College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NzlLaF7.png

People on here can't really be saying they like the old/Playoff stripes because they look better than the ones they've been wearing right?

Yes, people can really say that.

People on here both confuse me yet also never surprise me. They claim to love consistent striping, yet they love their old looks whether they look better or not.

I love consistent striping, but I also love these Ohio State stripes, think they never should've dropped them, and think they look better than placing the helmet and pants stripe on the sleeves.

Reasoning:

1. They infuse gray into the jersey, which the regular stripes do not.

2. They highlight the uniform with classic, traditional football striping, which makes the difference between just a football uniform, and Ohio State's classic football uniform. It is what makes it look old school. The cut of the template leaves something to be desired, but it's close enough for me to get excited about.

3. The helmet and pants are the same background color so the stripes absolutely must remain consistent (and they finally corrected this this season by slimming down the black stripes on the pants). But the jersey isn't the same background so it's not as jarring to see different striping. If they had red socks with matching stripes it'd be another great idea.

4. Consistency at all costs can be dangerous and not everything must be the same all the time. Like Oldschoovikings said so well in another thread, "art ain't math".

I'm ecstatic that OSU is going back to the CORRECT sleeve striping, but I assume they will be wearing white jerseys against Alabama. Is that correct?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Pattern from Bama's baselayer:

tHfoLzK.png

I get that thats supposed to look like elephant print and thats an alright idea for Alabama, and pretty tame since it's mostly gray and from a distance probably will just appear gray, but Alabama has one of the most unique prints in sports at their disposal in the Bear Bryant Houndstooth, and while an entire houndstooth underlayer would look stupid, why not incorporate it somehow, like a trim as they've done in the past, and maybe not on the jersey (even though if subtle I think would look good), but just a little trim on the base layer. Or Houndstooth numbers or the Logo, such as this: 41pmwziUtgL.jpg

Not asking them to go crazy with it, just a little touch or something.

Trust me, you don't want to see more houndstooth. It's better left off the uniforms.

Although normally I'm a fan of houndstooth, I like the elephant print. It's a nice change, we use the houndstooth subliminally on the gloves normally and they have already incorporated it in two different alternate uniforms. The elephant print is really unique and a nice way to incorporate our mascot, I also like how the print is made up of slogans, I think Nike did a great job with that.

Two alternates? I thought they just wore the 2010 ProCombat?

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

So apparently the gloves are color changing. Start as white or black and when they're stretched they turn into the team color.

Potentially really cool, or potentially unnecessary.

So there are slits (maybe a ultra small mesh) in the glove, with team color fabric/other fill underneath...

It does sound pretty cool.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Those are the retail versions

Oh. Wow. I'm a moron. There are long sleeves right in front of me and I can't put 2 and 2 together.

It wouldn't shock me if TCU and Baylor came out with some new unis for their bowl games also. I'm sure nike had some unis ready to go for both of them in case they made the playoff. Maybe they'll just remove the diamond neck collar thing.

Adidas and Russell will probably try and fail to do something similar for the Orange Bowl. I wonder if we'll see anything for Michigan State, Boise State, Arizona and Ole Miss too. Even though those are a step down from the playoff, I'm sure Nike won't pass up the opportunity for some New Year's bowl publicity.

Interesting that Oregon wont have any sleeve or shoulder numbers. I thought TV numbers were mandatory?

Only in the NFL.

I love Ohio State's stripes, BTW. The small addition of some gray trim definitely works.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Pattern from Bama's baselayer:

tHfoLzK.png

I get that thats supposed to look like elephant print and thats an alright idea for Alabama, and pretty tame since it's mostly gray and from a distance probably will just appear gray, but Alabama has one of the most unique prints in sports at their disposal in the Bear Bryant Houndstooth, and while an entire houndstooth underlayer would look stupid, why not incorporate it somehow, like a trim as they've done in the past, and maybe not on the jersey (even though if subtle I think would look good), but just a little trim on the base layer. Or Houndstooth numbers or the Logo, such as this: 41pmwziUtgL.jpg

Not asking them to go crazy with it, just a little touch or something.

Trust me, you don't want to see more houndstooth. It's better left off the uniforms.

Although normally I'm a fan of houndstooth, I like the elephant print. It's a nice change, we use the houndstooth subliminally on the gloves normally and they have already incorporated it in two different alternate uniforms. The elephant print is really unique and a nice way to incorporate our mascot, I also like how the print is made up of slogans, I think Nike did a great job with that.

Two alternates? I thought they just wore the 2010 ProCombat?

They wore these too in like 2006 or something.

E.Gray-36-c.jpg

(My grandparents have been snowbirds down in Gulf Shores for awhile now and my grandpa got me into the Tide back when Shula was there, so I've been following them pretty close for a northerner)

I do agree with BigMike that the elephant print is very cool. Just love the houndstooth as well. The gray on the face mask will go nicely with the elephant print.

NzlLaF7.png

People on here can't really be saying they like the old/Playoff stripes because they look better than the ones they've been wearing right?

People on here both confuse me yet also never surprise me. They claim to love consistent striping, yet they love their old looks whether they look better or not.

I love consistent striping, but I also love these Ohio State stripes, think they never should've dropped them, and think they look better than placing the helmet and pants stripe on the sleeves.

Reasoning:

1. They infuse gray into the jersey, which the regular stripes do not.

2. They highlight the uniform with classic, traditional football striping, which makes the difference between just a football uniform, and Ohio State's classic football uniform. It is what makes it look old school. The cut of the template leaves something to be desired, but it's close enough for me to get excited about.

3. The helmet and pants are the same background color so the stripes absolutely must remain consistent (and they finally corrected this this season by slimming down the black stripes on the pants). But the jersey isn't the same background so it's not as jarring to see different striping. If they had red socks with matching stripes it'd be another great idea.

4. Consistency at all costs can be dangerous and not everything must be the same all the time. Like Oldschoovikings said so well in another thread, "art ain't math".

I'm ecstatic that OSU is going back to the CORRECT sleeve striping, but I assume they will be wearing white jerseys against Alabama. Is that correct?

You make good points. The infusing of the gray is nice I'll give you that, and also the fact that it's on different backgrounds is a good one as well.

I hear you. I still like the current stripes better, but I respect those points.

NzlLaF7.png

Loving consistent striping and older looks is no more cognitively dissonant than being both confused and unsurprised by the same group of internet posters.

Know it's been mentioned a little, but on Nike's website it had a little more specifics on Oregon's away unis. says "The away uniform will feature a white and wolf gray combination and white helmets with silver wings."

But the Seahawks are the only team that wears wolf gray

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

To me they look kinda odd with only FSU having outlines in the numbers. I can't recall the others normal uniforms but don't they all have an outline. Just something that caught my eye.

Alabama and Ohio State don't normally have outlines on their numbers.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

New uniform thoughts

Alabama: Cool, a baselayer. As long as it's kewl enough for the 17-year olds. Do whatever the hell you want there Nike.

Oregon: I never really liked the winged helmets, the O's always seemed to be better to me. I'm glad to see them back, hopefully they bring them back full-time. Also, that Kelly Green color is probably my favorite jersey by far now, they've looked great in it recently. Black really doesn't compare to it.

Florida State: I don't understand cutting the collar short, it's probably the first thing they should've fixed and now it's all over both uniforms.

Ohio State: Meh. Hopefully this is a one-game thing, it's not major, but I'm much more used to the current striping pattern. It's a lot cleaner.

Really glad Nike didn't do anything crazy here, especially considering "classic" schools like Alabama and Ohio State were involved.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

My thoughts on Ohio State's uniforms as a fan: They Look fantastic. I have always loved that look. I was really disappointed when Nike switched them to have consistent striping. I actually have a jersey from this era,granted its in horrible shape, it looks exactly the same. Like I said before looks good to me and I wouldn't be against them switching to something like this full time.

cotw_sig_by_bucksfan5-d7bwj72.png

SugarBowl_zps07e2b2c9.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I for one was pretty suspicious of seeing Oregon using the "O" helmet, and I'm starting to feel it was done for the sake of showcasing the new uniform elements in monochromatic format in the press release. I know the release mentions Oregon will wear satin green helmets, but I'm thinking it'll either be their normal wing helmets or Oregon will do whatever...because they're Oregon. The away uniforms will feature their normal white helmet, and I saw this image on Nike's store for the new diamond quest collection.

Bs9aeYe.jpg

Archived