given are true, then Dave Hart is some kind of wizard. In a very good way.

The current contract with Adidas runs though June 2015.

Because of production times and orders already in production for the upcoming seasons, they do these a year in advance.

Archived