College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be interesting for Ohio State to keep all three uniform sets. With 6 jerseys, they could wear each one twice, or they could stagger it, like: Wear both regular jerseys three times, both throwback jerseys twice, and both oversized/modern jerseys once.

If they keep these they will probably retire the other alts. They've had them for 3 and 2 years respectively.

Ohio State needs to keep these uniforms but go with giant white should numbers instead of normal-sized black numbers.

Agreed.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

And to me, so are Northwestern stripes for teams in the same conference.

Wait... only one team per conference gets to wear northwestern stripes? Awesome! How do they decide who gets to wear them? A coin flip? Or maybe they go head up in overtime rules for the right to wear the stripes?

Not everything has to match on everything in my uni world, but the Buckeyes' helmet stripe looks good on the sleeve. Looks like Ohio State. (I liked it when Iowa switched up theirs from 1996-98 as well.)

Wait... only one team per conference gets to wear northwestern stripes? Awesome! How do they decide who gets to wear them? A coin flip? Or maybe they go head up in overtime rules for the right to wear the stripes?

That went over your head. Northwestern is in the same conference as Ohio State and Iowa.

Not everything has to match on everything in my uni world, but the Buckeyes' helmet stripe looks good on the sleeve. Looks like Ohio State. (I liked it when Iowa switched up theirs from 1996-98 as well.)

That went over your head. Northwestern is in the same conference as Ohio State and Iowa.

Iowa doesn't wear Northwestern stripes, and neither does the Ohio State uniform.

jNTsTyQ.png

Ohio State needs to keep these uniforms but go with giant white should numbers instead of normal-sized black numbers.

I know that word "dated" gets thrown around a lot on this board, but to me, the oversized shoulder numbers tOSU used to wear are very dated.

Plus, back when they wore those huge numbers, they wore huge shoulder pads. As small as shoulder pads are nowadays, it would look awfully strange.

Iowa doesn't wear Northwestern stripes, and neither does the Ohio State uniform.

It's a variation. Does it have a different name?

Well, no... that did not "go over my head"... I'm well aware that tOSU is in the same conference as Northwestern, who wears northwestern stripes.

My question to you, which apparently went over your head, was how should they decide which team in the conference gets to wear them? The joke was, if you think only one team should get to, you'll have to have some sort of competition to decide. But jokes aren't very funny when you have to explain them.

For the record, I wouldn't call tOSU's stripe a northwestern stripe either. And Iowa's reads as a northwestern stripes on their road uniform (three stripes separated by white) but not a home (three stripes separated by another color). But I know that's just my own classifications that work for me in my little OCD world.

Well, no... that did not "go over my head"... I'm well aware that tOSU is in the same conference as Northwestern, who wears northwestern stripes.

My question to you, which apparently went over your head, was how should they decide which team in the conference gets to wear them? The joke was, if you think only one team should get to, you'll have to have some sort of competition to decide. But jokes aren't very funny when you have to explain them.

For the record, I wouldn't call tOSU's stripe a northwestern stripe either. And Iowa's reads as a northwestern stripes on their road uniform (three stripes separated by white) but not a home (three stripes separated by another color). But I know that's just my own classifications that work for me in my little OCD world.

Fair enough, but for the record, I was saying Northwestern should be the only team wearing it in the B1G. Poorly, apparently. :) And perhaps inaccurately, since some don't consider them the same style. That's fine, this is CCSLC. I've just never heard them referred to as anything else, here or elsewhere.

Fair enough, but for the record, I was saying Northwestern should be the only team wearing it in the B1G. Poorly, apparently. :) And perhaps inaccurately, since some don't consider them the same style. That's fine, this is CCSLC. I've just never heard them referred to as anything else, here or elsewhere.

No, I think calling any thin/wide/thin combination of stripes a "northwestern" stripe puts you pretty squarely in the majority around here. Me calling them something else is a clear "its not you, its me" situation :D .

I think about it differently because of a job I had just out of college about 25 years ago at a silk-screen and apparel company. We sold stock football jerseys to high schools and sometimes small colleges with screened-on numbers and stripes. And I can still remember the names for stock striping patterns. In the catalog, a single color thin/thick/thin stripes was called "Northwestern". A single color thin/thick/thin with a second color of trim (like the Vikings wore until the 90's) was called "Northwestern-trimmed". A two color thin/thick/thin (thin stripes one color, thick stripe another) was called a "USC stripe", I guess because it was what USC was wearing at the time. Complicated, right? And a thin/thick/thin stripe with a different color fill between the 3 stripes was called a "Standard Pro stripe"... because at the time, so many pro teams had that look. In the 70's Green Bay, Cleveland, Miami, Pittsburgh (home only), and New Orleans all wore that particular off-shoot of a traditional Northwestern stripe. We didn't sell anything that would match the stripe worn by tOSU (which is kind of ironic since the company was in Columbus) because its 3 colors, making it a special order.

Man, I really am one of those annoying old guys who rambles on about "back in my day"... does that officially start at 50? Apologies all around.

Archived