College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

umassdirimg.jpg

Apparently UMass' entry into D1 (or whatever they're calling it now) means a manufactured "rivalry" with BC. I understand it from a marketing standpoint, but from a football standpoint, it makes zero sense. There's nothing competitive about it- one team is arguably one of the worst in the country (if not the ​worst) , and one is just kinda there, with occasional spots of brilliance every few years, nevermind the fact that there is absolutely no history between the two.

There's history in other sports, just not football. I have no problem with the only two FBS schools in the state playing each other and trying to create some fun.

Other states have intra-state rivalries amongst its schools, why should Massachusetts be any different? UMass used to have a rivalry with UConn, but that fizzled out when UConn moved up to the FBS while UMass stayed down in FBS. UMass' biggest in-state rival at that time ended up being Holy Cross. And now that UMass is in the FBS, why not try to form a rivalry with another local FBS team?

By marketing this game, UMass can try to increase its exposure, and improve recruiting. They play in a mid-major conference that's getting more tv time and media coverage. Eventually, they'll put together some 5- and 6-win seasons, and be able to compete with BC, which at this point, is no better than a 5- or 6-win team in the highly competitive ACC.

WVU was in the same position with Marshall. They're the only two top-flight college programs in the state and have no real prior history from before the 1990s when Marshall came up from I-AA. Before WVU went to the Big XII, they played in the weaker Big East and therefore had a better shot at running or at least winning the conference annually, which meant a trip to the BCS and a shot at national title consideration (though the only year that actually happened was 2007 and Pitt saw to that). But non-conference games were always a sticking point in the national title conversation because of strength of schedule. The Friends of Coal bowl was an agreed-upon series, pushed hard by then governor Joe Manchin, to "create" a rivalry between WVU and Marshall. Most WVU fans did not appreciate it because it offered WVU nothing in terms of win-value. If WVU beat Marshall (which they have in every meeting between the two schools), it was just WVU winning a game that they were expected to win easily. If WVU were to ever lose to Marshall, it would mean the end of any shot at national title consideration or any New Year's Day bowl games outside of winning the Big East and getting that BCS slot because they were upset by a team that was viewed nationally as inferior.

I can see why Andrew would feel the way he does. UMass has no history at the FBS level and is arguably the worst team out of 120ish schools. At least by the time the Friends of Coal Bowl series was established, Marshall had a tradition of making it to some and winning some bowl games, as well as having a season in which they finished undefeated and had a top-10 ranking. They had a track record of being successful, albeit short. So while it still wasn't something that WVU fans generally liked or wanted, that series of games was at least a little more respectable as a "rivalry" in that Marshall was/is good enough to play with and perhaps beat WVU.

Are they rivals in basketball or baseball (or perhaps a more "northeastern" kind of sport like rowing)? I can certainly see the merits of wanting the two FBS schools in the state to play each other. It's a boon for the state. But I think that the word "rivalry" should be used when there actually is one.

umassdirimg.jpg

Apparently UMass' entry into D1 (or whatever they're calling it now) means a manufactured "rivalry" with BC. I understand it from a marketing standpoint, but from a football standpoint, it makes zero sense. There's nothing competitive about it- one team is arguably one of the worst in the country (if not the ​worst) , and one is just kinda there, with occasional spots of brilliance every few years, nevermind the fact that there is absolutely no history between the two.

There's history in other sports, just not football. I have no problem with the only two FBS schools in the state playing each other and trying to create some fun.

Other states have intra-state rivalries amongst its schools, why should Massachusetts be any different? UMass used to have a rivalry with UConn, but that fizzled out when UConn moved up to the FBS while UMass stayed down in FBS. UMass' biggest in-state rival at that time ended up being Holy Cross. And now that UMass is in the FBS, why not try to form a rivalry with another local FBS team?

By marketing this game, UMass can try to increase its exposure, and improve recruiting. They play in a mid-major conference that's getting more tv time and media coverage. Eventually, they'll put together some 5- and 6-win seasons, and be able to compete with BC, which at this point, is no better than a 5- or 6-win team in the highly competitive ACC.

WVU was in the same position with Marshall. They're the only two top-flight college programs in the state and have no real prior history from before the 1990s when Marshall came up from I-AA. Before WVU went to the Big XII, they played in the weaker Big East and therefore had a better shot at running or at least winning the conference annually, which meant a trip to the BCS and a shot at national title consideration (though the only year that actually happened was 2007 and Pitt saw to that). But non-conference games were always a sticking point in the national title conversation because of strength of schedule. The Friends of Coal bowl was an agreed-upon series, pushed hard by then governor Joe Manchin, to "create" a rivalry between WVU and Marshall. Most WVU fans did not appreciate it because it offered WVU nothing in terms of win-value. If WVU beat Marshall (which they have in every meeting between the two schools), it was just WVU winning a game that they were expected to win easily. If WVU were to ever lose to Marshall, it would mean the end of any shot at national title consideration or any New Year's Day bowl games outside of winning the Big East and getting that BCS slot because they were upset by a team that was viewed nationally as inferior.

I can see why Andrew would feel the way he does. UMass has no history at the FBS level and is arguably the worst team out of 120ish schools. At least by the time the Friends of Coal Bowl series was established, Marshall had a tradition of making it to some and winning some bowl games, as well as having a season in which they finished undefeated and had a top-10 ranking. They had a track record of being successful, albeit short. So while it still wasn't something that WVU fans generally liked or wanted, that series of games was at least a little more respectable as a "rivalry" in that Marshall was/is good enough to play with and perhaps beat WVU.

Are they rivals in basketball or baseball (or perhaps a more "northeastern" kind of sport like rowing)? I can certainly see the merits of wanting the two FBS schools in the state to play each other. It's a boon for the state. But I think that the word "rivalry" should be used when there actually is one.

Friends of Coal? Man does WV have anything else positive going for it other than being a source of cheap, dirty and environmentally contaminating energy? Think it's time for the state to rebrand as something other than one giant strip mining operation.

Friends of Coal? Man does WV have anything else positive going for it other than being a source of cheap, dirty and environmentally contaminating energy? Think it's time for the state to rebrand as something other than one giant strip mining operation.

Probably not. According to the NMA, Wyoming produces 4x as much coal. West Virginia can't even win the thing they're supposed to be known for.

http://www.nma.org/pdf/c_production_state_rank.pdf

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Probably not. According to the NMA, Wyoming produces 4x as much coal. West Virginia can't even win the thing they're supposed to be known for.

http://www.nma.org/pdf/c_production_state_rank.pdf

I guess drinking all of that contaminated water will break your spirit over time. Too bad I've heard WV really has some natural beauty that could be tapped for less toxic activities like tourism.

Dayton Flyers new helmet.rp_primary_Helments.gif

Boy is that plain.

And look where the sticker is-way low because of that ugly slot. If you have to design a helmet around stuff like that, they are better off having to go with the new "D" logo.

was thinking the same thing. i dont mind the simplicity at all, but the word mark dosent work here, its too wide and gets crowded by the vent and facemask. the winged-D logo would work just fine.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Boy is that plain.

And look where the sticker is-way low because of that ugly slot. If you have to design a helmet around stuff like that, they are better off having to go with the new "D" logo.

Agreed. Man that's boring....and I don't mind plain helmets. Go with the Flying "D" logo.

gYH2mW9.png

They're both in Hockey East, although BC's rival tends to be BU, or other schools in the Beanpot. They play basketball every year, and have for the most part since the late 90s.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Boy is that plain.

Agreed. Man that's boring....and I don't mind plain helmets. Go with the Flying "D" logo.

Nothing flying about that!

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

Archived