College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't like the idea of Illinois wearing gray when it leaked in the summer, but it was worse yesterday than I was expecting. Depending on the TV, the gray looked too light to be worn against white. Wearing white helmets with all gray is always a bad idea. If they weren't going to buy gray helmets, they should have switched the decals on the blue helmets instead. It also looked half-assed since they kept the helmet stickers on the back which were orange and blue while only have gray decals and stripes on the helmet otherwise. The worst part of this is still the fact that they decided to wear one-off gray uniforms and won't have navy jerseys until next year. I'm still a big fan of the rebrand last spring, but going with gray football and basketball uniforms was a big mistake.

I could barely tell Illinois and Minnesota apart on my television. It was heinous.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

There were at least 3 white vs grey games Friday and Saturday. Boise - BYU on Friday, Illinois - Minnesota and Washington State - Arizona on Saturday.

At least Wazzu's grey is dark enough that Arizona could wear white. Minnesota should've worn their gold tops and BYU should've worn blue.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Oklahoma State's helmets today will have the old Oklahoma A&M logo on it.

B0z1v1ACEAAg8Nn.jpg

B0z21d8CEAADE-U.jpg

Did Wyoming change their colors? LOL. It's too similar to Wyoming's helmet logo. I'm also shocked Oklahoma St. finally figured out how to reverse a logo so that it's facing forward on both sides of the helmet. For some reason they still haven't figured out how to do this with their cowboy head logo.

It's funny with the Okie State - New Mexico State lawsuit over similar logos that OSU would change to another logo that's similar to another school...

They used that logo when they were Oklahoma A&M.

They didn't become OKSt until 1957.

From Wikipedia:

Prior to 1957, OSU was known as Oklahoma A&M. As was common with most land-grant schools, its teams were known for many years as Aggies. However, in 1923, A&M was looking for a new mascot to replace its pet tiger (the inspiration behind the school colors of orange and black). A group of students saw Frank Eaton leading the Armistice Day Parade. He was approached to see if he would be interested in being the model for the new mascot, and he agreed. The caricature, Pistol Pete, that was drawn that year is more or less the same as the one in use today.

The new mascot had become so popular that by 1924, Charles Saulsberry, sports editor of the Oklahoma City Times, began calling A&M's teams the Cowboys. "Aggies" and "Cowboys" were used interchangeably until A&M was elevated to university status in 1957.

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Arizona State in yellow/white/maroon looks really good - just a solid look. Washington needs to ditch the chrome helmets.

I agree. I tried to be open to the "new" UW look but they need to ditch it. They are a historic program that shouldn't try and be Oregon. Only Oregon is Oregon and trying to copy them is simply sad for UW. Go back to the solid, traditional uniform and hopefully the play on the field will eventually follow. You aren't new and fancy, hip. You are old traditional, like Alabama, Notre Dame, USC. Embrace that. Please.

apple_cup_1991.jpg

Amen!

Arizona State in yellow/white/maroon looks really good - just a solid look. Washington needs to ditch the chrome helmets.

I agree. I tried to be open to the "new" UW look but they need to ditch it. They are a historic program that shouldn't try and be Oregon. Only Oregon is Oregon and trying to copy them is simply sad for UW. Go back to the solid, traditional uniform and hopefully the play on the field will eventually follow. You aren't new and fancy, hip. You are old traditional, like Alabama, Notre Dame, USC. Embrace that. Please.

apple_cup_1991.jpg

Amen!

But if they don't have modern uniforms then no one will wanna go there! (Sarcasm of course)

apple_cup_1991.jpg

Exactly. Washington has as many or more Rose Bowl appearances than any other team except USC and Michigan. They sure don't dress like it.

And to think that their alumni were up in arms about these uniforms, which I think were one of the best early modernizations:

p1_cody_pickett_getty.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Tonight's Oregon uniforms:

B0v4taMCQAAlHmx.jpg

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of this look. The green looks so out of place with the rest of the uniform and I really dislike any combo that uses the gray pants.

How can a school color look "out of place"?

I get what he's saying. It should be the prime element but it looks out of place because it doesn't match the rest of the uniform.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Color on color alert! Georgia and Florida to each wear home uniforms (http://www.macon.com/2014/10/27/3387043/georgia-and-florida-to-each-wear.html).

I've always wanted to see this. Neutral side, great contrast with the red and blue. It falls dangerously close to Halloween, though, so there's some black vs. orange potential that would be far less enjoyable.

PJU85JF.png

Tonight's Oregon uniforms:

B0v4taMCQAAlHmx.jpg

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of this look. The green looks so out of place with the rest of the uniform and I really dislike any combo that uses the gray pants.

How can a school color look "out of place"?

I get what he's saying. It should be the prime element but it looks out of place because it doesn't match the rest of the uniform.

Exactly. The green number and shoulder accents just look odd being the only significant of sources of green when surrounded by all the gray, black, and silver. It seems Oregon no longer wants to use the 2 white jerseys they previously used since they've only used the Mach Speed template this season. Either one of those white jerseys would have worked better because of their inclusion of more black and silver elements.

I think the problem with Washington, as much as anything, is consistency in it's look from week to week. Gold helmets over purple jerseys over gold pants is Washington football. Yes the pants need stripes. Yes the black sleeves are unnecessary. But I don't think that the new look is awful. What would make the difference is if they'd simply wear this uniform full time at home, and then switch to white jerseys and keep the rest on the road. No white pants. No white helmets. No purple pants. No black anything.

cyler-miles-ncaa-football-eastern-washin

Frankly, that's the issue with most of college football right now when it comes to uniforms: it's not that the modern uniforms are bad in many cases. It's that teams don't use any one look consistently. Most teams that have modern looks have three options for each of the the three main elements. An alternate once a year is fine. But mix and match every week is too much.

Archived