College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

I personally think Wisconsin still isn't doing its uniform right. The good looking red helmet was a nice step, but they should adopt a new look that distances them from Nebraska.

Well shouldn't Nebraska try to distance themselves from Wisconsin as they are the newer school in the Big Ten?

No. Nebraska has a storied program that spans decades with multiple national championships. Wisconsin was a perennial doormat until Alvarez got there in the mid 90's. They basically copied UN's look when they were at their peak. Based on pedigree Nebraska gets to own the white/red/white with 2 stripes.

I can deal with that explanation! Thanks

spacer.png

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. I know they practically wear the same uniform, so the helmet logos make the uniforms in this case. The motion W is far superior to the plain N. Therefore IMHO Wisconsin has the better uniform.

As far as the Badgers changing to accommodate the Huskers. Screw Nebraska! Wisconsin shouldn't have to change a thing to accommodate the Huskers. A founding member of the conference SHOULD have precedence over a relative newbie that's been in the fold for only three years. The past is the past. Those Big 8/Big 12 glory days are long gone.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The question comes down to this:

Do you believe in conference seniority and perhaps nepotism (advantage Wisconsin), or do you believe in historical prowess and on-field achievement (advantage Nebraska) as the criteria for uniform ownership? Or maybe, you're more level headed and realize that two teams can have a similar look without trying to kill each other.

Obviously I'm biased, but consider that Wisconsin's greatest success as a program came from hiring a former Cornhusker to coach their team and then head up their athletic department. I have nothing but respect for Barry Alvarez and what he was able to accomplish. You can't take that away from him. But just as you can't take away his Rose Bowl victories and long streak of wins at UW, you also can't take away his Husker roots as a player being mentored by legends like Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne. Sorry, Irrational Badgers, Barry's the same guy and you can't get all choosy about which part(s) of him you want to claim.

Some Wisconsin fans (clearly not ALL) want to claim sole ownership of the Red & White. I think most Nebraska fans would be satisfied if those folks realized that the history of Nebraska football helped birth a lot of what goes on in Madison. That's not to claim that the Cheeseheads are carbon copies of the Cornheads - they have their own traditions and pageantry just like any other unique program - but to act like Alvarez didn't grab inspiration from his days in Lincoln is foolhardy.

Again biased - but if you're going to model yourself after a college football program - you can do a lot worse than Nebraska.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

unless you are paul brown trolling art modell in making the bengals uniforms look nearly identical to the browns, copying another teams identity is rarely a good idea...borrowing an element here or there as an homage is fine but a blatant ripoff is lazy design. now that the two schools compete in the same division the situation is 1000x more absurd.

You always seem to love up to your username, critical thinker.

There is never an okay time to add black to your uniform when it just doesn't belong, even if it you're making an attempt to "stand out". Wisconsin should've added an updated W on the front of the helmet instead of this "bfbs" we see so much.

Hmm, should Nebraska or Wisconsin be the B1G team to have the red/white stripes look?

both.png

Because this is a dick measuring contest. It's a contest to see who has the most power in the B1G.

If there's a debate here, I can't help but feel it comes from Wisconsin. NU fans are generally known for their hospitality and "live and let live" mentality. Generalizing, but as a collective fanbase, Nebraska doesn't really have an issue with UW wearing the same uniforms.

It's less a problem with the uniforms themselves and more a problem with the attitudes of select, vocal Wisconsin fans who act like they invented the color red.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Both the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln should be able to keep their uniforms. I think the original red Motion W logo (created in 1991) is Wisconsin's best helmet, not the one with black stripes & facemask. Big Ten members Rutgers, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maryland, Indiana and Ohio State all have a form of red as a primary color that is half the conference 7/14.

Both the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln should be able to keep their uniforms. I think the original red Motion W logo (created in 1991) is Wisconsin's best helmet, not the one with black stripes & facemask. Big Ten members Rutgers, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maryland, Indiana and Ohio State all have a form of red as a primary color that is half the conference 7/14.

The difference being that UW and UN have the exact same uniform with the only slight differences being the helmet stripes (1 vs. 2) and the decal on the side.

Either Nebraska or Wisconsin should switch apparel companies. Nebraska with Nike would differentiate themselves from Wisconsin and adidas. Nike would do a lot better with the pants stripes than adidas does, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Adidas started to get out of college football and didn't offer new contracts after the current contract run out. That's my hope at least.

Either Nebraska or Wisconsin should switch apparel companies. Nebraska with Nike would differentiate themselves from Wisconsin and adidas. Nike would do a lot better with the pants stripes than adidas does, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Adidas started to get out of college football and didn't offer new contracts after the current contract run out. That's my hope at least.

Judging by their recent design efforts and product offerings it seems like they're not really investing in football at all but given that their big clients are department wide they would likely have to get out of big college sports altogether.

Judging by their recent design efforts and product offerings it seems like they're not really investing in football at all but given that their big clients are department wide they would likely have to get out of big college sports altogether.

Which isn't happening.

Which isn't happening.
I can't believe Adidas would stay in college sports for basketball. I'm read that 90-95% of all basketball shoe sales are Nike and Jordan Brand.

Archived