College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A photo from an Oregon recruit. Check out all the helmets on the shelf ... past opponents?

B1aRSdbCAAAU7dZ.jpg

I get the feeling equipment teams share helmets with each other. I know Arkansas has random helmets setup all over our equipment room and a some of the teams we've never played before.

2635B185-8756-4511-A842-614876326136_zps

I wish Wisconsin used that red helmet with the big white W on it (right above the guy with the orange shirt)

seems like that is the big 10 section of helmets for them ? seems like it goes big 12 > big 10 > ACC from left to right

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

A photo from an Oregon recruit. Check out all the helmets on the shelf ... past opponents?

B1aRSdbCAAAU7dZ.jpg

I get the feeling equipment teams share helmets with each other. I know Arkansas has random helmets setup all over our equipment room and a some of the teams we've never played before.

2635B185-8756-4511-A842-614876326136_zps

Yes, most, if not all, equipment teams share and save helmets like that. It's interesting to see how the arrange them and show them off. Spend some time on the various twitter pages for EQ teams, especially over the summer, and you'll see their collections.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I'm a fan of ASU's current set. Not all the wacky alts or anything. The basic design of it just has a really good foundation.

Same. When they first announced that set in 2009 it was easily one of my favorites.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I'm a fan of ASU's current set. Not all the wacky alts or anything. The basic design of it just has a really good foundation.

Same. When they first announced that set in 2009 it was easily one of my favorites.

The sets aren't bad (maybe the pants could use some striping, though). The problem is that the excessive use of black and white helmets/pants water down the maroon and gold.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Can anyone tell what any of the helmets on the left are?

On the right, it's Iowa, Rutgers, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, Louisville, Wake Forest, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State and Virginia Tech, but I can't make out any of the others.

I think the white one between the two dark ones is Texas, but I'm not 100% sure.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On the right, it's Iowa, Rutgers, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, Louisville, Wake Forest, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State and Virginia Tech, but I can't make out any of the others.

I think the white one between the two dark ones is Texas, but I'm not 100% sure.

Going left, it's West Virginia, Texas, Texas Tech Oklahoma, TCU and Oklahoma St.

I'm not sure who the gold and blue helmets are that you can see after Okie St. I do know the last shelf is mock ups of all of the different Arkansas helmets that we have worn for like the last 50-60 years. The first one is our current white helmet with the red metallic logo on it.

Going left, it's West Virginia, Texas, Texas Tech Oklahoma, TCU and Oklahoma St.

I'm not sure who the gold and blue helmets are that you can see after Okie St. I do know the last shelf is mock ups of all of the different Arkansas helmets that we have worn for like the last 50-60 years. The first one is our current white helmet with the red metallic logo on it.

Further left of Okie State, I believe I see Baylor (the gold helmet) and Iowa State (dark red helmet), which would keep with the Big 12 theme.

And maybe behind them would be Boise St. Not confident with that one though.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 10/31/2014 at 3:52 PM, pianoknight said:

That's a fluid concept though. A few years ago it was Horns first, Aggies second.

Originally, when the Big 8 expanded by adding 4 former SWC teams, the first three spots were unquestioned - and given to the three "best" Texas teams - UT, A&M and Tech. The fourth spot was being considered for SMU, Houston, TCU and Baylor somewhat equally, but Texas' Lieutenant Governor was a Baylor alum and made a big stink about it, so the Bears got it.

Not so. Texas originally had no interest whatsoever in bringing along anyone other than TAMU from the SWC:

http://www.kilgorenewsherald.com/news/2010-06-29/Advice_%28and%29_Entertainment/Bob_Bullock_and_the_Big_12.html

After Arkansas bolted from the Southwest Conference for the Southeast, athletic directors from the Southwest Conference and the Big 8 began discussions about their own superconference. The talks centered on Texas and Texas A&M joining the Big 8, leaving TCU, Houston, Rice, Baylor, Texas Tech and SMU to fend for themselves in a much weakened Southwest Conference.

The athletic directors overlooked a few critical factors. (Lt. Gov.) Bob Bullock and Gov. Richards were Baylor grads. Bullock and Sen. John Montford, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, were Texas Tech grads, as was House Speaker Laney and House Appropriations Committee Chairman Rob Junell. Stiff-arming them would not be easy.

Bullock, invigorated by the triumph and praise of the previous legislative session, summoned Bill Cunningham of UT and Herb Richardson of A&M to his office early in 1994, when the conference shuffle – converting the Big 8 to the Big 10 -- was on the verge of being a done deal. Glaring at the two men he said, “You’re taking Tech and Baylor or you’re not taking anything. I’ll cut your money off and you can join privately if you want, but you won’t get another nickel of state money.”

The university representatives apparently believed the subject was open for discussion, that they had a negotiating position. When they expressed hesitation, Bullock cut them off. “If you want to try me, go ahead,” he said.

“Governor, we understand,” Cunningham said.

At that moment, for all practical purposes, the Big 8 became the Big 12

"As luck and fate would have it, Texas Tech had some very powerful members of the legislature," said former Tech AD Bob Bockrath. "Candidly, if not for the influence, it'd be the Big 10 — that's taken, so some other name. I don't think Texas and A&M saw Tech and Baylor as equal partners."

TT and Baylor are P5 schools today because of an accident of history. The two schools had the extreme good fortune to have alums holding every high office in the state at just the right moment. That hadn't happened before, and is unlikely to ever happen again. It just goes to show that in life timing is everything. B)

That's a fluid concept though. A few years ago it was Horns first, Aggies second.

Originally, when the Big 8 expanded by adding 4 former SWC teams, the first three spots were unquestioned - and given to the three "best" Texas teams - UT, A&M and Tech. The fourth spot was being considered for SMU, Houston, TCU and Baylor somewhat equally, but Texas' Lieutenant Governor was a Baylor alum and made a big stink about it, so the Bears got it.

Not so. Texas originally had no interest whatsoever in bringing along anyone other than TAMU from the SWC:

http://www.kilgorenewsherald.com/news/2010-06-29/Advice_%28and%29_Entertainment/Bob_Bullock_and_the_Big_12.html

After Arkansas bolted from the Southwest Conference for the Southeast, athletic directors from the Southwest Conference and the Big 8 began discussions about their own superconference. The talks centered on Texas and Texas A&M joining the Big 8, leaving TCU, Houston, Rice, Baylor, Texas Tech and SMU to fend for themselves in a much weakened Southwest Conference.

The athletic directors overlooked a few critical factors. (Lt. Gov.) Bob Bullock and Gov. Richards were Baylor grads. Bullock and Sen. John Montford, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, were Texas Tech grads, as was House Speaker Laney and House Appropriations Committee Chairman Rob Junell. Stiff-arming them would not be easy.

Bullock, invigorated by the triumph and praise of the previous legislative session, summoned Bill Cunningham of UT and Herb Richardson of A&M to his office early in 1994, when the conference shuffle – converting the Big 8 to the Big 10 -- was on the verge of being a done deal. Glaring at the two men he said, “You’re taking Tech and Baylor or you’re not taking anything. I’ll cut your money off and you can join privately if you want, but you won’t get another nickel of state money.”

The university representatives apparently believed the subject was open for discussion, that they had a negotiating position. When they expressed hesitation, Bullock cut them off. “If you want to try me, go ahead,” he said.

"As luck and fate would have it, Texas Tech had some very powerful members of the legislature," said former Tech AD Bob Bockrath. "Candidly, if not for the influence, it'd be the Big 10 — that's taken, so some other name. I don't think Texas and A&M saw Tech and Baylor as equal partners."

TT and Baylor are P5 schools today because of an accident of history. The two schools had the extreme good fortune to have alums holding every high office in the state at just the right moment. That hadn't happened before, and is unlikely to ever happen again.

Timing really is everything. B)

Thanks for clearing up the specifics, my history was a bit rusty.

Still, it's pretty obvious that historically, Tech and Baylor were nowhere near the same class as UT and A&M. For all practical purposes, major college football in Texas was just a battle of Horns & Aggies. Interesting to see how that decision has likely even paved the way for Baylor's bazillion dollar stadium projects, RGIII, a Heisman Trophy and a bunch of unprecedented success. While Tech hasn't risen quite that far, they did have an incredible run with Mike Leach at the helm and players like Harrell and Crabtree.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Still, it's pretty obvious that historically, Tech and Baylor were nowhere near the same class as UT and A&M. For all practical purposes, major college football in Texas was just a battle of Horns & Aggies. Interesting to see how that decision has likely even paved the way for Baylor's bazillion dollar stadium projects, RGIII, a Heisman Trophy and a bunch of unprecedented success. While Tech hasn't risen quite that far, they did have an incredible run with Mike Leach at the helm and players like Harrell and Crabtree.

Moral of the story for Texas Tech (and Kansas for that matter): Don't fire a coach because he's "too mean" to the players. Leach and Mangino took those two programs to places they may never see again, all because somebody got their feelings hurt.

Moral of the story for Texas Tech (and Kansas for that matter): Don't fire a coach because he's "too mean" to the players. Leach and Mangino took those two programs to places they may never see again, all because somebody got their feelings hurt.

I'm sure Leach's firing has nothing to do with the fact that Craig James killed five hookers while at SMU.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm sure Leach's firing has nothing to do with the fact that Craig James killed five hookers while at SMU.
What?????

TT and Baylor are P5 schools today because of an accident of history. The two schools had the extreme good fortune to have alums holding every high office in the state at just the right moment. That hadn't happened before, and is unlikely to ever happen again.

Interesting thing to note:

The state of Texas alone now has enough FBS schools to have its own conference again WITH a conference title game.

...but of course, that can't happen thanks to how college football works now a days.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Interesting thing to note:

The state of Texas alone now has enough FBS schools to have its own conference again WITH a conference title game.

...but of course, that can't happen thanks to how college football works now a days.

you really think that could be a solid conference??

Texas

Texas A&M

TCU/Baylor

Tech

Houston

Rice

SMU

UTEP

North Texas

Texas State

UTSA

This would be one of the weakest conferences ever and the top 4 would run rampid over everybody (i spaced it with how far apart these teams are from each other

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Archived