College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

Speaking of white/cream helmets, Kentucky and Cincinnati's matte white helmets looked cream to me. Didn't match their white tops (and bottoms for that) to my eyes.

I'm no expert but I'd guess it has something to do with the matte paint absorbing more of the yellow light from the stadium lights rather than reflecting it like a glossy paint would.

It's definitely the stadium lighting that causes the cream effect on white helmets at night. Glossy helmets have had this problem for years, and I guess matte helmets have that problem too. You can see here the white Penn State helmet reflects the stadium lighting differently than the jerseys:

1460840_c.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except with Oregon, they have certain design elements that are readily identifiable (helmet wings, shoulder wings) that are pretty consistent throughout their uniform set. It's not like they have a bunch of one-off elements that share no commonality with one another, unlike what a lot of other schools are doing with their uniforms. When it comes to uniforms, people still look to Oregon as the standard bearer for new uniforms, even if they don't seem to be as crazy or edgy as they used to be since everyone has copied in one way or another the manner in which uniforms are unveiled and designed.

When they randomly mix colors like black/dark and light green/gray/silver/yellow without any sense of color pairing and balance it kills the design aesthetic. Some of their combos are amazing whilst some are pure ugly. The feather & wing is an excellent design in the abstract but the execution at times is seriously lacking.

And you're arguing over color combinations and execution when the original discussion was about whether Oregon had an identifiable brand. While you don't like a few color combinations (like I don't), that doesn't mean their brand is gone since they still have a wing design element on the jerseys, wings and chrome on the helmets, and the Oregon O on the back of the helmets to identify themselves.

Where did I insinuate that "their brand is gone"?

This is just an observation over the first few weeks of the season. I follow college football and would be considering a fan of it, but flipping channels trying to see what games were on, 3/4 of the time I had no idea who was playing at first glance. All these uniforms dilute the brand, and for anyone who says that Oregon's brand hasn't been diluted, it has. Oregon's knack for changing, a few years ago, was the talk of the college football world as they screamed "look at us". Now, they are just one of a hundred different programs that pulls out a new uniform combination each week. Oregon's brand was to be different and edgey, and now they are normal and their brand is common and no one pays attention to what they do.

Good thing at second glace you could read the on screen score box and see who's playing.

Come on guys it's not THAT bad out there. You can tell without stressing too hard who is who. It's not like Minnesota comes out dressed in Maze and Blue or Oregon is wearing Orange and White.

We should rename the thread to 'college football 2014 season COMPLAINTS'

He has a valid complaint.

When Maryland looks like this, I second guess myself.

Maryland-Star-Spangled-Front.jpg

Notre Dame, ditto.

ncaa-football-purdue-notre-dame7.jpg

Arkansas in gray?

arkansas-razorbacks-nike-anthracite-2013

Arizona State in this?

asucopper1.jpg

Green and gold Baylor wearing solid black.

1383884272000-USP-NCAA-Football-Oklahoma

Miami OH in the electric bowling ball look.

mia-13-whiteredold-1-675x380.jpg

Virginia Tech going digital orange camo, or team catalog gray, or Home Depot stone tiling...

Virginia-Tech-Camo-Uniforms-2013-1.jpg

All identity is lost in college football these days. There is little to no brand equity when the look changes continuously. At least Oregon is consistent week to week and has a cohesive identity. However, these schools that throw in one-off and team catalog blackout sets in addition to deciding which of their five helmets plus eight differently finished facemasks and stripe applications totally dilute their brand. It's garbage.

I'd say that out of all of these, Notre Dame looks the most like themselves.
That's funny...I thought they looked like Pitt.

At least they're in school colors.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

This is just an observation over the first few weeks of the season. I follow college football and would be considering a fan of it, but flipping channels trying to see what games were on, 3/4 of the time I had no idea who was playing at first glance. All these uniforms dilute the brand, and for anyone who says that Oregon's brand hasn't been diluted, it has. Oregon's knack for changing, a few years ago, was the talk of the college football world as they screamed "look at us". Now, they are just one of a hundred different programs that pulls out a new uniform combination each week. Oregon's brand was to be different and edgey, and now they are normal and their brand is common and no one pays attention to what they do.

Good thing at second glace you could read the on screen score box and see who's playing.

Come on guys it's not THAT bad out there. You can tell without stressing too hard who is who. It's not like Minnesota comes out dressed in Maze and Blue or Oregon is wearing Orange and White.

We should rename the thread to 'college football 2014 season COMPLAINTS'

He has a valid complaint.

When Maryland looks like this, I second guess myself.

Maryland-Star-Spangled-Front.jpg

Notre Dame, ditto.

ncaa-football-purdue-notre-dame7.jpg

Arkansas in gray?

arkansas-razorbacks-nike-anthracite-2013

Arizona State in this?

asucopper1.jpg

Green and gold Baylor wearing solid black.

1383884272000-USP-NCAA-Football-Oklahoma

Miami OH in the electric bowling ball look.

mia-13-whiteredold-1-675x380.jpg

Virginia Tech going digital orange camo, or team catalog gray, or Home Depot stone tiling...

Virginia-Tech-Camo-Uniforms-2013-1.jpg

All identity is lost in college football these days. There is little to no brand equity when the look changes continuously. At least Oregon is consistent week to week and has a cohesive identity. However, these schools that throw in one-off and team catalog blackout sets in addition to deciding which of their five helmets plus eight differently finished facemasks and stripe applications totally dilute their brand. It's garbage.

I'd say that out of all of these, Notre Dame looks the most like themselves.
That's funny...I thought they looked like Pitt.

At least they're in school colors.
Agreed. The VT set is especially awful.

The more pictures I see of the Maryland set, the more I like the way those colors work together. The gimmicky stuff obviously doesn't have staying power but I think a solid look can be made from the colors on that set.

The more pictures I see of the Maryland set, the more I like the way those colors work together. The gimmicky stuff obviously doesn't have staying power but I think a solid look can be made from the colors on that set.

A buddy and I were talking about this at work. Dial back the red slightly and you have an AMAZING look that Navy could wear almost every week, IMO.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

A buddy and I were talking about this at work. Dial back the red slightly and you have an AMAZING look that Navy could wear almost every week, IMO.

Since Navy also encapsulates the Marine Corps you'd only have to add Navy and Marine Corps logos on the arms and add navy pants with stars or USNA insignia down the legs.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Arizona desperately needs white numbers....these look terrible

Bxh3XF8CUAAbc0h.jpg

"KING KONG! AIN'T. GOT. NOTHIN. ON. ME!"

And for you knuckleheads, it's because his stance is very simian-like. Not making any comments about color or race.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Bxh3XF8CUAAbc0h.jpg

And for you knuckleheads, it's because his stance is very simian-like. Not making any comments about color or race.

UGH. That area around the belt is just terrible. Whose idea was it to color them in?

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Bxh3XF8CUAAbc0h.jpg

UGH. That area around the belt is just terrible. Whose idea was it to color them in?

Why is the "1" so much thicker than the other digits for the nevada/miami font?

Wazzu is wearing these in practice this week...i hope their fans throw a fit

Bxiko80CQAAodGl.jpg

Why would their fans throw a fit? Im a Husky and I actually like these

They have a long history of silver/crimson helmets

ncaa rules require that all schools must have a white helmet in order to fit in with the rest of the crowd.

Looks like Texas A&M will be wearing an alternate uniform that throws back to 1939 for their game against Louisiana-Monroe on 11/1 in honor of the 75th anniversary of Texas A&M's last national title. Adidas tweeted this out.

Honor the past. Own the future. A tribute to the 1939 National Champion Aggies. 11/1/14. #GigEm #teamadidas

BxrtwAJCIAE-Mp8.jpg

Wazzu is wearing these in practice this week...i hope their fans throw a fit

Bxiko80CQAAodGl.jpg

Why would their fans throw a fit? Im a Husky and I actually like these

Because they're pretty terrible. Stick with the crimson and gray.

Duke is calling their game this weekend Throwback Day and they're wearing helmets like what they wore in 1989 when Spurrier coached them to the ACC title.

BxrHPqBIQAAKeWZ.jpg

One of the best helmets in 2014. Bring it back full time, Duke.

Since Navy also encapsulates the Marine Corps you'd only have to add Navy and Marine Corps logos on the arms and add navy pants with stars or USNA insignia down the legs.

army_2010_1211-2.jpg121110nt_armynavy017.jpg

Bxh3XF8CUAAbc0h.jpg

Why is the "1" so much thicker than the other digits for the nevada/miami font?

Our uniforms had that font in high school. The front numbers were fine but the sleeve numbers and especially the back numbers were terribly skewed out of proportion. A lot of the numbers looked really funky. But this isn't the case for Miami. Their numbers look fine. And others schools that had the Miami PC font with the bar in the middle and the tiger looking stripes I don't think had the same problem.

Archived