College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

any chance the NCAA ultimately steps in and says teams can only have so many uniforms and colors?

The NCAA doesn't want even more hate then it's getting, especially hate just for removing uniforms.

sorry, you lost me...what uniforms are they removing?

another thing I thought of after posting earlier was that I'm surprised the NCAA hasn't followed the NFL's lead and mandated that schools only use one helmet for fear of any concussion or CTE-related lawsuits down the road

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any chance the NCAA ultimately steps in and says teams can only have so many uniforms and colors?

The NCAA doesn't want even more hate then it's getting, especially hate just for removing uniforms.

another thing I thought of after posting earlier was that I'm surprised the NCAA hasn't followed the NFL's lead and mandated that schools only use one helmet for fear of any concussion or CTE-related lawsuits down the road

Actually individual schools consulted their appropriate legal and medical research and found zero risk. At best the nfl's policy is hyper-sensitive and overreaches, more likely it's a transparent sham gesture to appear like they are doing something.

Actually individual schools consulted their appropriate legal and medical research and found zero risk. At best the nfl's policy is hyper-sensitive and overreaches, more likely it's a transparent sham gesture to appear like they are doing something.

Exactly this

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Adidas strikes again

ByJHWltCYAAm3ha.png

What I want to know is who is the guy in the Adidas offices that saw the tire mark on all these jerseys and went "you know what, that looks great lets go with it." That guy, I hate.

Also, the helmet. man oh man Louisville why sign off on this stuff

What is on that helmet? Why does it add to this abomination? Stupid chrome logos and tire track templates. Screw you Adidas. I for the life of me, cannot see what's so attractive about the color gray. I just can't see why so many teams have to bust out a new gray alternate each week. I can see black with some teams, and it's dumb and really overused. But I just don't get it with the grey. What an absolute abomination. They deserve to lose if they even wear these damned things.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I mean I could take Oregon's uniforms if they could match their 4 shades of green on the same day... here's looking at their helmets last week.

This sounds like a critique in the Concepts Forum.

It's unfathomable to me that multi-million dollar Universities and billion-dollar firms like Nike can't get colors to match properly. I don't care how amazing the design was on the draft table, even the smallest execution errors will ruin it.

Precisely! I have always been amazed how someone at Nike accepted the new uniforms and thought they were good. Take the new jersey templates as an example. How someone accepted the sweat-stain jerseys should be fired as the boxes look nothing like the jersey when wet. For me, this is unacceptable coming from a company like Nike. You may love or hate Reebok, but when the NFL players sweated you didn't see the mismatched colors on their jerseys. Look at the following comparisons of the Detroit Lions: with Reebok and with Nike. Give me Reebok jerseys all day long. As for College Football, I prefer UA to Nike as well in terms of sweat stains.

The reason reebok was so consistent is that they relied almost entirely upon their contract manufacturer (primarily ripon) for jersey constrution and fabrics. Those templates were in used for about 20 years and the fabrics were readily available in a multitude of colors. The consistency from the 90's through the early 10's had little to nothing to do with reebok as a designer/manufacturer more their willingness to keep the status quo.

When nike decided to bring their proprietary moisture wicking and lighter fabric into football which changed everything. The dazzle/metallic-poly/nylon fabric blends disappeared and template construction changed dramatically. Ultimately adidas and ua followed nike's lead with creating their own fabric technology/designs which leaves us where we are. These companies and ultimately their clients have elected to value technology/function over aesthetics (color matching/sweat stains). Is that reflective of successful product development or successful marketing? That's the real debate.

Personally I have played in both old dazzly/big meshy, jerseys and a newer nike template (although it was one of the templates before PC templates so I can't speak on those specific templates) and I could tell you that the nike jerseys were way more comfortable and it wasn't even close. I will say though, the pants we had were in a really uncomfortable template, they were really shiny and just way too tight at the knees, I eventually slit the very bottom of mine. I could tell just by looking that their other pant options are far more comfortable.

West Virginia had a good thing going with their old font. It was distinctly theirs and definitely unique. All they needed was a semi update of that set and it would be solid.

Like this? (Shameless plug)

I do like your design a lot better than what they currently have. The font I meant was this one:

geno-smith-west-virginia.jpg

It's the same font, just not italicized. Kind of hard to tell from just two digits.

Another look at New Mexico's new unis set to debut this weekend

10660303_652978778149015_492865408960869

Maybe it's just the lighting, but the turquoise on the helmet looks much lighter than on turquoise on the jersey. Also, New Mexico should change their colors back to this full time. It's a unique color combo that no other NCAA school has and geographically the colors fit perfectly.

an "on the field" look at them

ByJlCDSIcAAoAMn.jpg

IMO, the helmet stripe, wordmark and numbers should be red outlined in turquoise instead of the other way around. It looks imbalanced right now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Maybe it's just the lighting, but the turquoise on the helmet looks much lighter than on turquoise on the jersey. Also, New Mexico should change their colors back to this full time. It's a unique color combo that no other NCAA school has and geographically the colors fit perfectly.

ByJlCDSIcAAoAMn.jpg

IMO, the helmet stripe, wordmark and numbers should be red outlined in turquoise instead of the other way around. It looks imbalanced right now.
I think the wordmark and numbers are fine, but I agree that the helmet stripe should be reversed. Then it would match the sleeve cuffs and provide some balance without minimizing the turquoise.

Nitpicking aside, it's a beautiful color scheme.

I don't mind if Louisville has alternate uniforms like the all-black combo, but this is an abomination. Louisville should've went to UA instead of sticking with Adidas at least UA has done an impressive job with the recent uniform updates (Maryland, Northwestern, Texas Tech).

I am a huge Sooner fan but I have to admit... Texas Tech has one of the best looking "Modern" uniforms in college football this year and in the last couple years.

Tech+GREY_UNIFORMS.jpg

This is how you execute a gray for gray sakes jersey.

ByJlCDSIcAAoAMn.jpg

I think the wordmark and numbers are fine, but I agree that the helmet stripe should be reversed. Then it would match the sleeve cuffs and provide some balance without minimizing the turquoise.

Nitpicking aside, it's a beautiful color scheme.

Maybe the helmet stripe but the rest in turquoise works great.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Any articles actually supporting this? Finding "zero" risk is almost unheard of, in any sport.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't mind if Louisville has alternate uniforms like the all-black combo, but this is an abomination. Louisville should've went to UA instead of sticking with Adidas at least UA has done an impressive job with the recent uniform updates (Maryland, Northwestern, Texas Tech).

I am a huge Sooner fan but I have to admit... Texas Tech has one of the best looking "Modern" uniforms in college football this year and in the last couple years.

Tech+GREY_UNIFORMS.jpg

This is how you execute a gray for gray sakes jersey.

Those were some of the worst unis in the country last year. You are called the RED Raiders, tend to wear a lot of BLACK, but you needed an all GREY uniform? And the helmets looked like primer on a 1973 Pinto. Just awful IMO. Unfortunately they wore them vs. my alma mater so I couldn't change channels.

Just curious. What's with New Mexico wearing turquoise. I remember some basketball teams wearing them too last year?

From what i understand, these are just for their upcoming homecoming game and a nod to the former colors they used to use forever ago. They also have a black jersey option that has red "digi-camo" numbers. I'm sure if the fans love these enough, they would move to these full time. I hope they make a few changes and include turquoise into the full set. Doubt these are the new full time unis as they are way too distinct to be home/away .

xnrokz.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Archived