College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the buckeye leaves on the back collar to signify the number of OSU national championships was a short-lived gimmick, apparently.

I'm hoping it was just an oversight during the Photoshop process. The leaves appeared on the undershirt/base layer of the uniforms as of the Saturday game against Wisconsin.

I liked the Buckeye leaves. It was a nice, subtle update to the classic uniforms.

Interesting that Oregon wont have any sleeve or shoulder numbers. I thought TV numbers were mandatory?

TV numbers are mandatory only on NFL jerseys

All 4 teams look pretty good. Ohio State's sleeve stripes are A+. Oregon looks good...just wish they went with the dark pine facemask and dark pine number outline.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So, not trying to sound like a smartass... but is this a pretty big deal around here that all 4 teams in the College Playoff are Nike schools?

Nike is making a big deal because it gives them a chance to show off any new surprises that they had in reserve. The same will happen at the Super Bowl this year too. I'm actually pretty excited about Ohio State, especially since the uniform shown won't be worn at all this playoff season. Ohio State will be the away team and even if Oregon and Ohio State won I doubt we'd see color on color for the National Championship game.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

So, the buckeye leaves on the back collar to signify the number of OSU national championships was a short-lived gimmick, apparently.

no. consider this an alternate uniform for the playoffs. there are more differences in this design than just the buckeye leaves

JP, i think the players have an option to wear pants with a belt or a belt-less pant.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

So, not trying to sound like a smartass... but is this a pretty big deal around here that all 4 teams in the College Playoff are Nike schools?

Nike is making a big deal because it gives them a chance to show off any new surprises that they had in reserve. The same will happen at the Super Bowl this year too. I'm actually pretty excited about Ohio State, especially since the uniform shown won't be worn at all this playoff season. Ohio State will be the away team and even if Oregon and Ohio State won I doubt we'd see color on color for the National Championship game.

Not sure there will be new uniforms in the Super Bowl. Maybe new templates, but there won't be new alternates. Hasn't been that way since Nike got the NFL contract. The NFL won't let that happen.

Not sure there will be new uniforms in the Super Bowl. Maybe new templates, but there won't be new alternates. Hasn't been that way since Nike got the NFL contract. The NFL won't let that happen.

I was speaking more towards the shoes, gloves, hats and sideline gear. The NFL is pretty adamant when it comes to changing up brands during the season.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

no. consider this an alternate uniform for the playoffs. there are more differences in this design than just the buckeye leaves

JP, i think the players have an option to wear pants with a belt or a belt-less pant.

Right. The sleeve stripe, most noticeably, appears to be based off the old style stripes OSU used to wear.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I was speaking more towards the shoes, gloves, hats and sideline gear. The NFL is pretty adamant when it comes to changing up brands during the season.

Roger that - New Era has the lockdown on hats

They released some new team gear lsat year before the SB hyping up the cold weather so I think either SB or playoff specific accessories could be released in the same fashion as the cfb set. Obviously the uniforms themselves won't be touched.

Back in the pre internet days nike/reebok would issue its bowl teams and nfl players next season's cleats. I can remember the air veer and its successors being showcased in addition to reebok launching some wild designs. Anyone remember the shroud with the zipper/neoprene lace cover? At some point they got away from that and then things ramped back up in a big way with the pro combat campaigns.

So are people liking the Ohio State sleeves because they are calling back to the old days or because they look good? Because I get the retro like of them, but it can't be for the straight up looks. They don't match any of the other striping at all even!

Straight up, with no influence of the history, these stripes:

98a9d04fa5909639cb0314cde97c8aca_crop_no

Go way better with the set than these do

NzlLaF7.png

But they work if they are saying it is a throwback to the old team. But people on here can't really be saying they like the old/Playoff stripes because they look better than the ones they've been wearing right?

NzlLaF7.png

People on here can't really be saying they like the old/Playoff stripes because they look better than the ones they've been wearing right?

Yes, people can really say that.

People on here both confuse me yet also never surprise me. They claim to love consistent striping, yet they love their old looks whether they look better or not.

Maybe it's possible that it's different people that love consistent striping and old looks?

Lumping this entire board together as "people on here" isn't fair, as you won't find a consistent opinion on anything.

For instance, somebody was even defending Comic Sans in the NBA thread.

Pattern from Bama's baselayer:

tHfoLzK.png

I get that thats supposed to look like elephant print and thats an alright idea for Alabama, and pretty tame since it's mostly gray and from a distance probably will just appear gray, but Alabama has one of the most unique prints in sports at their disposal in the Bear Bryant Houndstooth, and while an entire houndstooth underlayer would look stupid, why not incorporate it somehow, like a trim as they've done in the past, and maybe not on the jersey (even though if subtle I think would look good), but just a little trim on the base layer. Or Houndstooth numbers or the Logo, such as this: 41pmwziUtgL.jpg

Not asking them to go crazy with it, just a little touch or something.

Trust me, you don't want to see more houndstooth. It's better left off the uniforms.

Although normally I'm a fan of houndstooth, I like the elephant print. It's a nice change, we use the houndstooth subliminally on the gloves normally and they have already incorporated it in two different alternate uniforms. The elephant print is really unique and a nice way to incorporate our mascot, I also like how the print is made up of slogans, I think Nike did a great job with that.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

NzlLaF7.png

People on here can't really be saying they like the old/Playoff stripes because they look better than the ones they've been wearing right?

Yes, people can really say that.

I don't think it's the love of that striping pattern per se but the fact that it has gray on it which the current home does not. People liked having a small bit of gray on the home jersey.

Archived