College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

Maryland has definitely won the best alternate uniforms this season. Hell even the past few years. Maryland is the Oregon of the East Coast, except with Under Armour, and way better uniforms.

This is far fetched and probably wouldn't happen, but I wonder how a "Red Ops" uniform would look for Maryland

Tell us when they start winning 10+ games a year and go to major bowl games. Oregon is not all fancy uniforms and no substance like Maryland is now. Oregon has capitalized on attention from its uniforms and built some good infrastructure. Let's see if Maryland can do that.
Maryland's uniforms aren't even "fancy"... They're just simple. Like almost every other damn college uniform

I know these are from a couple years ago, but how are these not fancy:

uspw_5526534.jpg

Also, Maryland's uniforms are far from simple. These are simple:

hi-res-d772f3b365d0b46268f1d8309763374c_

These are not:

Maryland-Football-QB-Caleb-Rowe-Mitch-St

maybe it helps if I say they are modernly (I don't think that's a word but it'll have to do) simple. Alabama is traditionally simple.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toledo going grey jerseys with Glass city on the helmets tonight against BGSU.

Promo video:

http://collegespun.com/homepage/video-toledo-football-announces-special-glass-city-uniforms-for-game-against-bowling-green

I'd have to say, aside from the helmet, I really like the set. Not usually a fan of gimmicky gray, but this works imo.

Beats the hell out of the black set they wore last year.

For those who don't know, Toledo is considered the "Glass City" because of the prominence of glass industry in the city (Libbey Glass).

Stadium is also called the "Glass Bowl".

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Promo video:

http://collegespun.com/homepage/video-toledo-football-announces-special-glass-city-uniforms-for-game-against-bowling-green

I'd have to say, aside from the helmet, I really like the set. Not usually a fan of gimmicky gray, but this works imo.

For those who don't know, Toledo is considered the "Glass City" because of the prominence of glass industry in the city (Libbey Glass).

So all of the UnderArmour schools have all worn at least one one-off now right?

Northwestern - Gothic

Notre Dame - Shamrock Series

Texas Tech - too many

Maryland - multiple

Hawaii - Throwbacks

USF - None ?

South Carolina - Return of black (counting this)

Utah - new helmets/ ute script this weekend?

Auburn - Nothing

Colorado State - Orange unis (not technically one off, they always wear them once)

Navy - new helmet, whites worn vs. Ohio State

Temple - New black/cherry helmets

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Maryland has definitely won the best alternate uniforms this season. Hell even the past few years. Maryland is the Oregon of the East Coast, except with Under Armour, and way better uniforms.

This is far fetched and probably wouldn't happen, but I wonder how a "Red Ops" uniform would look for Maryland

Tell us when they start winning 10+ games a year and go to major bowl games. Oregon is not all fancy uniforms and no substance like Maryland is now. Oregon has capitalized on attention from its uniforms and built some good infrastructure. Let's see if Maryland can do that.

Oregon's biggest problem when it comes to visual identity though, is adding too many damn colors. They wear at least 3 different shades of green, and that's not counting the Volt-green/yellow highlighter color. In terms of sticking to a base identity, Maryland wins because they stick to their colors. Sure, Oregon pushes the envelope, but if we're being truthful a large portion of Oregon's combinations and colors are trash. The breast cancer thing was purely a PR-grab, and the pink looked atrocious. Same goes for their "support the troops" uniforms in the Spring game.

Seems like Oregon will find just about any cause to support so long as they can add more colors into their mix and look even less and less like the University of Oregon.

Oregon wears 2 greens, apple and forest green. Additional colors are yellow, black, and grey. That's 5 colors, not counting white which everyone else has. Oregon hasn't worn volt since 2011, which was only for 2 games anyway. The pink uniforms were nothing out of the ordinary considering many other teams wore pink accessories or pink decals. The troop support uniforms have been a tradition since Chip Kelly took over, players present their uniforms to service men and women after the game. Those troops also get an all access pass for that day into the facilities and field. I fail to see how that's a PR-grab.

But anyway, my point is, and we've hammered this point into the ground a million times, while Oregon comes out in a new look almost every week, they are unmistakably recognizable. I don't think anyone has any problems picking out an Oregon game. Let's not forget Maryland came out in their own support the troops uniforms that featured none of their school colors or logos.

Probably doesn't mean anything, but HGI posted a picture in Instagram of their phone cases for The a Civil War and Oregon's was a yellow digital camo with the wings. Like I said, probably doesn't mean anything but you never know.

Interesting

41E4AB9A-03BB-4506-A075-46E87A621927_1.p

That's cool! But you're right it probably doesn't mean anything.

Probably doesn't mean anything, but HGI posted a picture in Instagram of their phone cases for The a Civil War and Oregon's was a yellow digital camo with the wings. Like I said, probably doesn't mean anything but you never know.

Interesting

41E4AB9A-03BB-4506-A075-46E87A621927_1.p

That's cool! But you're right it probably doesn't mean anything.

Haven't you seen Signs? There are no coincidences.

90758391980.gif

Promo video:

So all of the UnderArmour schools have all worn at least one one-off now right?

Northwestern - Gothic

Notre Dame - Shamrock Series

Texas Tech - too many

Maryland - multiple

Hawaii - Throwbacks

USF - None ?

South Carolina - Return of black (counting this)

Utah - new helmets/ ute script this weekend?

Auburn - Nothing

Colorado State - Orange unis (not technically one off, they always wear them once)

Navy - new helmet, whites worn vs. Ohio State

Temple - New black/cherry helmets

I wouldn't say Maryland has multiple one offs.. The only real one off this season was the Star Spangled Banner uniforms. The Black Ops and White Ops uniforms have been around for about 3 seasons now.

UNC has debuted Carolina Chrome helmet tonight:

UNC%2Bvs%2BDuke.JPG

Why is this guy wearing a Cardinals jersey at a UNC vs Duke game on the sideline?

UNC%2Bvs%2BDuke%2B-%2B1.JPG

Previous chrome helmet:

6706666.jpg

West Virginia is wearing throwback helmets with white pants (I really hate their white pants!)

KSU%2Bvs%2BWVU.JPG

spacer.png

He's wearing former UNC defensive end Kareem Martin's jersey. That's Caleb Pressley, former walk-on QB turned signal caller. He has to wear something that stands out so the offense can see him, and we thought it would be cool to wear former UNC football players' jersey's to grab some attention. He wears a different NFL jersey every game too.

Pretty cool Carolina Chrome graphic too. Bet the guy that made that is totally awesome ;)

West Virginia is wearing throwback helmets with white pants (I really hate their white pants!)

KSU%2Bvs%2BWVU.JPG

The white pants work OK with the white helmet though. As I posted a couple weeks ago, it doesn't really look like WVU to me, but from a purely aesthetic point of view, I think these are fine uniforms.

He's wearing former UNC defensive end Kareem Martin's jersey. That's Caleb Pressley, former walk-on QB turned signal caller. He has to wear something that stands out so the offense can see him, and we thought it would be cool to wear former UNC football players' jersey's to grab some attention. He wears a different NFL jersey every game too.

Pretty cool Carolina Chrome graphic too. Bet the guy that made that is totally awesome ;)

He's the 'hype man'. He's pretty hilarious to watch on the sidelines.

Oregon's biggest problem when it comes to visual identity though, is adding too many damn colors. They wear at least 3 different shades of green, and that's not counting the Volt-green/yellow highlighter color. In terms of sticking to a base identity, Maryland wins because they stick to their colors. Sure, Oregon pushes the envelope, but if we're being truthful a large portion of Oregon's combinations and colors are trash. The breast cancer thing was purely a PR-grab, and the pink looked atrocious. Same goes for their "support the troops" uniforms in the Spring game.

Seems like Oregon will find just about any cause to support so long as they can add more colors into their mix and look even less and less like the University of Oregon.

Oregon wears 2 greens, apple and forest green. Additional colors are yellow, black, and grey. That's 5 colors, not counting white which everyone else has. Oregon hasn't worn volt since 2011, which was only for 2 games anyway. The pink uniforms were nothing out of the ordinary considering many other teams wore pink accessories or pink decals. The troop support uniforms have been a tradition since Chip Kelly took over, players present their uniforms to service men and women after the game. Those troops also get an all access pass for that day into the facilities and field. I fail to see how that's a PR-grab.

But anyway, my point is, and we've hammered this point into the ground a million times, while Oregon comes out in a new look almost every week, they are unmistakably recognizable. I don't think anyone has any problems picking out an Oregon game. Let's not forget Maryland came out in their own support the troops uniforms that featured none of their school colors or logos.

Over the last few seasons their color combos are not as cohesive as they once were. They seem much more hellbent on not repeating combos as opposed to actually thinking about what colors actually look good together. Combine that with the two jersey styles this season you have a real muddled visual identity. Hopefully next year they can come up with a more unified look on the field.

Archived