College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

Expect Kent State to add a memorial sticker after their center passed away

For those teams jumbing on the "number on one side of the helmet" train, STOP IT.

Unless everyone on the team is wearing the same number for the above reason. Which is another reason I wish teams would stop doing it "just because". It's not as special for a team to use this method to memorialize their teammate. Sure, there are other ways to show support to a fallen comrade, but this is a big one.

uhh... All he said was a memorial sticker... Not a number on the side of the helmet...

Uhh, I believe he was combining that news with the recent pages full of conversation about the helmet design trend. No big deal.

^ Correct. Several pages ago it was discussed about Tulane players all wearing the number 18 on their helmets to support a teammate in a previous season. I really liked that idea. Now it seems to be the "trend" for a lot of teams. I fear it may take away the message it sends for a team that does it specifically for a cause. IMO.

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a thought. Since Pitt's uniforms are of a similar design to their classic 80s set, it would be a nice little treat if they chose to wear the classic script decal on the helmets for homecoming.

AMEN.

Here's a thought. Since Pitt's uniforms are of a similar design to their classic 80s set, it would be a nice little treat if they chose to wear the classic script decal on the helmets for homecoming.

Or throughout the entire season :)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'd look for a hold sticker like they did for Don James. Coach Haynes doesn't seem to be into anything fancy. They're almost like Penn State with gold

Kent State has a state outline with the players number on their Facebook. I'd expect that to be the logo they use.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Citadel will be wearing jersey with "Honor, Duty, Respect" on the nameplate this year, per UniWatch.

They were allowed a waiver since they are considered to be a military school

AR-140829964.jpg

more info here: http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140820/PC20/140829964/1177/citadels-honor-duty-respect-uniforms-meet-ncaa-rules

New tire treads for Eastern Washington as well:

BvgpVTNIEAEGzOt.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

My 8 year-old self is laughing at the fact that "Duty" has a stain on his butt.

My 30 year-old self is laughing, too.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The Citadel didn't get a waiver. It's in the rule book that only service academies can do that.

And Buffalo, quit making yourselves look like such a joke...

Technically it's a military college and not one of the 5 US service academies. Not sure how the ncaa views them though.

The Citadel didn't get a waiver. It's in the rule book that only service academies can do that.

Technically it's a military college and not one of the 5 US service academies. Not sure how the ncaa views them though.

Sorry about that, i read "exception" in the article and considered it as a waiver (I only considered Army, Navy & Air Force as the military academies)

From the article:

In the NCAA rulebook, Rule 1-4-5 says that other than the player's number, the jersey may contain only the player's name, school name, NCAA logo, sleeve stripes, the American and/or state flag and a logo for the school, conference, mascot, postseason game, memorial or the military.

The rule also states: "By interpretation, only military service academies may substitute words such as Honor, Integrity, etc., for the player's name on the back of the jersey ... civilian institutions may not substitute other words for the player's name."

For purposes of this rule, The Citadel is considered a military service academy, said Jack Childress, coordinator of officials for the Southern Conference.

"There have been a lot of questions about jerseys in recent years," said Childress, who checked with the NCAA on the matter Wednesday. "A lot of schools want to put slogans on the jerseys, like 'Rocky Top' at Tennessee, or something like 'Our House.' Schools are not allowed to put those on jerseys.

"An exception has been made for military schools to replace the names with traditional words like 'honor' and 'duty.' The Citadel is considered a military college."

The Citadel plans to wear the navy blue jerseys "once or twice" this season, coach Mike Houston said.

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

I understand the military academies are viewed differently and all, but I don't get the point of that rule. I think it would be different if the schools put the players branches on the nameplate, but those "encouraging" words (or whatever we want to call them) doesn't seem much different than "The Team" to me. What about a team like S. Carolina that put "Brave" and such when they did the Wounded Warrior stuff? How is that any different?

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. But am I the only one that sees it this way?

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I understand the military academies are viewed differently and all, but I don't get the point of that rule. I think it would be different if the schools put the players branches on the nameplate, but those "encouraging" words (or whatever we want to call them) doesn't seem much different than "The Team" to me. What about a team like S. Carolina that put "Brave" and such when they did the Wounded Warrior stuff? How is that any different?

Frankly it's all stupid rah rah nonsense. Keep it on the inside of the uni or on the base layer if you must. Most players by the time they hit age 20 get over all of the motivational crap because it's been beaten out of them. At that point they realize they're just playing a game either for themselves or their buddies on their team with the remaining others trying to make it to the next level at all costs. Even the service academies probably get burned out on all of the sloganeering throughout their daily lives I'm sure they're desensitized to it.

Sorry about that, i read "exception" in the article and considered it as a waiver (I only considered Army, Navy & Air Force as the military academies)

From the article:

In the NCAA rulebook, Rule 1-4-5 says that other than the player's number, the jersey may contain only the player's name, school name, NCAA logo, sleeve stripes, the American and/or state flag and a logo for the school, conference, mascot, postseason game, memorial or the military.

The rule also states: "By interpretation, only military service academies may substitute words such as Honor, Integrity, etc., for the player's name on the back of the jersey ... civilian institutions may not substitute other words for the player's name."

For purposes of this rule, The Citadel is considered a military service academy, said Jack Childress, coordinator of officials for the Southern Conference.

"There have been a lot of questions about jerseys in recent years," said Childress, who checked with the NCAA on the matter Wednesday. "A lot of schools want to put slogans on the jerseys, like 'Rocky Top' at Tennessee, or something like 'Our House.' Schools are not allowed to put those on jerseys.

"An exception has been made for military schools to replace the names with traditional words like 'honor' and 'duty.' The Citadel is considered a military college."

The Citadel plans to wear the navy blue jerseys "once or twice" this season, coach Mike Houston said.

If thats the case with the slogan thing why can miss state use hail state across their chest?

I wonder if they get an exemption because the jerseys and helmets benefit a military support organization.

If thats the case with the slogan thing why can miss state use hail state/#hail state across their chest?

This is the reason the NCAA came up with the rule. They wouldn't allow them to do it for basketball, though the big culprit was the "Sic 'Em" Baylor jerseys. Too bad they didn't enforce it for all sports.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Buffalo needs to decided what they want people to call them already. Officially change the school name through the state legislature or leave your identity alone.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

Archived