College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

any chance the NCAA ultimately steps in and says teams can only have so many uniforms and colors?

The NCAA doesn't want even more hate then it's getting, especially hate just for removing uniforms.

sorry, you lost me...what uniforms are they removing?

another thing I thought of after posting earlier was that I'm surprised the NCAA hasn't followed the NFL's lead and mandated that schools only use one helmet for fear of any concussion or CTE-related lawsuits down the road

Actually individual schools consulted their appropriate legal and medical research and found zero risk. At best the nfl's policy is hyper-sensitive and overreaches, more likely it's a transparent sham gesture to appear like they are doing something.

Any articles actually supporting this? Finding "zero" risk is almost unheard of, in any sport.

Yes there are articles if you're willing to search. The best example was UNC, which happens to have its own concussion research program that works directly with the athletic department and football team. They have been gathering data for several years now and have done some pretty extensive research on the matter. I also know VT has a helmet testing program.

The reason for the conclusion of zero risk is that as long as a player is wearing a properly fitted helmet, the amount of helmets worn during a season is statistically irrelevant. There are also numerous examples of players being forced to switch helmets during a season due to breakage or other circumstances which pretty much renders the nfl's position as illogical.

As we've seen with the nfl, if there's anything that they are most consistent at, it's being logically inconsistent with their policies.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any chance the NCAA ultimately steps in and says teams can only have so many uniforms and colors?

The NCAA doesn't want even more hate then it's getting, especially hate just for removing uniforms.

another thing I thought of after posting earlier was that I'm surprised the NCAA hasn't followed the NFL's lead and mandated that schools only use one helmet for fear of any concussion or CTE-related lawsuits down the road

Actually individual schools consulted their appropriate legal and medical research and found zero risk. At best the nfl's policy is hyper-sensitive and overreaches, more likely it's a transparent sham gesture to appear like they are doing something.

Any articles actually supporting this? Finding "zero" risk is almost unheard of, in any sport.

Yes there are articles if you're willing to search. The best example was UNC, which happens to have its own concussion research program that works directly with the athletic department and football team. They have been gathering data for several years now and have done some pretty extensive research on the matter. I also know VT has a helmet testing program.

The reason for the conclusion of zero risk is that as long as a player is wearing a properly fitted helmet, the amount of helmets worn during a season is statistically irrelevant. There are also numerous examples of players being forced to switch helmets during a season due to breakage or other circumstances which pretty much renders the nfl's position as illogical.

As we've seen with the nfl, if there's anything that they are most consistent at, it's being logically inconsistent with their policies.

I did do a search. Nothing came up that said there was zero risk switching out helmets. Please be kind enough to list.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The previous Texas Tech uniforms were better:

6794565.jpeg

Sorry but those were crap. Though I don't think most people realize the intentional design behind the current unis they're at least still visually appealing and among the best modern uniforms of all time. But yes, we do need a red uniform in the rotation and no gray. That and the throwback set adopted permanently, and the entire set never has to change again.

Midway.png

Apparently, The Citadel will wear these beauts this weekend against Gardner Webb. Not sure if they are throwing back to the proper helmets from the time period or not.

Citadel19jersey_zpsab08af07.jpg

We should call UCLA's red phone and alert them that adidas does indeed have a template with proper shoulder stripes.

Though, after looking at it more, I'm not sure if that's an actual adidas template, or an off-brand template with adidas logos (ie, Ripon).

Apparently, The Citadel will wear these beauts this weekend against Gardner Webb. Not sure if they are throwing back to the proper helmets from the time period or not.

Citadel19jersey_zpsab08af07.jpg

We should call UCLA's red phone and alert them that adidas does indeed have a template with proper shoulder stripes.

Though, after looking at it more, I'm not sure if that's an actual adidas template, or an off-brand template with adidas logos (ie, Ripon).

It's just an old template that ucla likely wore in the late 90's/early 00's. It was the switch to techfit that changed the stripes beyoind recognition.

I did do a search. Nothing came up that said there was zero risk switching out helmets. Please be kind enough to list.

If you're doing a literal search for "zero risk" you may not find what you are looking for but the links below should get you started. If you want to get into the semantics over my statement over "zero risk" allow me to elaborate slightly:

• I'm going to rephrase "zero risk" to "no additional risk of statistical significance" which for practical purposes equates to zero in the real world.

How are they able to make such a conclusion? It's a pretty easy logical conclusion to draw:

• As far as controllable variables go, researchers found the most significant controllable variable in relation to concussion to be the fit of the helmet.
  • Individuals doing the headgear fitting are trained/certified and use approved best practices available.
  • As long as the player is properly fit with approved/certified headgear, they can effectively be fit with multiple helmets as long as the same process is repeated each time.
  • If the player is playing in any certified and properly fitted helmet over the course of a season they have effectively minimized their controllable variable as best they can (fit). Wearing 1 or 5 properly fitted helmets in a season will not measurably increase any risk of concussion.

I didn't find the exact article in the 5 minutes spent searching but here's the UNC equipment manager referring to the evaluation process via uniwatch. I think uw has more links embedded and there are better articles out there but that's for a later time.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9829911/uni-watch-explosion-college-football-helmets

Freeman (UNC): There's differing opinions [on using one helmet as opposed to using multiple helmets]. Until the NCAA steps in and says something or provides some research or a study, it's hard to say which way to go. Like I said, we use those concussion sensors in our helmets, and we're involved with all the concussion research they do here at UNC, so that's something we take very seriously. I think the NFL is doing what it thinks is in the best interests of its players. But until I see something that tells me otherwise, I feel comfortable with what we're doing. If I didn't, I'd voice my concern. Same goes for our athletic trainer.

Also here's the link to the UNC program and lead researcher:

http://endeavors.unc.edu/spr2008/football_concussions.php

http://tbicenter.unc.edu/MAG_Center/Home.html

Yes the equipment manager says there are differing opinions out there but at this point there is no data/empirical evidence that suggests anything contrary to UNC's position. The contrary opinions are just that, opinions. They are currently taking the lead in this field and I'm putting my money on them for the time being. Also if I have some more free time to burn I'll see what other articles that I can dig up.

If you want to buy into to the nfl and their corporate communications department's messaging in spite of their terrible track record of covering up the truth and commitment to junk science you're entitled to do so.

If you're doing a literal search for "zero risk" you may not find what you are looking for but the links below should get you started. If you want to get into the semantics over my statement over "zero risk" allow me to elaborate slightly:

• I'm going to rephrase "zero risk" to "no additional risk of statistical significance" which for practical purposes equates to zero in the real world.

How are they able to make such a conclusion? It's a pretty easy logical conclusion to draw:

• As far as controllable variables go, researchers found the most significant controllable variable in relation to concussion to be the fit of the helmet.
  • Individuals doing the headgear fitting are trained/certified and use approved best practices available.
  • As long as the player is properly fit with approved/certified headgear, they can effectively be fit with multiple helmets as long as the same process is repeated each time.
  • If the player is playing in any certified and properly fitted helmet over the course of a season they have effectively minimized their controllable variable as best they can (fit). Wearing 1 or 5 properly fitted helmets in a season will not measurably increase any risk of concussion.

I didn't find the exact article in the 5 minutes spent searching but here's the UNC equipment manager referring to the evaluation process via uniwatch. I think uw has more links embedded and there are better articles out there but that's for a later time.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9829911/uni-watch-explosion-college-football-helmets

Freeman (UNC): There's differing opinions [on using one helmet as opposed to using multiple helmets]. Until the NCAA steps in and says something or provides some research or a study, it's hard to say which way to go. Like I said, we use those concussion sensors in our helmets, and we're involved with all the concussion research they do here at UNC, so that's something we take very seriously. I think the NFL is doing what it thinks is in the best interests of its players. But until I see something that tells me otherwise, I feel comfortable with what we're doing. If I didn't, I'd voice my concern. Same goes for our athletic trainer.

Yes the equipment manager says there are differing opinions out there but at this point there is no data/empirical evidence that suggests anything contrary to UNC's position. The contrary opinions are just that, opinions. They are currently taking the lead in this field and I'm putting my money on them for the time being. Also if I have some more free time to burn I'll see what other articles that I can dig up.

If you want to buy into to the nfl and their corporate communications department's messaging in spite of their terrible track record of covering up the truth and commitment to junk science you're entitled to do so.

I didn't do a literal search for "zero risk". I conducted multiple searches with words like "helmet" and "concussion" and "North Carolina".

You kinda have a bad habit of making :censored: up in an effort to look "smart" (see: your history of Nike and Oregon rant, and your Jesus/Bronze Age meme). This sounded like one of those times.

Thanks, though, for providing links.

Who has the best solid white uniforms? I'm not really a fan of any solid whites. I know PSU is a classic though

I'd agree with Penn State, most likely.

Texas has done all-white for a long while, but honestly their road whites have too much white for my taste. PSU at least has contrasting cuffs and a helmet stripe.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I don't mind if Louisville has alternate uniforms like the all-black combo, but this is an abomination. Louisville should've went to UA instead of sticking with Adidas at least UA has done an impressive job with the recent uniform updates (Maryland, Northwestern, Texas Tech).

I am a huge Sooner fan but I have to admit... Texas Tech has one of the best looking "Modern" uniforms in college football this year and in the last couple years.

Tech+GREY_UNIFORMS.jpg

This is how you execute a gray for gray sakes jersey.

Those were some of the worst unis in the country last year. You are called the RED Raiders, tend to wear a lot of BLACK, but you needed an all GREY uniform? And the helmets looked like primer on a 1973 Pinto. Just awful IMO. Unfortunately they wore them vs. my alma mater so I couldn't change channels.
Am I the only one who finds the your called the COLOR teamname so you should wear the color that's in your name argument wrong. The Red Raiders look good in black the Green Wave needs more blue, the Yellow Jackets looked great in the Calvin Johnson era gold uniforms. As long as its on their uniforms and is part of the School colors the team name shouldn't matter.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I didn't do a literal search for "zero risk". I conducted multiple searches with words like "helmet" and "concussion" and "North Carolina".

You kinda have a bad habit of making :censored: up in an effort to look "smart" (see: your history of Nike and Oregon rant, and your Jesus/Bronze Age meme). This sounded like one of those times.

Thanks, though, for providing links.

For the most part I attempt to back up my statements with factual evidence and as you've pointed out there are times when I was too lazy to go back and validate, I misspoke. That's the joy of internet messageboards.

I don't mind if Louisville has alternate uniforms like the all-black combo, but this is an abomination. Louisville should've went to UA instead of sticking with Adidas at least UA has done an impressive job with the recent uniform updates (Maryland, Northwestern, Texas Tech).

I am a huge Sooner fan but I have to admit... Texas Tech has one of the best looking "Modern" uniforms in college football this year and in the last couple years.

Tech+GREY_UNIFORMS.jpg

Those were some of the worst unis in the country last year. You are called the RED Raiders, tend to wear a lot of BLACK, but you needed an all GREY uniform? And the helmets looked like primer on a 1973 Pinto. Just awful IMO. Unfortunately they wore them vs. my alma mater so I couldn't change channels.
Am I the only one who finds the your called the COLOR teamname so you should wear the color that's in your name argument wrong. The Red Raiders look good in black the Green Wave needs more blue, the Yellow Jackets looked great in the Calvin Johnson era gold uniforms. As long as its on their uniforms and is part of the School colors the team name shouldn't matter.

I generally agree with this as long as that color shows up on all the uniforms. Those GFGS Texas Tech unis have red stripes on each element along with red numbers; what more can you ask for?

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Who has the best solid white uniforms? I'm not really a fan of any solid whites. I know PSU is a classic though

Texas has done all-white for a long while, but honestly their road whites have too much white for my taste. PSU at least has contrasting cuffs and a helmet stripe.

I'd argue Texas's road uniforms are the best and that they've influenced many teams to go with the all-white, or whiteout, look as a result.

Penn State ditched the contrasting sleeves a few years ago. They look like a generic football team from a beer commercial.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Tech+GREY_UNIFORMS.jpg

Regardless of their name, I think this is the best gray set every worn on the field by any team.

spacer.png

Archived