College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if it will actually happen or not, but usually once a year, a grassroots "blackout" campaign starts for Georgia. This is that week. Reporters are asking at the press conferences, banners are announcing it on campus, etc. Richt has said there was no way it was happening, but assistant coaches and players have hinted at it on Twitter. He also said it wasn't happening for the first blackout in 2007 and that turned out to be a surprise for the players. In ultimate trolling fashion, he wore a black polo today. At the least, if there aren't black jerseys, I expect the crowd to be predominantly black, even if a blackout isn't formally announced.

Yep. This has happened the past five years. Georgia fans show up in black, but team wears red. This year it's a different animal though because the amount of photoshopped black uniform posters that are flying around Twitter is insane. So many people even believe UGA has black jerseys. If they don't by now, they don't. If they do, they do.

I don't know if it will actually happen or not, but usually once a year, a grassroots "blackout" campaign starts for Georgia. This is that week. Reporters are asking at the press conferences, banners are announcing it on campus, etc. Richt has said there was no way it was happening, but assistant coaches and players have hinted at it on Twitter. He also said it wasn't happening for the first blackout in 2007 and that turned out to be a surprise for the players. In ultimate trolling fashion, he wore a black polo today. At the least, if there aren't black jerseys, I expect the crowd to be predominantly black, even if a blackout isn't formally announced.

Yep. This has happened the past five years. Georgia fans show up in black, but team wears red. This year it's a different animal though because the amount of photoshopped black uniform posters that are flying around Twitter is insane. So many people even believe UGA has black jerseys. If they don't by now, they don't. If they do, they do.

I have a friend inside the UGA athletic department (the one in the ESPN commercial) who MAY have knowledge of this or not...i'll ask and see .

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

a6Q05pa.jpg

This is the freedom trophy which Nebraska and Wisconsin will play for Saturday.

It's pretty lame and looks like they couldn't decide what to make the trophy look like because a cheese/corn themed one would look stupid so they just said 'Let's make it 'Murican so people cant hate it'

hope this forced rivalry gets a real trophy soon.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

^This^ As BB will attest one of them even had me fooled for a little while. Looks legit, the only way to tell its not official is the small grey twitter handle in the bottom right corner.

B2FyJ2GIIAAsrg-.jpg

Also as I told BB on Twitter, this might be more of a natural blackout because of the low temps projected during the game and most people only have black North Face jackets.

Edit: This is the link to the picture i was referencing. The Boards don't like the extension or else i'd embed it.

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

I certainly wouldn't put money on the black jerseys for UGA this weekend. I mean, the rumors did start a few weeks ago for the Florida game. So in typical rumor fashion, they just changed the opponent and kept it going. Plus, I don't think UGA even has black jerseys available with the new font and other changes from last year.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I certainly wouldn't put money on the black jerseys for UGA this weekend. I mean, the rumors did start a few weeks ago for the Florida game. So in typical rumor fashion, they just changed the opponent and kept it going. Plus, I don't think UGA even has black jerseys available with the new font and other changes from last year.

This is season 2 for that font.

Like I said, new "from last year"

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I didn't realize 15 months or more was hard for Nike to make a font that they already customized for Georgia. Plus that shade of black is gonna be torture for Nike to try an recreate. Probably impossible....

It's pretty lame and looks like they couldn't decide what to make the trophy look like because a cheese/corn themed one would look stupid so they just said 'Let's make it 'Murican so people cant hate it'

Lame.

Once you have a trophy for every game, they become fairly meaningless.

Let this rivalry happen. If Wisconsin stays relevant (it's tenuous at this point) then let it happen naturally. We don't need a trophy. And sticking a flag on it means it can never change. Trophies are more fun when they are axes, pigs, buckets, etc.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

While watching the A&M vs Auburn game, I noticed A&M WR Speedy Noil (#2) was wearing what appeared to be a baggy long sleeved grey t-shirt under his uniform during the game. With all of the skin tight performance wear being the go to option for long sleeved accessories, it was odd to see a player wearing something so loose fitting in a sport where all the uniforms are as tight fitting as possible. Do any other players wear such baggy and/or mismatching accessories?

auburn-am.jpg?w=695

Yea some say that the tight fit sleeve like UA/Nike make it really slick, so it could make it harder to catch.

Also, with A&M, Devante Harris #1 (player who hit that auburn WR and injured him) he wears a baggy white shirt. I noticed on some shots of him during the game, on the left arm inner bicep area it says "Home of the 12th Man." So they are adidas shirts for A&M.

a6Q05pa.jpg

the "freedom trophy" . . . . thats the best they could come up with? i swear, we Americans are the absolute worst at naming things.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

While watching the A&M vs Auburn game, I noticed A&M WR Speedy Noil (#2) was wearing what appeared to be a baggy long sleeved grey t-shirt under his uniform during the game. With all of the skin tight performance wear being the go to option for long sleeved accessories, it was odd to see a player wearing something so loose fitting in a sport where all the uniforms are as tight fitting as possible. Do any other players wear such baggy and/or mismatching accessories?

auburn-am.jpg?w=695

Yea some say that the tight fit sleeve like UA/Nike make it really slick, so it could make it harder to catch.

Also, with A&M, Devante Harris #1 (player who hit that auburn WR and injured him) he wears a baggy white shirt. I noticed on some shots of him during the game, on the left arm inner bicep area it says "Home of the 12th Man." So they are adidas shirts for A&M.

It may be an Adidas shirt issued to the players, but that doesn't mean it was intended to be worn in a game. Players are issued lots of clothing meant to be worn in practice, meetings, media events, travel, etc.

I didn't realize 15 months or more was hard for Nike to make a font that they already customized for Georgia. Plus that shade of black is gonna be torture for Nike to try an recreate. Probably impossible....

I don't think its going to happen. As its said many times here before, the jerseys would have to be ordered around/before the start of the season. That's what happened with the Blackout in '08, the seniors came to HCMR in the summer saying they wanted to blackout the Auburn game and they ordered them in the summer and they were left in boxes until they turned the lights off for the team prayer before they took the field.

However with the last two times we used black parts of the uniforms (jerseys vs. Bama in '09?) (Helmets & Pants vs. Florida in '09) we lost, and lost by alot, I don't see it happening. Alumi base is way to traditional.

Though as I'm typing this I don't remember hearing what happened to the black pants. I know the black lids and jerseys got sold off in the bookstore. Maybe we'll come out with black pants saturday night ;)

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

a6Q05pa.jpg

the "freedom trophy" . . . . thats the best they could come up with? i swear, we Americans are the absolute worst at naming things.

It's too bad a goofy trophy had to ruin a cool, blossoming rivalry. In the few years that Nebraska's been in the Big Ten, Wisconsin is the team I look forward to playing. I've said it before, but the best trophies come from history and epic stories of craziness. Take the old Nebraska-Missouri Bell. Some frat boys stole a church bell on their way to the game. Or the Little Brown Jug. Michigan actually suspected Minnesota of poisoning their opponents water supply in Minneapolis, so Big Blue brought their own jug of water for the road trip.

That kind of stuff becomes legend and then becomes a trophy. I'm sure in 50 years, the Freedom Trophy might have some luster to it, but that will be a by-product of close fought games and bitter battles for the Big Ten West crown, not because of the Big Ten's marketing savvy.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Ahead of the "Ute Proud" Native American Heritage Month game against Arizona, Utah has released new Ute-designed merchandise. Word is that the helmet for the game is also Ute-designed, so this may be a preview of what is to come.

10708_10152854145945960_2900894142999264

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Archived