College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ore-a-gone

That's how it's pronounced here in Toledo and it drives me up a wall. In Montana where I'm from it's ORE-GUN.

I'm an Oregon native and it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. Big reason why I have a hard time listening to many of the talking heads is they absolutely butcher what should be a rather easy word to say.

Ore-a-gone

That's how it's pronounced here in Toledo and it drives me up a wall. In Montana where I'm from it's ORE-GUN.

I'm an Oregon native and it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. Big reason why I have a hard time listening to many of the talking heads is they absolutely butcher what should be a rather easy word to say.

I feel the same when people say Floor-i-duh instead of Floor-duh. It bugs the crap out of me.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I don't get the annoyance at Floor-i-duh since there actually is an I in Florida.

Being a Louisville, Kentucky native, you all know what bugs the hell out of me. And for the record, I say it like "Luhvul". I totally smush the hell out of it.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

It seems like people outside of Wisconsin pronounce it "WES-consin" instead of "Wisconsin" where the "Wis" sounds like the "i-s" in Swiss. Same with Green Bay. That's my biggest pet peeve. Most national media pronounce it "GREEN bay" with a big emphasis on Green instead of just straight "Green Bay" with no emphasis on anything. It's odd/cool/annoying to locals that this happens with places all around the nation.

It seems like people outside of Wisconsin pronounce it "WES-consin" instead of "Wisconsin" where the "Wis" sounds like the "i-s" in Swiss. Same with Green Bay. That's my biggest pet peeve. Most national media pronounce it "GREEN bay" with a big emphasis on Green instead of just straight "Green Bay" with no emphasis on anything. It's odd/cool/annoying to locals that this happens with places all around the nation.

I've never heard anyone say Wisconsin the wrong way. That's weird. But yeah I hate when people put a big emphasis on the first word of a two word or compound name. Goodwill for example should flow right of your tongue and sound like one word. Instead we have people saying Good...Will, and it annoys me to no end.

I guess this is what the college football 2014 thread has turned into; a discussion of annoying pronunciations.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

If the person also gravely mispronounces other words, then whatever. They just have a speech impediment.

Even though I live in Oregon, I'm a Nebraska native (shocker!) and I've had some extended family say Neeeee-braskuh and Eye-o-Way. Would have thought the corn states were pretty self explanatory on pronunciation.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Idaho is not Iowa. I have met somepeople who don't know the difference.

Tell me about it. I live in the Twin Cities and when I tell people I'm from Idaho, they ask, "Which part? Des Moines or Cedar Rapids?" "No, Idaho. You know, the state that gave you Harmon Killebrew?"

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Try Auburn. You get that pronounced so many different ways it's ridiculous. (Let's not get started with Opelika either...)

There's a way other than Aw-burn? :blink:

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Try Auburn. You get that pronounced so many different ways it's ridiculous. (Let's not get started with Opelika either...)

I say it like Johnny Cash does/did... tell me Johnny didn't lead me astray?

Idaho is not Iowa. I have met somepeople who don't know the difference.

This one must be more common than I thought.

My family moved to California for a short while when I was a kid. I would often tell people that We moved here from Iowa. So many times, they would respond with something to the effect of "Oh, you must be a fan of potatoes".

Archived