buckeye

College Football 2014 Season

I think the problem with Washington, as much as anything, is consistency in it's look from week to week. Gold helmets over purple jerseys over gold pants is Washington football. Yes the pants need stripes. Yes the black sleeves are unnecessary. But I don't think that the new look is awful. What would make the difference is if they'd simply wear this uniform full time at home, and then switch to white jerseys and keep the rest on the road. No white pants. No white helmets. No purple pants. No black anything.

cyler-miles-ncaa-football-eastern-washin

Frankly, that's the issue with most of college football right now when it comes to uniforms: it's not that the modern uniforms are bad in many cases. It's that teams don't use any one look consistently. Most teams that have modern looks have three options for each of the the three main elements. An alternate once a year is fine. But mix and match every week is too much.

I totally agree with this, and it's my biggest problem with Nike (who I usually like) right now. The mix-and-match fad is bad for brand identity, but I think I can survive witnessing it for a few years, before teams hopefully realize the mistake they've made. As a UDub fan born at the start of the 90s, though, my memories of the team are as much the purple and gold as the BFBS. For some reason BFBS seems to work for them more than other teams; for example, when I picture Keith Price I usually picture him in black.

To continue the thought: this is something I've thought about a lot with WVU since they got their new look last year. Since they removed the stripes up and down the sides of the jerseys, I feel like the current look is a better successor to the 80s and 90s look. But that only works if that consistency principle is applied.

Major-Harris16.jpg

With the helmet logos, sleeve logos, and pants stripes mostly obscured, I wondered if these were Michigan practice unis at first. I think going in this direction would be as bad as the LSU direction they went in the other night.

After seeing that Oklahoma State sleeve stripe, I couldn't help but think that it would make a great sleeve stripe for West Virginia with a little tinkering.

wvSLEEVE_zps11f177e3.jpg

!! This is a fantastic idea, and not just because I love OK State's sleeve stripes.

A few more previews of the throwbacks A&M is wearing on Saturday. This is definitely the first time I've seen this helmet treatment.

As an A&M fan, I am embarrassed to see them put so much emphasis on uniforms, the way they've been playing.

A few more previews of the throwbacks A&M is wearing on Saturday. This is definitely the first time I've seen this helmet treatment.

As an A&M fan, I am embarrassed to see them put so much emphasis on uniforms, the way they've been playing.

From a perception standpoint, I agree. But all of these uniform ideas were done over the summer, if not earlier. It's not like the coaches and players are taking time off practice to make uniforms.

I think their number set has two fundamental problems:

The kerning between the 1's:

AO4C3219-e1410482897346.jpg

The fact that the 5 is just an upside down 2:

12-ALFORD.jpg?w=850

Glad somebody mentioned this,but i was tinkering with the WVU number set that posted this board not to long ago and i made adjustments to the aforementioned 1 and 5 made it a bit more cosistent w/ the rest.

the original:

900x900px-LL-531ac042_8665362095_ebedd1f

the modified:

Edited by oz615

From a perception standpoint, I agree. But all of these uniform ideas were done over the summer, if not earlier. It's not like the coaches and players are taking time off practice to make uniforms.

But then again, maybe they are. It certainly doesn't appear they've been practicing during practice. :)

It's weird, but I feel that they don't deserve to wear special unis.

WVU's font is tolerable, but the 2, and 5 are very rough. And the 11 doesn't look very good either.

I think Washington would have a solid look if the sleeves were just plain purple, and as said before, Purple and Gold be the home look for most games in a season (they can have one game to wear a different pants combo, that's it), and just flip the jersey on the road to white. Their number font is very solid compared to what Nike has produced over the past few years. (I'm looking at you Tampa Bay!)

Glad somebody mentioned this,but i was tinkering with the WVU number set that posted this board not to long ago and i made adjustments to the aforementioned 1 and 5 made it a bit more cosistent w/ the rest.

the original:

the modified:

That looks so much better! It's amazing what a difference such small changes can make.

12-ALFORD.jpg?w=850

the original:

the modified:

To add onto that here it is with a fixed 3.

9ogdDa7.png

12-ALFORD.jpg?w=850

the original:

the modified:

To add onto that here it is with a fixed 3.

9ogdDa7.png

This last update makes it so much better. Very similar to the Red Sox like someone else mentioned and it loses most of the strange goofiness. I still think WV needs the old slanted font but this would be a definite upgrade.

IMG_20141029_091038_zpsyuwtf30n.jpg

IMG_20141029_091043_zpsdqanfhlt.jpg

IMG_20141029_091051_zpsh2ry5en6.jpg

are the helmets supposed to be brown? Or they maroon? They look pretty cool...except for the tire tread....

I'm still trying to figure out the stripes. Did the original helmet have one going left to right. And the middle strip stops at the top of the helmet?

HGI wins at everything they do. Those helmets are sexy.

Adidas, on the other hand, has failed miserably again with those jerseys.

They went for the reverse jaguars. The uniforms are very weak but that helmet is exceptionally beautiful. Outstanding.

FWIW, Carolina is supposedly wearing either black over black or black over white against Tennessee on Saturday (1 November). Two of our players have tweeted along the lines of new black unis. Which is surprising to say the least, as Spurrier doesn't usually shy away from garnet at Williams-Brice and our set only has white and garnet.

Spurrier confirmed this AM. Gamecocks in black jerseys/pants. No confirmation on the helmet.

Bringing back the maroon helmets with the Gamecock in the circle would be awesome.