College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

I've been hearing disturbing rumors about Illinois's new uniforms. Multiple sources, including a recruit have described the new uniforms as having a "jungle" theme. I have no idea what that could mean since the schools nickname or history have nothing to do with a jungle. The only thing I can think of is that some type of camo pattern was mistaken for a "jungle" theme. The nickname Fighting Illini started as a way to honor alumni and students who fought in WWI.

This is a guess but perhaps they meant something like this helmet concept from last year?

8F7A97FC-6374-4ADA-B9AA-B89E8C84BBB9-737

I don't see a jungle theme when I see that helmet. It's a Native American theme.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hearing disturbing rumors about Illinois's new uniforms. Multiple sources, including a recruit have described the new uniforms as having a "jungle" theme. I have no idea what that could mean since the schools nickname or history have nothing to do with a jungle. The only thing I can think of is that some type of camo pattern was mistaken for a "jungle" theme. The nickname Fighting Illini started as a way to honor alumni and students who fought in WWI.

This is a guess but perhaps they meant something like this helmet concept from last year?8F7A97FC-6374-4ADA-B9AA-B89E8C84BBB9-737

I don't see a jungle theme when I see that helmet. It's a Native American theme.

Just guessing because I have no clue whatsoever how you mix a Native American name and a jungle theme.

This is a guess but perhaps they meant something like this helmet concept from last year?8F7A97FC-6374-4ADA-B9AA-B89E8C84BBB9-737

Just guessing because I have no clue whatsoever how you mix a Native American name and a jungle theme.
Which is why I'm confused as well. I'm hoping the rumors are wrong.

Or a recruit is confused about the pattern shown above. Also another possibility.

Yeah, my belief (or maybe just hope) is that there was some confusion by the person who has seen stuff (which could even just have been an unused design) which got told to the person who leaked it and that person passed it off as fact. I was very worried when I first heard that though.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

This is a guess but perhaps they meant something like this helmet concept from last year?

8F7A97FC-6374-4ADA-B9AA-B89E8C84BBB9-737

I like the pattern. Seems in keeping with the mascot without being objectionable. At least that's my take.

Our Sr. Associate AD has been out at Nike the last two days doing some stuff in preparation for our uniform reveal in April. He tweeted this out which has me a little nervous.

@mikewaddellUA: What we've been working on w/ @Nike for last 18 months is more than just unis, it's consistency in all graphics http://t.co/xfSuElwKI9

I really hope Nike doesn't try to mess with our Hog.

The jungle book..?

Our Sr. Associate AD has been out at Nike the last two days doing some stuff in preparation for our uniform reveal in April. He tweeted this out which has me a little nervous.

@mikewaddellUA: What we've been working on w/ @Nike for last 18 months is more than just unis, it's consistency in all graphics http://t.co/xfSuElwKI9

I know that the Hog is almost a classic now but doesn't it look outdated to you? I think it could use some tweaks.

Apparently, Illinois missed the "avoid jungle" memo because their new slogan is, "If it bleeds, we can kill it."

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I wouldn't be worried about that. It sounds more like the creation of a new wordmark and/or font.

And there is this: http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/2/19/5427396/are-the-arkansas-razorbacks-changing-their-official-shade-of-red

Bg5KBpMIgAAxYQn.jpg

Are these the new uuniforms, there is no chest piping on the ones in the background

Not sure if they grey or green but its not the same as the smoke grey ones either

1hE8m7.Em.56.jpeg

I wouldn't be worried about that. It sounds more like the creation of a new wordmark and/or font.

And there is this: http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/2/19/5427396/are-the-arkansas-razorbacks-changing-their-official-shade-of-red

I like Arkansas's current font

Posted on Uniwatch was a shot of a Penn State jersey that showed that the contrasting collar / cuff may be returning. No confirmation though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Posted on Uniwatch was a shot of a Penn State jersey that showed that the contrasting collar / cuff may be returning. No confirmation though.

Good bring back helmet numbers too

I like the contrasting collar. Without it, the jersey just looks TOO plain - even for PSU. The constrating collar (and cuffs) make it stand out ever-so-slightly from just a random practice jersey you picked up at Dick's Sporting Goods.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Yeah I was going back and forth with Waddell on twitter last night about that. Apparently the coloring they are going to be matching everything else with is the current jersey color. A lot of our apparel that is sold is a bit brighter than our jerseys. He did say that the jersey color and helmet color would not be altered. I know a lot of our fans are freaking out today because they think we are going to change to maroon but that's not the case.

Archived